New Humax HDR-1000S Freetime PVR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, a Google of "new freesat box" looks to indicate that G2 will be announced tomorrow Tuesday.

G2 (I have subsequently read up) is an update to the whole freesat platform. Better integrated catchup services, downloads and on demand stuff. It will require new boxes. The details, including Netflix integration are to be announced tomorrow. It seems that most tech sites know, but the story is embargoed until the announcement goes out.

G2 (I have subsequently read up) is an update to the whole freesat platform. Better integrated catchup services, downloads and on demand stuff. It will require new boxes. The details, including Netflix integration are to be announced tomorrow. It seems that most tech sites know, but the story is embargoed until the announcement goes out.
At least two new G2 units will appear soon (I think very very soon)

read the profile http://www.ibc.org/page.cfm/Action=Exhib/ExhibID=30/loadSearch=1195575_5842

Last edited:
Sounds interesting - keep any news or comments to this one thread please - Logiciel

<free time> from freesat

Humax HDR-1000s 500GB box available later this month.

The pundits regarding Netflix were wrong.

Why release a new Internet connected device without WIFI ???

Crazy :suicide:

Be interesting to see if 4OD and Demand 5 come to the original Foxsat.

Looks quite nice but will wait for some reviews as with Online Demand services being on Smart TV's and BLu-Ray players now this will need to be a very good box to upgrade from my existing foxsat.

Why release a new Internet connected device without WIFI ???

Crazy :suicide:

Be interesting to see if 4OD and Demand 5 come to the original Foxsat.

Looks quite nice but will wait for some reviews as with Online Demand services being on Smart TV's and BLu-Ray players now this will need to be a very good box to upgrade from my existing foxsat.

Youview has 6 online content options for all plus BT Vision for their bb customers. not using MHEG-IC means <Freetime> is going to be the poor relation in terms of content and a lot clunkier in use.

not using MHEG-IC means <Freetime> is going to be the poor relation in terms of content

These have HTML5, surely there is no need for MHEG-IC and the potential is there for much more content?

Youview has 6 online content options for all plus BT Vision for their bb customers. not using MHEG-IC means <Freetime> is going to be the poor relation in terms of content and a lot clunkier in use.

I'm not at all convinced that you are correct regarding this being the "Poor Relation". A YouView type service for freesat with an integrated EPG [Free Time] is exactly what I want, and I suspect quite a few other people would be interested also!

Graham.

Anybody know, or guess, as to how this "Free Time", for past programmes, is delivered? Is it by satellite, or is it integrating BBC iPlayer etc into the EPG and therefor BroadBand delivered?

Broadband of course.
I guessed that, in which case, having seen BBC iPlayer on my TV, it strikes me as not quite the giant step forward it is portrayed as being. The announcement carries the unstated but underlying message that you can backtrack to any programme in the past week. That is clearly not the case. It is simply an improved EPG, not an improved service.

I guessed that, in which case, having seen BBC iPlayer on my TV, it strikes me as not quite the giant step forward it is portrayed as being. The announcement carries the unstated but underlying message that you can backtrack to any programme in the past week. That is clearly not the case. It is simply an improved EPG, not an improved service.

An EPG with integrated "On Demand"/"Catch-Up" for freesat is just what I am looking for. If "free time" becomes a successful service then it will surely evolve over time to become the new standard EPG for freesat. I am not at all keen on the mish/mash way that "On-Demand" TV is delivered at present (YouView for FreeView excepted of course).

Graham.

I think you are making assumptions based on the current (perhaps Foxsat) low-resolution implementation of selected programmes. I expect something much better.

As far as I can see, the only real negative highlighted in the TechRadar Review is the lack of Wifi (Not the end of the world).

I'm starting to get quite excited about "free time" and these new G2 freesat boxes, not easy at my advanced age :)

Graham.
Humax will be selling a WiFi dongle for those that want it.

Humax will be selling a WiFi dongle for those that want it.

Thanks.

It would be much nicer if Wifi was built in!

No big deal though, I have been meaning to wire up ethernet in the lounge for some time now.

Graham.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom