1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Info regarding Sky Hi-Def

Discussion in 'TVs' started by gizlaroc, Feb 23, 2005.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I have decided to post this on the undersatnding this was from someone within Sky (high up) and they have said that this is how it is at the moment, in other words folks, things can change!!!!

I will just paste a copy of our conversation and I will update it if/when they gets more info, you can read into it what you want, he does know what he is talking about and on the things he doesn't he says.

Apperently Sky are going to keep component out until the market allows for hdmi, in other words when there are enough customers out there with the right equipment.
    Also it seems it wil be mainly the big events that will carry HDCP, not regular tv shows etc.
    Anyway I thought that might interest some, and I am sure there are others that know quite alot about what is planned for UK HDTV, so come on spill the beans.

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Problem with that, is that without sports and movies who the hell is going to pay £400+ and £10 a month just for a few tv shows? If it weren't for sky sports I would probably have stuck with a digital freeview box. There really isn't all that much stuff on Sky worth the expense, (that isn't a freeview channel already). As a component only hi-def tv owner, the fact that I can't watch football or movies means they may as well have made it hdmi/dvi only as far as i'm concerned.

3. RecordablDVDfan

RecordablDVDfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Thought it was going to be a rip off! It's $ky after all. What we should have and deserve are the 5 main channels starting an HD version of their channels FTA, after all many progs BBC produce are HD now apparently. Even Home and Away on Five is produced in HD by CH 7 in Australia...

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    No, he said that initially it would be component for everything, until the market could cope with going over to HDCP encrypted material, and then it would only be for big sports events and major movies.

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    that is good info gizlaroc if its true cause a lot of people have stopped buying our plsmas and lcd(sony) due to the hdmi connections

6. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Home and Away is SHOT in HD (1080/25p). However this material is downconverted to 576/25p for editing - which uses standard def DigiBeta techniques (the 25p material is edited as 50i - but care is taken to do nothing that would vertically filter the material - so no DVEs etc. - so the 25p vertical resolution is retained, with no 50i flicker reduction introduced)

The 576/25p is then upconverted to 576/50p by simply repeating frames for transmission.

Whilst there is an improvement over shooting 576/50i - there are real question marks as to whether you can really describe 576/25p as "HD"...

Once they move to HD editing for Home and Away - then things will be different.

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    Thing is, it's not just Sky that will be using HDMI connections. It seems likely that HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players will insist on it also. Then it's not just about compatibility, but getting the best possible picture signal to your tv. With dvds using hdmi and future consoles likely to etc, I can't see why anyone would opt for a plasma/lcd without the connection. Unless the set was heavily reduced. Which puts stores in a difficult position of trying to get rid off stock that may well be obsolete in a year or two.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think this is tending to confirm what a lot of us had been expecting all along - not much extra content for quite a big outlay. Importing stuff from Euro 1080 is not an exciting prospect - European programming has never been exciting - only recently the main attraction on a Saturday moring on Euro 1080 was the funeral of one of the members of a royal family ! I'm not going to be holding my breath for the Sky HD launch :rolleyes:

9. GAC

GAC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but we will all buy it and though :D

i have a feeling large retailors will get stung with this one as no one is training there staff on HD at all in currys, and we are shifting sets for fun atm.
    and anyone buying will be thinking there spanking brandnew plasma will be fine for many years to come. and atm the only hd one we have in is the 435fde and there not selling much we seem to shift pan's and lg's as well as the beloved techwood ?!

10. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Gadget Show on 5 mentioned the HDMI & SKY thing a couple of weeks ago so its only a matter of time before Nicky Campbell and co start having a go at retailers. Only the other week I was looking at the Sagem 50" DLP showing HD via PC and a salesman started on about SKY HD, thing is the very set he was talking about didn't have HDCP DVi. I was gonna mention the factI could just tell it would have been lost on the poor chap.
    Feel sorry for my local Sony centre though as they went to all the bother of getting a Blue RAy DVD machine in to show off their panels and then SKY drops the big one! Still from whats just been said at least the present stuff will accept the component output for most content.

The sooner SKY put out a definative answer the better for all concerned.

By the way the latest SKY mag aint got as many panels advertised for sale, dont suppose there's any connection!

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That's because people are buying HDTV-capable plasmas based on not much more than rumour and speculation. Before I went out and bought a super new expensive sports car that ran on 7* petrol, I might take a cruise around and see how many petrol stations I could fill it up at :suicide:

12. dalespitfire

dalespitfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'm not following this. It just seems as confusing as ever to me!! :rotfl:

If Sky are charging £400 for a new HDMI Hi Def box, and another £10 per month for High Definition, I reckon there will be uproar when people paying that subscription that only have component connections suddenly have something taken away from them when SKY switch to HDCP, especially if it's movies and sport. I mean how can they judge when the market will be ready? Is it 2 years, 5 years, 10 years. I'd be surprised if they bring out hardware with HDMI sockets if they don't intend to use them for the next 5 years, I would imagine the average lifespan of a sky box is far less than that anyway.

I guess that whenever you turn the switch on HDCP, there will be people that can't receive it. :( Fortunately I wont be one of those as I have the Tosh DLP :)

From what you are saying, it sounds as though there will be Hi Def versions of the Standard Def channels. I'm only summising this, but I'd have thought that the premium content (i.e Movies 1,2,3 and Sports 1) will be HDCP encrypted for Hi Def at £10 per month and the Sky/BBC stuff free, because not all the content will be HD. :lease:

Also Sky tend to start of by charging subs for things, then drop it off (i.e the sky+ £10 subscription). I can't see them doing this this time unless they drop off the £10 charge and then start charging for individual Hi Def sporting or movie events. Again, I can see uproar if they were to do that. :thumbsdow

I don't know, just the insane ramblings of someone who has too much time on their hands at lunch, so please don't shoot me down in flames!! :D

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    sure, but you are wise to the situation - many others are not, and the Sky information wasn't even around when I bought my LCD screen, so I and many others now have HD capable sets that seemingly won't fully support the HD solution from Sky. Not exactly ideal.

14. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    My situation isn't that ideal - I have owned a non-HDTV-ready plasma for about 4 months now. However, I figure that it will be at least 3 years before there's enough HD material around to make a HDTV worth while, and another 2 years before the prices have dropped to a sensible number so that I can buy one. In 5 years I won't mind relegating the old plasma to another room.