New Humax Aura and Manhattan T3-R owners

Ranger500

Novice Member
Having read the various threads on the Humax Aura and Manhattan T3-R, many of which were back in late 2020. I was wondering what the thoughts are now, as they've both had large software updates since. The T3-R just a few weeks ago.
As many have commented, no machine is perfect. My previous Sky Q box would freeze, requiring a full unplug.
I binned Sky a month ago and now rely on putting a USB stick into my Samsung Q90 TV (via it's OneConnect box) Very flakey indeed. To my shock, the latest Samsung Smart TVs do not support Freeview Play, and rely on their own Samsung TV Plus. Not ideal...
I'm wanting to purchase one of the two above machines. I've had a Humax Freesat in the past. Didn't like it's EPG. Painfully slow and had this green banner across it, which most people hated.

Having Netflix and Youtube on the boxes is not a deal breaker, as I have them on the Samsung Smart TV, and they stream perfectly.

So, how are you getting on with your new (ish) Aura and T3-R?🤔

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Happy with my T3-R. Not many issues at all, in real terms. Company support is first rate when needed, unlike Humax, in my experience. The only real grumble is the lack of multi tuner capability, which the Humax has. I wouldn’t hesitate on buying a second box, which may well be the case if my extension ever gets built!

bingodisco

T3-R works very well for me. I also have Sky Q but tend to find the T3-R gives a slightly better image quality on the main HD channels. The box is also quieter and more reliable than Sky Q. It’s much easier & faster to skip ad breaks on recordings too.
It’s app selection is poor though & they can be glitchy but, like you, I use apps elsewhere.

Ranger500

Novice Member
T3-R works very well for me. I also have Sky Q but tend to find the T3-R gives a slightly better image quality on the main HD channels. The box is also quieter and more reliable than Sky Q. It’s much easier & faster to skip ad breaks on recordings too.
It’s app selection is poor though & they can be glitchy but, like you, I use apps elsewhere.
I got my T3-R on Friday. All well so far, apart from one occasion when the remote wouldn't wake it up. Had to unplug the power cable, then it worked. I thought that issue had been rectified in the latest firmware update?

Xenomorph

I got my T3-R on Friday. All well so far, apart from one occasion when the remote wouldn't wake it up. Had to unplug the power cable, then it worked. I thought that issue had been rectified in the latest firmware update?

Is this via HDMI control? They did apparently fix some issues regarding that, but I've noticed it still takes two attempts to switch the box on via my TV remote.

Ranger500

Novice Member
I can't remember if had enabled HDMI at that point, but I did pair the T3-R remote with my Samsung TV Smart remote.
I was using the T3-R's remote, the light was flashing, but the light on the T3-R stayed red.

sparkysdream

Standard Member
Another thumbs up from me on the T3-R. Had it about a month now and it’s a lot quicker than the humax fvp-4000t it replaced. No problems at all, nice simple and clear user interface and good 4K upscaling of free view hd channels.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes. The firmware does need a few tweaks here and there, but overall it seems a good lump and support, if needed, is spot-on.

Pulse1

I have both the Humax Aura and the Manhattan T3-R boxes, for picture on the HD channels set for 1080i output to a 1080p display the Manhattan T3-R has a clearer sharper image. Tested both boxes on the same display and for me the T3-R has a better picture hands down. Also the T3-R has Auto refresh rate without faffing about unlike the current state of the Aura when you set the output resolution to 1080p. The Aura has far too many Resolution choices with different refresh rates that are then locked to the one that you choose. All that is needed is either 4k or 1080i/p with auto refresh rate like what the T3-R has but the Aura makes it all a mess really. So far it all goes the T3-Rs way unless you require more apps with Android tv and Chromecast then get the Aura. Currently both boxes don't have Netflix or Now native apps although the Aura has Prime Video. But out of the two the Manhattan T3-R is the winner as far as a Freeview recorder goes for better image and simplicity.

Last edited:
Also the T3-R has Auto refresh rate without faffing about unlike the current state of the Aura when you set the output resolution to 1080p. The Aura has far too many Resolution choices with different refresh rates that are then locked to the one that you choose. All that is needed is either 4k or 1080p with auto refresh rate like what the T3-R has but the Aura makes it all a mess really.
For information, the aura also has Auto refresh rate available as an option.

Pulse1

For information, the aura also has Auto refresh rate available as an option.
Not if you select a 1080p resolution as it then gives you choices of either 24/50/60hz and you have to select a hz setting as i described in my above post and then it shows everything at the chosen hz setting. As stated in the settings on the Aura itself you have to select Auto as the resolution setting for Auto refresh rate to work if you then select Auto refresh rate to On. Another problem with the Aura is when you select Auto resolution and then while using the Prime Video app, all content is upscaled to 4k if you have a 4k display so you then have to select 1080p 24hz via the S/AD button on the remote control and select 1080p 24hz for HD movies etc to be output at 1080p 24hz.

neuty

Distinguished Member
We have had the Aura on two occasions and sent back. Just buggy and had to reset each one. Moved to the T3-R over a week ago, and so far its working a treat.
It has no fat when using and just keeps it simple. The remote is good, UI is good and its been ultra reliable........so far. Hope it stays that way.
My wife is the only user of it and I've had zero complaints or calls while at work about the T3-R, but was getting them daily with the Aura.

We replaced a Humax fvp-5000

lostinspace

I've just noticed that if I set an advance recording on my T3R it also sets the +1 option. I'll do a test to see if it actually records the second broadcast.

neuty

Distinguished Member
I've just noticed that if I set an advance recording on my T3R it also sets the +1 option. I'll do a test to see if it actually records the second broadcast.
ours picks up the +1 too but doesn't record it. I think its all to do with the recording clashes where it will offer an alternative.......possibly.

lostinspace

It's correct that it doesn't record the second choice, but when setting recordings in the guide it looks like some recordings won't work because times are already booked.

Stejay

I have just cancelled Sky and picked up the Humax Aura. A major niggle for me, is there not an easy way to toggle subtitles on and off? I hate live subtitles, but I don't want to have to trawl through multiple menus to turn them on and off.

I have just cancelled Sky and picked up the Humax Aura. A major niggle for me, is there not an easy way to toggle subtitles on and off? I hate live subtitles, but I don't want to have to trawl through multiple menus to turn them on and off.
Press S/AD button, then < or > button, then Back button.

Stejay

Press S/AD button, then < or > button, then Back button.

Doh! I looked at the remote control yet somehow missed that button, How stupid do I feel now? Thank you!

Stejay

Has anyone managed to pair their LG CX with a Humax Aura? When I try to pair a new set-top box the only options I get are, Sky SD, Sky Q, Virgin or BT TV.

junitrules

Standard Member
Hi all. Having just binned sky Q I've been looking at the T3R. I've been searching the forums but I can't find the answer...

500GB says 300 hours recording, presumably this is SD? Does any one have any real world figures of what it can store please in HD hours?

Deciding whether to get 500GB ot 1TB.

I think it will mainly be f1 highlights on ch4hd and bake off. Nothing will stay on there that long!

Thanks!

lostinspace

We don't keep anything on the T3R once it's been watched, and we save all episodes of a series before we start watching. We have about six series recording at the moment (plus some wife rubbish), all in HD and the hard drive has never been more than about 30% full.

bingodisco

Hi all. Having just binned sky Q I've been looking at the T3R. I've been searching the forums but I can't find the answer...

500GB says 300 hours recording, presumably this is SD? Does any one have any real world figures of what it can store please in HD hours?

Deciding whether to get 500GB ot 1TB.

I think it will mainly be f1 highlights on ch4hd and bake off. Nothing will stay on there that long!

Thanks!
My 500Gb T3-R has never gone below 75% free space remaining, that’s with recording only HD channels, multiple series, several movies etc. Unless you’re recording all the soaps & reality shows under the sun then 500Gb is more than enough for F1 & Bake Off!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky reveals content lineup for 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs now feature Apple TV+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Magico announces Titan 15 subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett