• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New HTPC GPU's?

crazyfool_1

hey guys,
As I'm sure alot of you are aware the oem only card which were released a few month ago by nvidia, GT 210/220 are going to be released on monday to retail. Now I only found out today after about 3 months of tweaking and spending alot of money that my 8200 mb would struggle at 1080p playing blu ray no matter what i did. So i'm looking for an upgrade maybe to one of these cards depending on when the reviews are released. That said I was wondering if any one knows if they would be any good or has one in a shop bought system? I'm guessing just about any card can handle hd content now but it seems I am always wrong so please enlighten me.

wHoMe

No graphics card is going to work with 1080p if you don't use software that makes use of hardware decoding in the chip either DXVA or Cuda otherwise your reliant on your boards CPU

As far as I'm aware your 8200 supports DXVA and Cuda which is all a new card would use as well for video playback so you wouldn't gain anything just adding a new card you need the correct software for hardware decoding if it still can't cope then you need a faster CPU

Last edited:

crazyfool_1

The 8200 chipset supports dxva and cuda as you said but it just isn't powerful enough to handle 1080p without stutter. Trust me, after 3 different cpus including the 7750 which according to numerous internet sources is the solution to poor playback on 780g/8200 chipsets the conclusion is it just isn't powerful enough. I even stooped as low as installing windvd9 when powerdvd7/8/9 and tmt3 had the same issue. So... moving away from that you reckon these new gpu's will be up to the job?:)

wHoMe

For a start I don't know what board or CPU your using when you only put 8200 and 7750

I can't see a new graphics card making any difference to video using hardware acceleration when its still going to be using DXVA or Cuda in exactly the same way as the 8200 chipset

Are you sure you were actually using hardware acceleration because it doesn't sound right to me

Last edited:

crazyfool_1

A new gpu will make adifference as for starters it will have onboard memory, more stream processors etc... However you don't seem to understand. I'm not asking for help fixing playback issues with my current motherboard + config. I'm past that stage, the motherboard just isn't capable and thats it. I'm just asking do people think the newer gpu's will be able to handle blu ray playback which I assume they will and has anyone got one of the oem ones in one of their systems to maybe give us an idea of how good/bad they are.

wHoMe

It sounded like you were going to add the new card to that board and keep the same CPU, I was trying to point out that the new card will accelerate video using DXVA or Cuda in exactly the same way and to the same degree as the 8200 you don't get more powerful versions of DXVA and Cuda because you have a better card not to my knowledge, I will be happy to be corrected

lbphillips

crazy

I am in a similar position to you.

I have a ASUS M3N78-VM Nvidia 8200 based board in my HTPC

2gb ram, AMD 5050e cpu and running Windows 7

this is connected via hdmi to a Sony amp, and then on to a Samsung 40" LCD, also via hdmi

While it is fine for most thing - avi, mkv @1080p, blue ray, etc I have always been a little disappointed.

BBC HD plays fine, but ITV HD stutters all over the place. Also when watching live tv (even just SD) bringing up the media center overlay, i.e. the TV guide, caused the picture behind to start to stutter.

I also perceived the mediabrowser interface to be sluggish.

I have just installed, i.e half an hour ago, a passivly cooled Ati 4550 graphics card.

I have only had time for a quick play but so far, to me anyway, everything has improved greatly.

The card is still conected to the amp via hdmi. Audio works fine - better even, I don't appear to miss the start of windows sounds that used to happen with the onboard.

ITV HD plays without stutter, bringing up the interface over the top of live tv is much smother, no jerkiness in the background.

A quick blast of an avi, dvd and mkv has yielded no problems.

I say go for it :)

let me know if you have any questions.

wHoMe

That makes perfect sense a more powerful gpu will effect the OSD performance and I would imagine ITV HD and BBC HD might be due to the way it handles interlaced material

crazyfool_1

I have actually tried a passive 4550 before and you are right it corrected all of my issues. However my case is an antec which only fits an antec psu and it kept switching off the pc because either it was getting too hot or it couldn't cope with the power consumption, even though its rated up to 350w 80+. I'm hoping the new nvidia cards will run cooler, however at this point if the new gpus solve my issues and the psu can't cope i think its time for a new case/psu.

lbphillips

really? I'm using an Antec NSK2480 case with the 380w psu.

No problem so far, but I have only been running for an hour or so.

Just tried a blu-ray (bladerunner, if it matters) and it looked and sounded awsome.

What other components do you have?

I have:

Nvidia M3N78-VM motherboard
AMD x64 5050e with stock cooler (but ordered a Scythe Shuriken Rev.B to replace this)
2gb ram
Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-HD-S2
LiteOn IHOS104-37 4xBlu-Ray, 8x DVD Reader
500gb samsung hard drive
all in a an Antec NSK2480 case

wHoMe

I'm hoping the new nvidia cards will run cooler, however at this point if the new gpus solve my issues and the psu can't cope i think its time for a new case/psu.

Graphics cards are designed to handle high temps as they do get hot and any card is going to get hot when accelerating video because the graphics card gpu is doing all the work instead of the cpu, its either hot cpu doing all the work or hot GPU doing all the work

Are you sure it wasn't high temps causing problems with your 1080p

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom