2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo with 4Mb L2 Cache 800MHz FSB

'new' revision iMac
20"
1Gb RAM
250Gb HDD
ATI 2400XT 128Mb
2.4GHz Intel core 2 duo with 6Mb L2 Cache 800MHz FSB

...which one represents better value?

The 'old' has better GPU and storage, but has the new one anything to offer performance wise with it's larger L2 cache and general enhancements being a new model?

Cheers!
Adam

MrSossidge

Distinguished Member
Which one is better. There's only one way to find out....

FIGHT!!!

Not exactly constructive I know, but I couldn't resist.

TheBigApple

If it was me, I'd go for the old one purely based on more storage space and GPU performance.

Monty1977

Plumped for the 'old' one ... GPU is quite a bit better than that of the new iMac (the 20 incher anyway), storage is better and as you say the difference between the 2 CPUs is prob next to nothing.

...transferring data from my Macbook now - lovely bit of kit!

Cheers,
Adam

Chester

That's quite unbelievable, in fact I had to go to the Apple site to double check. So, there's a new faster 24" iMac whilst the base 20" model gets a shave. I'm finding this kind of thing all the time with Apple, making the 'straight forward' option not quite so.

Sorry, I don't think that's right somehow.

Monty1977

That's quite unbelievable, in fact I had to go to the Apple site to double check. So, there's a new faster 24" iMac whilst the base 20" model gets a shave. I'm finding this kind of thing all the time with Apple, making the 'straight forward' option not quite so.

Sorry, I don't think that's right somehow.
In fairness to apple the 'old' iMac I went for wasn't the bottom of the range 'new' one I'm comparing it to.

I 'think' the old base spec was 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo, 180Gb HDD, 128Mb ATI 2400, 1Gb RAM .. mine would have been the old top of the line 20 incher which retailed at £950 originally so mine was effectively discounted old stock.

I do agree however that the newest iMacs don't offer a great deal of extra bang for the buck - not the 20 inch models anyway.

Adam

jont

Think the 0.26Ghz CPU upgrade is bettered by the new graphics card in the top-end 24" ... hoping it adds a bit of oomph to photo/video work - as well as the odd bit of pkr poker under Fusion/XP ;-)

Jon