New iMacs on the way!

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apple is advising resellers that the supply of iMacs will be severely constrained in the immediate future and new orders for the 24" 3Ghz model are unlikely to be fulfilled.

This is code for we're running down stocks 'cos a new model is being released imminently. I'd guess in the next two to four weeks at most. I wonder if they'll be quad cores, as Intel have only just announced prices on them? Roll on Snow Leopard

AppleInsider

Last edited:
Haven't seen anything as definite as the reseller announcement but they are unlikely to release the same day unless there's a press conference for the two. They are more likely to release a week or two later to maximise the PR.

Haven't seen anything as definite as the reseller announcement but they are unlikely to release the same day unless there's a press conference for the two. They are more likely to release a week or two later to maximise the PR.

surely if they are close together,they'd have a shared event. Unless they are month/six weeks apart. Plus the imacs are only a warm over surely? New CPUs but I don't expect anything revolutionary on the design front.

I don't know there is an event and as to staggering the launch they will squeeze the last ounce of publicity from anything they do so launching two Macs too close together would waste that unless it was a campus PR event.

If they go quad core in the iMac its apparently a complete internal redesign because of the heat issues aside from the supporting chips. That strikes me as the sort of design innovation they'd want to trumpet.

The huge fuss they made about the "unibody" was nothing but a history lesson as they'd used the techniques a year earlier to build the Air. So if they can make a huge deal out of that they might be tempted to do the same with an iMac redesign.

Let's be honest this is Apple, they could make a sensation out of announcing that water was wet....

It would be nice if they dropped the "with screen" and replaced the iMacs with a tower......

They will never drop the 'all in one' imac its way too popular. The mini is their budget tower.

surely if they are close together,they'd have a shared event. Unless they are month/six weeks apart. Plus the imacs are only a warm over surely? New CPUs but I don't expect anything revolutionary on the design front.

I dont think so either, I know for starters I do not want a tower and a separate monitor tht would be a big no no for me. I see the design staying the same or maybe a colour change to matt black.

Not only the price but also the spec - extra for wi-fi, bluetooth, etc. Its a beautiful beast but fitting it out is ÂŁÂŁÂŁ.

On reflection its odd to think of spending >ÂŁ2k on a home computer but cf. my first two 386 PCs were about ÂŁ2.5k each! Its now only expensive because we have so much more choice and much (netbooks) of it very cheap indeed.

I've currently got a 24" intel mac and was considering a 3.06ghz iMac until I heard rumors of there being a new iMac soon.

I've decided to go for a Mac Pro. I know they seem expensive but if you think how long a Mac pro will last. Upgrades are never ending whereas iMacs seem to change all the time. Don't get me wrong I love the iMacs but Mac Pro just seems ideal for upgrade for the future.

Luckily the fiancees sister is a student so will be getting me 17% of the Mac pro which works out at ÂŁ450 saving and I'm going to purchase a discontinued 23" Apple display:thumbsup:

Great kit but also the size of it! Before moving to OS X I ran Shuttles for years and got used to the SFF - I say we need a Mac Pro Cube! Though Jobs would never build it as it would be a throwback to his Next cube.... :devil:

At the end of the day if a refreshed mini includes a DisplayPort then a mini + 24" LED would make nice alternative to an iMac, but then again, why not just buy an iMac?

I had the obligatory amiga (somehow missed out on the spectrum etc. as parents thought they were a fad)
My first bought by me pc was a P2 cost around 1300 same went for the next one a P3 150mhz WOW!!!
and that was only around 10 years ago!!!
So yes I agree the pro is expensive owing to all the other stuff available and will take much umming and ahring about when I come to buy my next desktop machine
Not only the price but also the spec - extra for wi-fi, bluetooth, etc. Its a beautiful beast but fitting it out is ÂŁÂŁÂŁ.

On reflection its odd to think of spending >ÂŁ2k on a home computer but cf. my first two 386 PCs were about ÂŁ2.5k each! Its now only expensive because we have so much more choice and much (netbooks) of it very cheap indeed.

I know but the price is outrageous for the average family to afford it

I don't think the average family is exactly the consumer base Apple has in mind.

Being v. selfish, I'm glad the upgrade is going to be in the next couple of months as I want to buy an iMac for work in about three months' time.

FWIW, my hunch is: faster processors, relatively minor tweaks, and a touch screen option. All coming with Snow Leopard as standard.

Just you wait for the new Mac Pro's, they may see a slight price increase. There due in the next 3 or so months and will pack a punch, POSSIBLY dual 8 core Xeon chips, that's 16 core's!!! But that is a rumour and nothing more as Intel are rumoured to be launching 8 core CPU's in the Xeon range.
Yes the Mac Pro is expensive, but it IS aimed at pro's live video editors and music professionals and Apple make the apps to go with them.

Just you wait for the new Mac Pro's, they may see a slight price increase. There due in the next 3 or so months and will pack a punch, POSSIBLY dual 8 core Xeon chips, that's 16 core's!!! But that is a rumour and nothing more as Intel are rumoured to be launching 8 core CPU's in the Xeon range.
Yes the Mac Pro is expensive, but it IS aimed at pro's live video editors and music professionals and Apple make the apps to go with them.

For the average user (Internet, music, viewing photos, playing free games), words cannot describe how over-powered the Mac Pro is for them.

It's always been said that if you know you're going to want to upgrade regularly, buy a PC.

It'd be nice if the iMac was much easier to upgrade and had more upgrade options but you buy it knowing that you only get one chance to choose your spec.

Apple is advising resellers that the supply of iMacs will be severely constrained in the immediate future and new orders for the 24" 3Ghz model are unlikely to be fulfilled.

This is code for we're running down stocks 'cos a new model is being released imminently. I'd guess in the next two to four weeks at most. I wonder if they'll be quad cores, as Intel have only just announced prices on them? Roll on Snow Leopard

AppleInsider

One insider reckons it might be March.

New Apple iMac "almost ready"

For the average user (Internet, music, viewing photos, playing free games), words cannot describe how over-powered the Mac Pro is for them.

It's always been said that if you know you're going to want to upgrade regularly, buy a PC.

It'd be nice if the iMac was much easier to upgrade and had more upgrade options but you buy it knowing that you only get one chance to choose your spec.

Totally agree with you, however Laptops are now selling more then desktops and they are the same one chance purchases so it is a changing consumer market place. But the iMac is a powerful beast and not many people upgrade there computer components compared to how many people own one.
Lots of people use consoles to game on now so they have no need for upgradable desktops, perhaps that's helped laptop sales?

Totally agree with you, however Laptops are now selling more then desktops and they are the same one chance purchases so it is a changing consumer market place. But the iMac is a powerful beast and not many people upgrade there computer components compared to how many people own one.
Lots of people use consoles to game on now so they have no need for upgradable desktops, perhaps that's helped laptop sales?

Maybe a lot of people are buying Apple laptops because although they don't do heavy gaming on them, they know that they can play the free downloadable games on the web site on the move.

Some people probably just prefer having a larger screen or have no need to work on the move.

Maybe a lot of people are buying Apple laptops because although they don't do heavy gaming on them, they know that they can play the free downloadable games on the web site on the move.

Some people probably just prefer having a larger screen or have no need to work on the move.

Three other factors that haven't been considered so far:

(1) build quality
(2) design
(3) Vista

I don't think the average family is exactly the consumer base Apple has in mind.

Being v. selfish, I'm glad the upgrade is going to be in the next couple of months as I want to buy an iMac for work in about three months' time.

FWIW, my hunch is: faster processors, relatively minor tweaks, and a touch screen option. All coming with Snow Leopard as standard.

I just do not like the iMac very much and prefer a tower with a good monitor
I am trying to create some pro quality artwork and photo's then maybe some vids; Sooo the pro is the way to go for me I believe as I feel the imac and mini are just not what I want they seem like toys tbh (but then I have never used one in anger as they say so could be very wrong here!!!!)

I just do not like the iMac very much and prefer a tower with a good monitor
I am trying to create some pro quality artwork and photo's then maybe some vids; Sooo the pro is the way to go for me I believe as I feel the imac and mini are just not what I want they seem like toys tbh (but then I have never used one in anger as they say so could be very wrong here!!!!)

Must say that's the first time I've heard the iMac described as a "toy"! :suicide:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom