1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HS10 - major (weird) problems

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Marcus Wood, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I just took delivery of a new HS10 yesterday, but there seem to be a couple of major problems with it:

When connected to a PC using the DVI input, picture noise is visible on dark areas of the screen. This takes the form of red dots which go on and off very quickly at random (not dead pixels, obviously), or sometimes they appear in bands. They are only visible on the DVI input, not on the others, which makes me think it may be the DVI cable (a 10m Lindy).

When connected to a component source, the projector displays a completely red picture (i.e. like black and white viewed through a red filter). I'm not sure if this is a problem with my RGB->component converter (RGB signal is from Sky+) or if it's the projector, or the cable (which is the one you get with the PJ). Sky+ works OK on the S-Video input.

Can anyone advise what might be causing these problems?

I don't really want to sent it back if I can avoid it because I got it very cheap, it has no dead pixels, and seems a bit quieter than some HS10s.

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I would have said your DVI issue is a sync or timing issue and probably nothing whatsoever to do with the pj or cable.

As to the red screen with component are you sure you have the cables in the correct way round. Again, I would have said as you are getting an image (albeit not the right one) that it is almost definitely the source kit and not the pj.

Always amazes me how people are so quick to blame the display device yet that poiece of equipment is only displaying the signal it is receiving and any image at all generally means the display eqpt is working. I would definitely concentrate your efforts on the source kit, but I could be wrong :)

3. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Messiah, thanks for your feedback.

I think I should look again at the Powerstrip settings, and check they're the same as other people are using with the HS10. I've also borrowed a shorter DVI cable from the IT department at work, to see if that makes a difference.

I'm pretty sure the component cables are the right way round - I've tried every combination I think! The colours of the plugs are connected to the converter in the same order as on the component sockets at the back of the PJ.

4. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen some people reporting so called 'sparklies' when using 10m DVI cables and the HS10. 10m is over the recommended length for passive DVI so it's a bit hit and miss whether it'll work or not (Function of the cable and how hard the video card can drive it).

Try a shorter cable/different video card if you can ;)

Aha: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67576

-- Jon

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I think your red image is due to the input on the pj being set to RGB but reciving a component signal (or the other way round). See if you can change the input type for the component inputs.

I had exactly the same problem trying to connect a Quadscan to a TW100. Deep pink image. It was because the QS was outputting an RGB signal to a pj input configured for an component (YPbPr) input

Good luck.

6. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've sorted the component problem - the scart plug was not all the way into the socket on my Sky+ box. I must have loosened it when I connected the RGB-component converter:blush:

The DVI lead I borrowed from work (1.5m) seems to have cured the red sparklies. But I thought the 10m Lindy lead was supposed to be OK with the HS10. That's why I bought a Lindy one.

I had two HS10s in March (which had to go back) and I used them both with a 10m Lindy cable. On the first one, I didn't notice a problem, but on the second one I noticed white sparklies (there were much much fewer than on this one though). Lindy have since replaced that particular cable (one of the plug screws came out).

Nothing else in my set-up has changed since then, so either this projector or this cable (or both) are more sensitive to the problem than the ones I had before.

Are there any DVI cables more reliable than Lindy?

7. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my HS10 set up over the weekend and am totally blown away by the picture quality...

The component (from DVD) and composite (from Skybox) inputs work fine, but when I try using the s-video connection (using the included multi cable) from a Skybox (using a Scart break-out adapter), I only get a monochromatic image (B&W). Any ideas why this happens?

- The composite and component (DVD) connections are on the same multi-cable as the s-video.
    - Connecting the composite cable stabilised the s-video projector (wasquite noisy initially) but didnt change the colour (or lack thereof).
    - Ive tried both Scart ports on the skybox - no difference

any help greatly appreciated!

/Martin

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Biggy,

out of interest how noisy is the HS10 in your opinion.

Or how quiet is it?

Cap.

9. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Captain Benefit : Hard to say as I cannot compare to any other projector (only ever demoed them, not had one at home).

I would say it is like a moderately quiet PC (not a screaming overclockers rig, but not a super-silent rig either).

I think it is very liveable when watching a movie, even on normal to low volumes. Watched Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon last night, and even in the quietest scenes (there are many totally silent scenes), Id completely forgotten about the noise...

I know its extremely subjective, but I hope it helps... I basically dont mind the level of noise...

10. biggygiant

biggygiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone got any ideas re the s-video connection?

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Is your Sky box capable of outputting Svideo ? Have you set it tp output Svideo in the relevant menu ?

If you're using a Scart breakout and the box either can't do Svid, or isn't set to do Svid, then that's where the monochromatic image comes from, afaik.

Sean G.

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I didn't think normal Sky boxes output an S-Vid signal. Most definitely a cable/connection issue due to this. Just because you have a SCART to S-Vid lead does not mean you will automatically get an image. AFAIK, S-Vid uses chrminance and luminace signals wheras SCART uses either composite, RGB or S-Video on the relevant pins. However, if your Sky box is not outputting an S-Video Chrominance and Luminace signals you will get only a b&w image.

HTH

13. Marcus Wood

Marcus Wood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got a 7.5m cable from Lindy and that works fine, so I'm keeping the projector.

having remeasured my room, the 7.5m one should be long enough.

I'm sure what Messiah says about S-Video is correct. Sky does not output S-video - you need to get an RGB to component converter.

The HS10 isn't whisper quiet, but it's not too bad (although it does get noisier in a warm room). I was going to get a tw-100 because of the noise issue, but as they've just been discontinued I decided to go for the Sony.

14. alanesmith

alanesmith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    only the new grundig sky box has svhs output

all others do not

15. stormywhether

stormywhether

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using a Scart to S-Video convertor from keene and I tell you this - the picture on my AE100 is simply brilliant! I watch footy on it and everything!