• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New install, sound problem

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
My brother had his new Virgin BB/phone/TV package installed today and finding a intermittent problem with the sound. Its connected to his AV amp (Denon Yamaha RX-V3800) via optical and set to dolby digital in the Tivo's settings. Sometimes there's sound in the preview window but not when he goes to full screen, but can get it back by toggling between the two a few times. The same optical audio and hdmi were used with a Sky+ HD box (plus amp) and there were no such sound problems.

One other thing I was surprised with is that he only got the 500gig box and wondering what qualifies you for the 1tb version?. (Big Kahuna with movies + sports)

thanks
joe

Last edited:

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Thanks Mike. So do you know if dolby digital can be carried to his amp via hdmi as he currently has it as tivo --> amp --> tv, and could do away with the optical cable?, (seemingly being the culprit anyway)

mike7

Distinguished Member
As far as I know,yes,but someone else might confirm this. I ran into the same problem but stuck to optical and stereo. I could use the hdmi input on my amp but haven't got round to trying it. I don't think there is much Dolby Digital surround stuff on regular TV anyway and I don't want to use my amp all the time, just for Blurays.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The TiVo and all other Virgin HDMI equipped STBs can output multichannel Dolby Digital via HDMI. If the AV receiver includes HDMI inputs and has HDMI audio capabilities then you can do away with the optical connection from the TiVo to the AV receiver and simply use just the HDMI output from the TiVo to convey both audio and video to the receiver.

I can't comment on whether your brother's receiver is suitable because you appear to have got the model wrong? Denon have never made a model called the RXV3800???? Do you mean the Yamaha RXV3800? If so then yes, it will be suitable.

One other thing I was surprised with is that he only got the 500gig box and wondering what qualifies you for the 1tb version?. (Big Kahuna with movies + sports)

You've to request the 1TB box and you'd pay an initial £49.95 one off payment for it. The 500GB box is free. Both boxes incur the same £5 monthly cost.

Last edited:

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
The TiVo and all other Virgin HDMI equipped STBs can output multichannel Dolby Digital via HDMI. If the AV receiver includes HDMI inputs and has HDMI audio capabilities then you can do away with the optical connection from the TiVo to the AV receiver and simply use just the HDMI output from the TiVo to convey both audio and video to the receiver.

I can't comment on whether your brother's receiver is suitable because you appear to have got the model wrong? Denon have never made a model called the RXV3800???? Do you mean the Yamaha RXV3800? If so then yes, it will be suitable..

Yes sorry, I meant Yamaha (his previous one was a Denon).

With regards to the 1tb box, iff it had been me, I would have gone into every detail before signing on the dotted line, but I think he genuinely assumed going from Sky's top package (with his 2tb box included) that Virgin would do similar... their top box + full package (a bit of naivety maybe). A call to them might turn something up though, worth a try :).

Last edited:

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
Just a (belated) final update on this. We removed the optical cable and that did the trick in clearing up all issues described :smashin:.

Not done anything about the terrabyte box yet.

thanks.

metalguru

Established Member
Yeah funny that Virgin still spout the 500gb as their standard box especially when the cost of hd's isn't that different, proves to me they will probably sack tv at some point especially as they won't have any 4k content to show. Probably just concentrate on broadband unless they choose to sell that to the highest bidder

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
I don't see VM dropping their TV output. It's a large part of their business. They are looking at upping their quadplay offering now that BT has bought EE, with Vodafone supposedly their new best friend. I reckon that the 500gb boxes are customer returns/refurbs, which is why they push them by default, as they have so many of them.

Clem

metalguru

Established Member
No they still produce Samsung 500 as new not Cisco though, quad play hasn't worked for them in the past, Jesus even with my rates it's nearly the same as other mobiles do for the normal customer it's sh*te

INXS

Established Member
i've been trying to get round the DD output via optical issue. Called VM customer services and after nearly an hour complaining about an error they've known about for ages, I got a £10 credit!

however, as of this morning a handful of HD channels have DD output now but only when watching them "live". films etc recorded in 5.1 can only be replayed in stereo after changing the settings to PCM output.

the fact they haven't even changed the connection details and other blurb online is just rubbing my nose in it!

Joe Pineapples

Distinguished Member
i've been trying to get round the DD output via optical issue. Called VM customer services and after nearly an hour complaining about an error they've known about for ages, I got a £10 credit!

however, as of this morning a handful of HD channels have DD output now but only when watching them "live". films etc recorded in 5.1 can only be replayed in stereo after changing the settings to PCM output.

the fact they haven't even changed the connection details and other blurb online is just rubbing my nose in it!

That seems to be Virgin's solution for most of their problems, including over subscribed (broadband) areas and slow speeds, which they might fix some time never.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom