New HTPC Build - Advice and Questions

adamukkent

Standard Member
Hi all

I hope you are well and can help me

I have just build my 1st HTPC and most has gone through smoothly. Not got all the bits yet..>Some are from old machines etc. ILl give you my spec below then the questions

Build

Case - Antec NSK2480
Processor - AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 2MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-MA78LM-S2H 760G Socket AM2+ DVI VGA HDMI Out 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard
Memory - Corsair XMS6400 2GB (2X1GB) 800MHZ
CD - Some old one of an old PC- Doesnt even fit properly but works :)
HDD - 500gb something or other..Will upgrade to Samsung Spinpoint

Questions

1) Need a cheap CD Drive that will be same colour and flat fronted so it fits nicely. Will upgrade to BlueRay soon
2) The sound is not working. I have 2 connectors on mobo 1 is AC97 and 1 is HDMI. There is only 1 place to put the sound. I tried the HDMI and it didnt work. Do they both need plugging in..if so how or what do i need to do. Not tried AC97 yet
3) Need a cheap keyboard that has mousepad on it. Just like a laptop.
4) Also, any other upgrades suggestions etc would be great

BTW got WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE

Thanks in advance

longplay

Standard Member
The sound is not working. I have 2 connectors on mobo 1 is AC97 and 1 is HDMI. There is only 1 place to put the sound. I tried the HDMI and it didnt work. Do they both need plugging in..if so how or what do i need to do. Not tried AC97 yet

It should come over the HDMI (you shouldn't need to plug in the AC97 connector as well), check that it's enabled and selected in your sound setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom