New Install advice..

thfccambs

Ex Member
Reaction score
Ok looking for a little advice/help from you good AVF sat members.

Just getting my garage converted and will be looking to put a DM/V+Duo in there. Now at the moment i have a 1m motorised dish and 60cm dish used for sky.

The 1m dish has an 1 input lnb, i have just ordered one of these though. HERE. The 1m dish feeds my DM8000 in the house and i was looking to add a 2 LNB input so i could also run the 1m dish to the garage and a DM Etc out there. Now i take it i'd probably need to keep one box in stand by whilst using the other? As 2 boxes can't run 1 dish?

Also i'd probably run a feed from my 60cam dish also to the garage, if i went for a 1 sat tuner box then i'd use an A2B switcher box (which i already have).

Now can anyone advice on a better way to set this all up? Or advice in general? Main problem will be garage is at the end of the garden so i'd say i would be looking at 40/50m of cable from dished to sat box.

Thanks

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You could look at using loop through, we usually have 2 or more receivers looped together... all on the same motor- the 1st stb has total control of the motor & band / pol' & any other stb can access whatever sat the 1st is on & the channels on the band/pol it is on- when you put the 1st on stand by that gives the 2nd stb control

Why not have 2 motorised, a number of our customers do & we have at least 2 motorised at any one time ... a larger motorised dish sheltered low down that just gets 45e-45w & a smaller one high up for deeper east/ west sats.

or... just cable the a/v HD . & RC to the garage.

pedro2000uk

Thanks for reply, i wish i could have 2 motorised. Her in doors does here nut on money/time i spend on my hobby as it is. Hadn't thought about loop together. Not even sure if DM8000 allows this. So i'd just have a cable from dm8000 straight to my other sat box input? Then the DM8000 would control the 2nd one?Unless DM8K was off?

Thanks fo replies, did think about sticking another dish up put think neighbours would kick of.lol

I got an identical set a couple of weeks ago - working fine,

I got an identical set a couple of weeks ago - working fine,

Can you please explain further Log? :thumbsup:
How you have it set up?
What you have set up?

Take it your on about the splitter mate?
:confused:

Cheers

I used a two way splitter for a couple of years (1 passive input, one active) with my old Panasonic $ky box & the original Passion HD, it was a bit of a pain because I had to let the $ky box control on the active DC power pass through as the wife didnt grasp the concept of how it worked:suicide:. The one in the link has DC power pass through on both inputs, so as long as a Dreambox 8k (Like a $ky dodgy box) dosnt remain band selective when in standby it should work fine.:smashin:

Take it your on about the splitter mate?
Yes, splitter, 2 cables but white, used, f-combiner, f-plug to aerial combiner, two screws, not used!
It takes the satellite out feed from my Technomate and feeds that into the Fortec and into my new HD+ Technotrend. With the Techno off that feed used to work perfectly with just the Fortec as it if were connected directly to the DiseqC switch's output. Now it does the same with whichever of the two receivers is powered on. It sounds like gl had something like it, though he loses me on active and passive, in this sense. :D

Last edited:
Yes, splitter, 2 cables but white, used, f-combiner, f-plug to aerial combiner, two screws, not used!
It takes the satellite out feed from my Technomate and feeds that into the Fortec and into my new HD+ Technotrend. With the Techno off that feed used to work perfectly with just the Fortec as it if were connected directly to the DiseqC switch's output. Now it does the same with whichever of the two receivers is powered on. It sounds like gl had something like it, though he loses me on active and passive, in this sense. :D

With the passive input on a two way switch the receiver connected to this cant actually control the LNB & is only allowed to "see" what the receiver on the active port is selecting, for example back in the day I had to select the "Brit Shorts" channel on the $ky box so I could then watch the ITV HD channel on the Fortec Star (Same Transponder!). I hope this clears this up for you.:)

It does - I could have worked it out but thought I'd let you save me the brainwork. :smashin:

The fact that the $ky box continues to power the LNB input whilst in standby:thumbsdow, was the stick in the mud in this kind of set-up.:smashin:

Yes, I leave my Sky receiver out of it altogether - it has its own separate connection to the dish.

The fact that the $ky box continues to power the LNB input whilst in standby:thumbsdow, was the stick in the mud in this kind of set-up.:smashin:

This might explain why $ky dodgy boxes have such woeful standby power consumption rates, 48W while is use, 40W in standby:eek::suicide:.

This might explain why $ky dodgy boxes have such woeful standby power consumption rates, 48W while is use, 40W in standby:eek::suicide:.

The idea of that was to keep the LNB warm & stop it getting covered in snow/ice in winter & yes they didn't have any thought of the costs to customers or the planet.

It costs about £1 a watt a year if it's on 24/7/365 - about £40 to £48 on those figures... how did you get those figures btw?

The idea of that was to keep the LNB warm & stop it getting covered in snow/ice in winter & yes they didn't have any thought of the costs to customers or the planet.

It costs about £1 a watt a year if it's on 24/7/365 - about £40 to £48 on those figures... how did you get those figures btw?

Fluke Multimeter!:smashin:

Whats best sat cable to use? Would need about 50m in total.

You could look at using loop through, we usually have 2 or more receivers looped together... all on the same motor- the 1st stb has total control of the motor & band / pol' & any other stb can access whatever sat the 1st is on & the channels on the band/pol it is on- when you put the 1st on stand by that gives the 2nd stb control

Pedro, this looks like it could be the way for me to go.

So would i only need a single LNB?

Cable goes from LNB to my DM8000 (which i'm hoping can do the loop) then from my DM8000 to 2nd reciver in garage?

When DM8K is of the 2nd reciver will control dish?

Hope im getting the right idea about this? :smashin:

those were used for splitting your cable/ntl/virgin feed, not sure it would work for sat as im sure the lnb will be recieving power even when your box is in standby and might play havoc with the h/v voltage switching, why not just run a second lead to the dish directly and use the dmweb interface to control the reciever thats hooked up to the motor

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Pedro, this looks like it could be the way for me to go.

So would i only need a single LNB?

Cable goes from LNB to my DM8000 (which i'm hoping can do the loop) then from my DM8000 to 2nd reciver in garage?

When DM8K is of the 2nd reciver will control dish?

Hope im getting the right idea about this? :smashin:

Yes... it needs to be setup right in configuration.. most non Linux receivers will just work ..

Once note of caution- some receivers just don't like to loop through together but most are OK..

its cabletv/broadband usage allowed multiple devices access to a single input simaltaniously, not possible with sat though.

A twinoutput lnb and a second cable run would be a much better option, at least then you can use both recievers.

its cabletv/broadband usage allowed multiple devices access to a single input simaltaniously, not possible with sat though.

A twinoutput lnb and a second cable run would be a much better option, at least then you can use both recievers.

it can be done but it's not simultaneously, although you can do it on a lot of receivers simultaneously on the same band/pol & even on different pols if the signal is strong enough & there's very low adjacent noise.

You could have a twin & do both- loop through or both on their own LNB feed

I prefer to just TX the image & infrared remote control from the one box & have two motorised receivers.. the 2nd motorised doesn't need to be big- a well tweaked motorised sky dish is ideal for putting very high up to get the bigger arc with the bigger motorised low down for the weaker stuff - that's the best .

Sent DM an email, didn't think i'd get a reply though.

basically this would work, but the built in tuners of the dm8000 have no lnb
out, so you'll need an additional tuner module (DVB-S) from the dm7025.

The disadvantage of this method is, that the built in tuners aren't connected
to the lnb cable, and due to the fact that the mentioned tuner module doesn't
support hdtv, you couldn't receive hd channels with it.
By the way: the dvb-s2 plugable tuner of the dm800 are not suitable for the
dm8000 and can cause several problems!

So the best way for having best functionality and quality is to place a 2n lnb
cable!

Thanks

Mit freundlichem Gruß, Best Regards

Marcel Folgnandt
Tel.: 0180-3 44 11 30 990
Fax 0180-3 44 11 30 991
eMail: [email protected]
web: startseite | dream-multimedia-tv.de
Dream Multimedia Ticketsystem :: Login