1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HTPC :: Wha'd'ya think

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by loonatic, Mar 8, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Decided to build myself a HTPC :smashin:

Not new to PC's at all but am new to HTPC's.

Am looking at the following spec, what do you guys think.

I plan to use it mainly for DVD playback on my HS10 PJ but will also indulge in the odd gamming session and a spot of web browsing.

It will also be used as an MP3 jukebox using a software front-end I have written myself.

Spec:

Chyang Fun SF968 Barebones :: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=1421
    Hercules Radeon 9700 Pro :: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=5326
    Intel P4 2.4GHz 533FSB [got]
    512MB PC2700 Memory [got]
    Pioneer 106 Slot Load DVD [got]
    Maxtor Diamond Max9 120GB HDD [got]
    Gyration Ultra suite Keyboard/Mouse :: http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/product.php?view=3026

Anything missing ? or any suggestions for changes ?

The mobo has onboard 6 channel sound with optical out so will use that for now but might upgrade in the future.

Have not decided on software yet but will most likely start with XP Pro/PowerStrip/TheatreTek combo.

Cheers, Lee

2. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get a Sapphire Radeon 9700 instead of the Hercules 9700 Pro. Load the 9700 pro bios. Bingo, instant 9700 Pro and £100 cheaper if you buy from Komplett.

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sounds good...except Komplett not expecting stock until 21st March :mad: Dabs have them :clap: but for £20 more :mad:

Where would I obtain said BIOS ? and what are the chances of something going wrong ? what about my warranty ?

Cheer, Lee

4. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee,

I had to wait a few weeks to get mine and it arrived last week, if you're not in a hurry it's worth the wait. Like a lot of things there are risks in messing about with hardware, though with the Sapphire 9700 there doesn't appear to be anything in particular that can go drastically wrong. Even if it does, as long as you take a copy of your original BIOS you can put things back to the way they were. If you need a copy of the 9700 Pro BIOS and flash software just PM me and I'll sort.

Read as much as you can, this is a very good starting point - http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33654738 - and you should be OK. Haven't flashed my BIOS yet as I need a few more bits and pieces for my dream machine, rest assured I'll be posting photo's and stats as soon as I am able to. Go for it.

5. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nearly forgot. The beauty of the Sapphire card is that it comes with Samsung memory, the Rage3D thread will explain the significance of this memory.

6. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe the Overclockers price is £199.00 plus VAT and delivery. The Komplett price is £192.00 inc. VAT and delivery!

8. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Cool stuff !
    I was going to spring for a 9700 pro for my workstation in the coming weeks. Top info!

9. orion76

orion76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go with a DIGN case as it fits in better with your other AV equipment and more importantly it has more room inside for noise reduction modifications and extra PCI cards.

[​IMG]

Those little zoomy fans can drive you mad, no matter how quiet the vendor will claim they are. I'd definately take a look at these noise reducing options:

http://www.quietpc.com/uk/products.php

Also with a small case like you chose you will almost certainly become frustrated with the lack of extra PCI slots for additions and upgrades such as extra TV-tuner, video capture or video processing cards such as the HOLO3DGRAPH. Part of the fun of having a HTPC is to be able to upgrade and modify it which will not be possible with a mini case.

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you want a decent full width case look at an LMP case. They've got their own forum on here with all the info you will need.

11. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also can't recommend the LMP highly enough. Its fantastic build quality and looks great too. Worth considering if you have the money (which it sounds like you do if you have an HS10 ;-)... me jealous...

12. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    What will you use for a sound card?

13. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Just a quick update.

I like the LMP case and the DIGN case but they are really too big for my needs and I only want to use the system for DVD playback, as an MP3 jukebox, playing the odd game and internet access.

I am not really interested in making it into a scaler using dscaler or HOLO3D or in adding a TV Card etc.

I bought the above items but found that the Chyang Fun barebones system was way too loud, very nice looking, but too loud. So I have returned it to be swapped for a Shuttle SB51G. I allready have a SS51G so know them to be quiet running.

I will use the onboard sound which has an optical SP/DIF out straight into my AMP.

I must say that the Gyration Ultra RF keyboard/mouse combo is excellent. The little keyboard has a very good feel to it - I am using it now - the only thing I have yet to get used too is the small backspace key. The mouse is funky...it has a small buttun underneath whihc activates the gyroscopic function so you can use the mouse in the air which works well but will take some getting use too.

Thanks for the comments...keep 'em comming.

Cheers, Lee