New HTPC Build - advice sought

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Michael909, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Michael909

Michael909
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm looking to build a new htpc as a single replacement for both my home linux server and my Sony RDRHXD770 DVD recorder. Looking for something quiet, low power and able to handle the normal requirements of a media PC plus file and dev intranet server.

Firstly, does anyone have any experience of MythTV from a usability perspective? I don't want to lose functionality / usability over my existing setup (or upset the family by making things too complicated).

I'm drawn to the Moneual 320B case, which is by far the prettiest HTPC case I've seen with the features I'm after. Unfortunately it's also expensive, so I'm wondering whether to save money by going with AMD over Intel. My two builds / options are set out below. Comments/ thoughts most welcome -

AMD Build (£665)

• Moneual 320 Series Slim Line Home Theater Chassis Mon-320B
    • 3 * Fractal Design 40mm 4000rpm Silent Case Fan
    • ASUS F2A85-M LE AMD FM2 Motherboard
    • AMD A-Series A6 5400K Black Edition FM2 CPU with Heat Sink Fan
    • AK-CBFA04-15 4pin PWM 2 into 1 power Splitter cable
    • Cooler Master GeminII M4 RR-GMM4-16PK-R1 CPU Cooler for All intel/AMD CPU's Low Profile
    • BlackGold BGT3620 High Definition PCI-e Card, Dual DVB-T/T2, Dual Digital DVB-C
    • Western Digital WD20EARX 2TB Caviar Green Quiet SATA 6Gb/s IntelliPower 64Mb Cache 8ms HDD
    • be quiet! 300W SFX uATX PSU 12V Version 3.2
    • Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 2000 MHz CAS 9-10-9-27 Dual Channel Desktop
    • 24x DVDRW from Liteon IHAS124-04 OEM Black SATA
    Intel Build (£748)

• Moneual 320 Series Slim Line Home Theater Chassis Mon-320B
    • 3 * 40mm Noctua NF-A4x10 FLX Low Noise Fan
    • Asus P8H77-M PRO Intel H77 Socket 1155 Motherboard
    • Intel Core i3 3220 Ivy Bridge Dual Core
    • Cooler Master GeminII M4 RR-GMM4-16PK-R1 CPU Cooler for All intel/AMD CPU's Low Profile
    • BlackGold BGT3620 High Definition PCI-e Card, Dual DVB-T/T2, Dual Digital DVB-C
    • Western Digital WD20EARX 2TB Caviar Green Quiet SATA 6Gb/s IntelliPower 64Mb Cache 8ms HDD
    • be quiet! 300W SFX uATX PSU 12V Version 3.2
    • Corsair Memory XMS3 Classic 4GB DDR3 2000 MHz CAS 9-10-9-27 Dual Channel Desktop
    • 24x DVDRW from Liteon IHAS124-04 OEM Black SATA
    Everything but the case comes from Scan.

2. Michael909

Michael909
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I ordered the BlackGold tuner as above, but it was no use at all with Mythbuntu, due to the drivers being locked to one of two historical kernel versions. It was swiftly returned, and I've now ordered the cheaper TBS card as shown below.

Managed to save some money on the case by getting a Cheiftec HM03B shipped from Germany via Amazon UK. This is a very nice case, and a good alternative to the Moneual - and half the price. Fortunately I snapped up the last one, but left a review on Amazon, should any more become available.

Can't say too much about Mythbuntu until the tuner card arrives, but I've got the vfd working, and the remote seems to be something like. Not done too much with the joypad mouse yet though...

Here's my final build. Cost with delivery £692.