1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new HS10 owner

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Splice, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well gone and done it,gone and got myself an hs10 what a day.. thanks to nexnix anyway for your service. delighted with the improvment over the ae100 (still a great projector imo).anyway i have got what appears to be vertical banding accross the whole picture they are quite uniform across the whole of the screen, on the first ae100 i had it was more on the right of the screen, i know its fairly common but i thought the sony was not a projector for demonstrating this problem.... i havent set up the htpc yet just run it through the component lead that comes with it. to a cheap dvd player. anyone know if this will go away when i hook up the pc or not. i went to plug in my vga lead into the back of the hs10( was going to look into dvi graphics cards tomorrow. ha ha!!!! THERE IS NO VGA SOCKET ON THE HS10) went to pc world and bought a 7500 (hercules badged radion) with dvi out... but you guessed it NO CABLE. please someone tell me that this graphic card will do the job,when i get the lead that is......a trip to maplins tomorrow...
    kramer if your reading this, i notice that you don't have this banding,or dead pixels huh.. you guessed it i got two of those as well.. but imo they reall dont bother me one little bit, and for me to say that is strang in itself. but they are so tiny you cant see them unless you put your nose on the screen...(oh well thats half my collection in the bin.:blush: ) so anyone know or think that this damn banding will dissapear or not....

All the best.....splice:smashin: SERIOUSLY SKINT NOW!!

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, having seen the dreaded VBs on the second LPX500 which in a different location does not display them I have come to the conclusion they are source related. that aside I do not know any more specifics as to why other than to say I do not believe they will diminish or go away (sorry) but do think you will get more used to them so they will, perceptively, diminish.

Sorry to hear about your pixel problems too. I would suggest you see if you can change it for a pixel free one (assuming you paid for the dead pixel check) cos whilst they may not bother you they could seriously limit your resale opportunities (when it comes to that time). Always better to advertise a pixel perfect unit than otherwise (although has not helped in my case :) )

BTW, to use VGA on the HS10 I believe you need a multi adapter which costs about £80-£100. Check some threads by museumsteve a while ago as he had the same dilemma and found one in Chiswick somewhere if I remember correctly.

Good luck.

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    For DVI you do just need a DVI cable. Depending on how far away your PJ is from your HTPC www.lindy.com might be a worth a visit as this is where I got my 10m DVI cable from (and it works great with the LPX-500) at 1:1.

Have fun enjoying your new toy! :D

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Try to keep a dvi cable to 7.5m or less if you can but that radeon should be fine. I've never seen banding on my HS10 via dvi or svideo but not tried component, i supsect its either source or cable related.

5. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the replys, i'm really cheesed off at the moment with trying to get this working with the pc trying all the powerstrip settings i can find but it wont switch. is there any settings on the hs10 that i need to change, other than set it to pc under the digital set, i have removed the other monitor(vga) from the graphics card, but still it ain't working.anyone:(

all the best..splice :confused:

6. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, i somehow, dont know how have manage to get the pc to see the 1368 x 768 resolution, but the hs 10 is still seeing 1024 x 768 mode 23 :confused: what am i missing here, anyone. Ath the moment it just looks like a very sharp 4 by 3 windows desktop which i can scroll side to side..

Any help/suggestions appreciated.

all the best.Splice;)

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  8. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a setting on the PJ for normal, full or zoom?

9. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had a look at that thread and sure enough i am not running at 56hz its running at 60 and no matter what i do i dont seem able to get it to work. i had powerstrip except the resolution which makes me think the card can except it, but on reboot as soon as powerstrip tries to switch resolution it loses signal totally and i have to turn off pc uninstall powerstrip and presto i am now back looking at a 4 by3 picture of 1368 x 768 @ 60htz

mirablo.. i had the ae100 before and had no issues with powerstrip. looking at this screen its like i need the "wide mode" to pull out the sides like the panny,but this cant be selected under digital on the hs10.

does anyone think that it may be this graphic card i bought last night. its a Hercules 3d prophet 7500 powered by radion 7500. or could it maybe my version of powerstrip is only 3.18, i cant find the latest version as there site wont work at the moment. if anyone has it i would appreciate it if maybe they could e-mail me it so i could give that a go.

could it be anything to do with the previous graphic drivers, from my radion 7200 upsetting things. i did uninstall the driver and the control panel but i remember reading on one of the forums ages ago that uninstalling dosent completely rid your pc of all files.

Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllp me please before i screeeeeeeeeeem :(

cheers.

All the best.Splice still :confused: :confused: :confused:

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Splice

Just uploaded v3.4 to my web space. Get it here

11. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers messiah, i will let you know if that does the job.
    :smashin:

all the best....splice;)

12. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could be .. 7200 was an evil card :devil: .. with evil drivers :devil: when it first came out radeons got better at 7500+have you updated gfx drivers to latest cats? ( im an Nvidia boy since the 7200 so im a little rusty .. i have toyed with an 8500 and 7500 abit tho)

13. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have now got the windows desktop the full with 1366 x 768 fh: 44.58 and fv 56.19 but i have number 0 as the mode ????? i did get 51 at one point but that was like a 4/3 image on the left side of the panel opposed to the centre. i tried a dvd and it stutters bad. i assume this is because it isn't quite right. i also keep losing powerstip on boot up althought the resolution remains the same. also i sometimes have been getting the old recovered from a serious problem dialogue. i didnt realise there was a mode zero. incidently what i did to get to where i am now is change the values in powerstip without using copy/paste.

Oh i'm soooo warm...... i know i am. (mind you thats what comes of sitting indoors all day with only powerstip.........and you guys of course........for company :rolleyes:

anyone know what to do now.. duh

all the best......Splice :smoke:

14. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just noticed something a bit strange.. powerstrip says i am running 56hz yet the ati control panel seems adamnet that i am running 60hz and when i look under the list all modes it doesn't show 1366 x 768 at 56hz, only 60 hz anyone??

All the best...Splice;)

15. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap: :clap: Got there in the end "area 51 here we come"
    great image cant see the vertical banding at the moment. we will see what comes about when it gets dark. i still have a stutter on the image, seems a little worse than i had with the ae100 any ideas what tweaks can be done.i use power dvd xp. the ati control panel confuses me, i don't really understand a lot of the settings in there. any tips for smoother images.. thanks for all your help people..

All the best. Splice.:D :D :D

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Busy at the mo so can't reply - better in HCPCs though...

Will have a look later & add my 2p if you haven't resolved it by then.

BTW, congrats on the HS10 :smashin:

17. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok kramer cheers, been playing for a bit but still stuttery, i'm toying with uninstalling all graphics drivers and starting again. incidently, can still see vertical banding, very faint on pc but there all the same.

All the best. Splice ;)

18. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hi Splice,

I have a HS10 running through DVI from a HTPC. I found that I had bad stutter on my setup at first, but with some tweaking I am now very very happy with a 99.99% perfect picture. The biggest improvement I found was from using Theater Tek as the DVD playing software.

Also, what is the spec of your PC cos a Radeon 7200 is quite old, and with a slow processor it may have trouble decoding the picture. Also, make sure that DMA is enabled on your DVD drive. Another thing to try is to do a clean install of windows.

Hope this helps,

Rob

19. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    FWIW I was using a 7500 up until last weekend and its perfectly adequate for DVD playback. Unfortunately, the DVI port died on it so I had to swap it with my (loud) 9500 Pro for the time being, but I can't see any picture quality differences. Personally, I'd opt for the quietest, DVI-supporting, least heat-producing ATI Radeon graphics card you can find.

I've just bought another cheap 7500 since it does plenty enough for me and when the next generation (post Doom 3 launch) start to appear I then plan to pick up one of the current generation cards at a decent price, and probably passively cooled (by then..).

20. Mirablo

Mirablo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what CPu/Ram do you have tho cause one diff from the hcpc and an ae100 and hcpc and hs10 would be resolution plus an os rebuild would be nice .. things usually run smoother after a rebuild

21. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Also, worth mentioning is the fact that the 1:1 HS10 refresh timing is something like 56hz IIRC? What is the 1:1 mapping refresh timing for the AE100?

56Hz is not a very friendly timing for either PAL or NTSC material... and can cause shudder/judder on pans?

22. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i now have the picture acceptable (for now) i uninstalled all the drivers and followed the instructions that i found elsewhere on the forum for a clean uninstall of all ati drivers. i.e registry edit and info file deleting. its definately made a great difference..........
    well my opinion of my hs10 so far is..... the image is so clear and crisp, but i still am a little dissapointed with the fine panel noise/vertical banding that you can see on a solid colour during pans. anyone know if there is any settings in the hs10 menus that can reduce this problem. i have been reading about the secret menu but haven't got around to tweeking, using my avia disc. the blacks(greys) are so much darker than i had with the ae100. i am using the supplied filter at the moment..... re fan noise. it is without a doubt a lot noisier than the panny, but if you have read any of my previous posts you will note that i always run the panasonic on the high fan setting, so i have sort of prepared myself for the noisier fan of the hs10, although its still noisier than the panny on high.
    has anyone, especially kramer as you've had your hs10 for a while noticed any panel discolouration on your panels i.e uniformity. i had the hs10 on yesterday for about 12 hours all in all although the fan was more or less on full for the whole of the time, due to our front room being so warm. when i was looking at it last night i noticed a very slight hint of pinkish colour on the bottom right of the image. i am only viewing a 5' wide image at the moment due to the long throw. i have to try and work out how to reconfigure the room . might have to put up with it untill we can move.

all the best.........Splice.:smashin:

23. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Splice

Doesn't sound as though you're having a great time wth it yet :( Re thge pinkish tinge I would definitely say that is simply calibration required due to your use of the supplied filter. I know when Kramer bought his HS10 round here there was a pinkish tinge to the upper right corner of the image due, he said, due to changing the filter or something and he needed to reacilbrate the colour settings due to this.

Certainly just sounds like a calibration issue and I would say for sure (even though I've not owned a HS10 - honest :) ) that there is no way you will get any panel discolouration after just 12 hours of use (albeit concurrent usage).

You'll have to get that room sorted as a 5' image is just way too small :) Unfortunately, that and the fan noise were why I did not go for a HS10. Your other option is to buy the short throw lens from bnotions. About £400 all in and delieverd in 4 days. That will definitely sort out your throw size problem. Either that or sell it and get a LPX500. I know of a nice one in the forums. Oops, it's gone now :) :)

All the best.

24. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers messiah, i suppose i am a tad paranoid regarding panel uniformity after the ae100. you have reassured me. i will get this thing calibrated and see how it go's from there. do you or does anyone on here know if there are any settings that effect this panel noise/banding issue as i seem to remember reading about some guy who had it on a different machine and totally got rid of it, but after searching on here and avs i still cant find it. i was wondering if the bias settings effect panel noise. when i bought this projector we had 5 machines out to get the one i took due to pixels but this one had 2, only noticed on black screen and really not an issue as they are very faint and you can only see them on a black screen from close up, they are litterally just pinpricks of blue. i could also see this banding on 2 of them,particularly on the blue screen. didnt notice it on my one............till i got home of course. I do wonder if maybe sony turn things up in the secret setting to improve the percieved contrast ratio, and as a consequence it increases the panel noise/banding. i may be way off beat on that but its just an educated guess, i suppose what i could compare it to is if you had an aerial running into your tv going through an ariel amp. and you turned up the gain to much on the amp. you would introduce noise into the picture.. any ideas.

All the best......Splice ;)

25. Klippie

Klippie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Splice,

If you want to see a major improvement in image quality change the Sony filter for either a CC30R or CC40R filter all for less than £20, just try a search and you will find all the info required.

The HS10 is a fab machine once tweaked a little.

I can't say I have ever noticed veritcal banding on my HS10 are there any particular settings you have changed that may have brought about this.

Could you post the settings you are using at the moment out of curiosity.

Klippie.

26. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i may give the filter a go, but i would like to get rid of this banding first, i have not messed with the service menus, the banding was there straight out of the box. i tried ringing sony yesterday but of course just said it would need repairing :confused:not what you want to hear when you spend 2 grand on one of these, is it..

All the best...Splice :rolleyes:

27. av_enthusiast

av_enthusiast

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Go into the HS10 service/factory menu and write down these values

VCom for R/G/B

If others post their settings for VCom I think you will find that your Vcom/G is a little too high and is causing the vertical banding. Its probably worthwhile noting down the other values under panel drive as I remember reading about a setting which creates the vertical banding if its set too high.

28. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that, but i have been on the phone to nexnix and arranged to take it back to them tomorrow for a replacement, i hope that i can find one that don't have the banding, because like a lot of other people, kramer especially the vb's drive me nuts. i can heartedly recommend nexnix for there after sales support.i drove 90 miles each way to pick the projector up, and now i have to do it again, but at least they don't give you any grief like some other retailers. they do put the customer first.
    I reckon my hs10 is a bit of a rogue anyway, as last night while watching a film i noticed the projector squeeled on two occassions, bit like a fan bearing noise. it only lasted around 20 to 30 seconds then stopped.
    thats a good point you made about the vcom settings, i for one think that it would be a good idea as there are quite a few people that suffer banding and i really find it difficult to believe that its a hardware problem. anyone out there want to post there figures/and if they have visible banding or panel noise on there projector. i guess that these settings would have the same effect on any sony projector not just the HS10. I have to admit to being a little reluctant to change anything in there until i know exactly what the settings do, and i don't have access to the service manual, and sony of course are reluctant to admit that vertical banding can be cured within the service or factory menu's.
    Sony told me yesterday that they could pick my projector up and return it in around 3 weeks, but as i have only just got it, i am reluctant/ to Impatient....to do this.
    I want a good HS10 and i want it NOW!!!! :D

All the best...Splice ;)

29. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. Splice

Splice
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well just got back from Nexnix with the replacement HS10, and you just wont believe this.............

:clap: Its Perfect, well as near as (nothings' perfect)
    :clap: , Well so far theres no off putting vertical banding and, also I don't think this baby's got any duff pixels either, not that i was bothered by the two blue ones i had on the other one, as they were so itsy-bitsy Only had it on for 20 mins or so so heres keeping my fingers crossed, thanks to the guys at Nexnix, particularly ross who served me. oh and not forgetting Lucy.

:D all the best, Splice........:smashin: