1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HT Models from Sony? - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Matty N, Apr 22, 2001.

1. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bet that got your attention!

Seriously though, does anyone know/has heard of this years product line up for HT projectors from Sony. So their VPL-VW10HT fell a little short of the mark, and they're now appearing to be selling the 16:9 panels to other manufacturers (ie. Sanyo) in order for them to also make 16:9 models.

But is this because Sony has something in the pipeline that is better. Seems to me that if the technology could have been substantially refined - they would have done so first and released a "this year's" model.

Seems that by releasing their parts for use by competitors they are allowing the competitors to tweak the components to produce a potentially better projector - shooting themselves in the foot.

Unless they have a new idea or completely new offering in the pipeline (or the current system ain't gonna get much better!). The only thing that will maintain sales of the current 10HT will be the price differential to the newer 16:9's such as the PLV-60. This alone will not maintain already declining sales for the 10HT.

Seems the industry is ripe for a medium cost replacement for the 16:9 HT projector crown that delivers where others have, so far, fell short.

Anyone got any info?

Matt

[ 01-05-2001: Message edited by: Matty N ]

2. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sonys new VPL-XP21 and XP31 are fine machines for HT except for the fact that they are 4:3(a small point!), but at least their facilities will point to how the new 16:9 unit might perform. 30db noise level, new type of polariser and an excellent internal scaler,(I like things looking good straight from the box!)then there's also their new CS range.Sonys far from quiet at the moment

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i guess it depends on where sony are making the money...it may be more profitable to license their technology than to sell the unit themselves. The sony money making machine is very well oiled so i doubt they would have shot themselves in the foot.

M

PS look what keeping tech to themselves did for apple ;)

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would suggest they will be too bright for HC Ie the black level will lift too high px21 @ 1800 ansi lumens and PX31 @ 2800.
    Unless you have a very Biiiiig screen. :eek:

5. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    B4
    suggesting is one thing, installation is another, the XP21 has a LOW LIGHT operating mode of 1350 ANSI lumen excellent for low light level but still with a good punch to the picture, low colour temp is also better catered for in this mode. the XP31 I would recomend for those who wish to view all types of media under most all light conditions low mode 2350 ANSI, high mode 2800!.
    A grey screen would help further for pure home cinema applications but there's a slight colour hue price to pay for these screens, a slight ambient light level behind the screen to enchance perceived contrast would be better :)

Paul

6. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with the previous post, Contrast is the key here. Any new model will not achieve big sales unless it is High Res (ideally 16:9 HD ready) and it has a pukka Contrast ratio, and none of this over the top white to push up the contrast. Just dimming the light output is not sufficient using the same basic design as the 10HT.

I am sure they look quite good but they won't sell to the discerning people who nearly bought 10HT's but are still waiting for that HC Crown low budget projector (ie <=8000 dollars or pounds - it works out about right these days anyway, we pay 1.4 times the US rate - what's the point of converting!)

Matt

7. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, new update. On another forum, a Taiwanese individual:

"On a Japanese site, someone posted in a forum that in the May issue of the Japan HiVi magazine, page 240, Editorial Preview section, it mentioned about the VW10HT's successor is simply designated as MK II with many modifications. And HiVi will report it in details next issue (June). Another contributor said that VW10HT originally was target to be a good P/C value (Japanese yen 649,000), and at a time like this with recession, he expects it to be the same, meaning similar pricing (he is just speculating, which makes sense though)

THere may be sense in the move to license its current technology after all!

Matt

8. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Latest info: a release date and specifications for the new VPL-VW11HT as it will be known. Source was in Japanese hence the odd expressions used during translation, being slightly more literal than ideal but....

July 1st sale standard price: Open price Ahead communicating: Customer consultation center Tel.0570-00-331 The SONY marketing corporation for the foam/home theater which loads the wide liquid crystal panel sells projector " VPL-VW11HT " from July 1st. Price is open price, but as for shop front expectation price the possibility approximately of 65 ten thousand Yen. As for the VPL-VW11HT, the liquid crystal projector " VPL-VW10HT " which adopts the 1,366~768 dot wide liquid crystal panel of '99 year November sale (standard price: 648,000 Yen) it becomes the minor change model. As for the VPL-VW10HT, the projector which foam/home theater exclusive use is defined. Even presently, for the home which adopts the high resolution wide panel the projector is not sold, has become the best-sellerdom as a liquid crystal projector for the foam/home theater. The big modification point with the latest minor change had to renovate the liquid crystal panel and optical unit. As for the liquid crystal panel as for the SONY make 1,366~768 dot and resolution it is the same, but we have assumed contrast and uniformity of color (the ƒ†ƒjƒtƒH[ƒ~ƒeƒB) et cetera, picture quality was improved substantially. Optical system to become the new design, to raise the reproducibility of black level substantially, as for contrast VPL-VW10HT ratio 200% improvement. Especially with " cinema black mode ", in the liquid crystal projector it is not avoided, you say " black it floats and " holds down, can reproduce the detail of the dark space. The WEGA and the like has adopted the high picture quality conversion circuit, until recently same as the model, " the DRC-MF (the digital * reality * creation - the multiple function)" it loads. In the DRC-MF, both verticality * horizontal direction density is designated as 2 times, the " DRC4 time denseness " and, the ƒ`ƒ‰ƒcƒL of letter and the like in the still picture is held down, " cinema motion " was added anew in addition to 2 modes of the " DRC progressive ". Those where as for this cinema motion, the input source 2-3 distinguishes the fact that it is the signal which it is pulled down is converted automatically from the film material, processes appropriately progressively. As a modification point other than picture quality, the electrification air filter - is loaded anew, penetration of the rubbish to inside the substance is lightened substantially. The electrification air filter -, it equips also the sensor which perceives plugging up. Also the lamp becomes new, output (the 200W) with brightness (the 1,000ANSI lumen, the at the time of 16:9) it is same, but life has improved 50%. Specification and frame design the other than that until recently almost the same as the model. The input signal corresponds to the 480i/480p/720p/1050i. Either the lens is not modified and 1.2 time zoom lens (the f44.6 - the 53.6mm) loads. 16:9 90 inches are actualized with the projection distance 2.9m. Also digital trapezoid revision function has.

Perhaps here is one to get excited about.
    Your thoughts??!!>>>

Matt

9. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matty
    I could be wrong (I usually am!)but I think they are using the same LCD panel but are mounting it in a different assembly with a new type polariser and prism block, these on their own could generate spectacular improvements in blacklevel and contrast ratio, but as with everything its wait and see time.

10. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ni thuigam do 'Sig' ach an bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithris?.

This is the best 'Gaeilge' I could put together after 13 years of learning :D

I blame the English Invaders!! ;)

11. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Do you have a projector Paul? If so, what is it and where in our Godforsaking country did you buy it or did you buy it off the net?

I'm not in the market for one just yet, maybe in a year or so (Sony 10/11HT), but still, I haven't been able to find out where to get one. Even the guys in Richer Sounds don't know...and they know everything.

12. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos
    No, I don't have it yet, release date to Ireland is Sept through offical delivery channels. Peliminary Technical information I now have(two sheets of paper!),the rest I gleaned from Sonys new range of projectors that we sell and service.Thats why my signature includes the place I work for,nothing to hide!.
    As to waiting till next year,good idea something wonderful is happening next year with Sony if you are looking for something in HT projector from their line.(everybody else don't ask me about it, its nothing to do with new technology or anything like that and it only applies to Ireland)

Paul

13. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calibos
    'Godforsaken country'
    Actually it's not that bad here in Louth :D

Paul

14. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

last word I heard was that, indeed, they were using their original panels - or at least the same specification panel. It had a fairly good resistance to "chicken-wire effect" or "screendoor" for the US among us.

But, as you say, the optics are reworked, the gamma adjustment has been revamped and the light level is down to 1000 ANSI Lumens. This in itself may be where some of the reputed perceived contrast improvement will come from no doubt.

I certainly look forward to seeing one, have held off buying a projector for over a year now for a halfway house between the HC and work!!

Matt

15. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matty
    Thanks for the confirmation, in the meantime it looks like I'll get my first look at the Sanyo PLV60 it's due here roughly about two weeks from today it could be sooner but is confirmed for the later. This I will take home and exhaustively test because even though I'am happy with the new projector that I've just got I have also a serious dose of the 'grass is greener syndrome'so I have to know how the PLV60 will perform. :D

Paul

16. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

Do let us know how you get on. The PLV-60, as I am sure you are aware, uses Sony 16:9 panels and yet they boast an increased contrast (thought to be similar to the PLV-30). Current word is, yes it is better than the VPL-VW10HT: colour, gamma adjustment, ability to drive the full panel direct??, but doesn't make the PLV-30 on contrast.

I'd be interested to see what you think as they will be priced more competitively by the summer, especially once the VW11HT is released.

Have fun!

Matt

17. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE

From Sony Broadcast & Professional Group Display Division:
    750:1 Contrast Ratio
    July Japanese Release
    Aug or Sept US Availability

Sourced from another Website, not Sony group so may be inaccurate. UK release??!!

Matt

18. Jeremyao

Jeremyao

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, I am in Japan at the mo' and am seriously tempted to buy a Sony VPL-VW10HT after I saw the price (c.GBP 2,700). I've heard nothing about a VW11HT. Nobody at the Sony Building in Tokyo(where all Sony goods are showcased) made any mention of a VW11HT. Does anyone know of the URLs of these websites/what the names of the relevant magazines are?