1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by p00hbear, Jun 6, 2005.

1. p00hbear

p00hbear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I am thinking about setting up one but also to use as a desktop/workstation.

I have an existing system and some of these parts will move into the new machine.

I plan to get the following:

Shuttle Spacewalker SB83G5M and Pentium 4 540J 3.2 HT chip.

I will reuse ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, 72GB Raptor, 300GB SATA HD, Pioneer 109.

For the OS, if I install MSE 2005, are there restrictions on what I can do i.e. that Windows XP Professional has? If so, would a virtual image work? I.e. have Windows XP as my host system and MSE 2005 as my virtual system?

I would like to know if someone has a similar setup i.e. the shuttle in question. I've heard it maybe a bit noisy and may produce some additional heat with the 9800.

Thanks in advance.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not sure what you mean by 'restrictions on what I can do', MCE is basically XP Pro I believe, not sure what you're looking to do that even Home doesn't support, Pro only offers domain logins and SMP support AFAIK (and maybe software RAID 5).

There's little chance of an HTPC working from within a virtual machine if my experience of VMWare is anything to go by (a superior virtualiser IMX than that M$ bought and now badge).

I don't know that shuttle specifically but from my experience with other boxes like older Shuttles, I'd expect heat to be a problem with a high-powered gfx like the 9800, which in turn makes the fan work harder. Also, you'll need 4 molex connectors and that could be a problem, not to mention the amount of power you'll be drawing with 2 disks, DVD and gfx.