New house - What connections should I get built in?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rich22142, Oct 30, 2005.

1. rich22142

rich22142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Hope someone clued up can help!

I've put cash down a new flat thats about to be built and am keen to have this place 'teched' up considerably. I'd like Plasma's in the living room, bedrooms...etc and am thinking its probably wise to get the builders to link up the rooms so that I can avoid drilling lots of holes and also give me just one setup (maybe Windows Media Centre) throughout.

Could someone enlighten me what the type of cables I should use to gain decent connectivity? Is it one or a mixture of cables you'd advise laying?

+ If you had a rough estimate of what the cables would cost me as well that would be very much appreciated. :clap: :clap:

Thanks
    Rich...

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Leading questions. We are not allowed to quote on the forum, and this is a lot more thourough that 98% of members/contributors on the plasma forum get up to. Wire wise, well bundles of cat5 is a no brainer, it's just where you put it in the room that's crucial. You'd be well advised to put 2 to every 'equipment area', plus at least 2 runs of aerial coax, and run speaker wire for in ceiling speakers. Will you seriously run it on WMC?? I don't think my wife would let me. It might be more reliable to use a proprietary system, try www.netstreams.com for an idea, also has about wiring for their system. It's very complicated to get it all in your head, some decisions about just how far you will go in what rooms, and with what type of equipment, are needed. Not that you need to set it all in stone, but in general terms.

3. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    CT100 cable throughout for the TV. 2 runs to each room from a central point if you want TV and a sky box in each room.

CAT5 cable into each room from where your server/main PC and router will be unless you go wireless.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Wireless! You've gotta be kidding me!

5. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just when you think you have put enough cable , double it!

I used 1500m of ct100 and the same in cat5/6 and i'm running out, its buttons to fit before its plastered.

6. Degas

Degas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wireless is fine for net only, I wouldn't trust it for streaming media tho.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    No kidding there! It is also very dependent on construction. Round my way, Berkely, Octagon et al build with reinforced concrete slabs for floors, so wi fi won't go from downstairs to upstairs even. Plus a modern house with a lot of wire in it, for low voltage downlighters, speakers, electric underfloor heating etc, it's all just more metal in the way. One of my recent installs, the wi fi will not reach 15ft from the equipment cupboard to a bedroom. The offending laptop works fine at the bottom of my garden, 140ft from my access point, the same make and model.

8. WSH

WSH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Are repeaters avaliable for wireless :confused:

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well not exactly, you run wire for another access point, it's cheaper than a repeater. But cheaper and more reliable is to just run the wire. 54g is also a bit marginal for DVD video, let alone HD.

10. rich22142

rich22142

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow Thanks - that 'Netstreams' solution looks the dogs b*lls. I've downloaded the literature to read up on it.

They dont appear to have an office in Britain? Has anybody used them? & I know its hard to price a system however has anybody got a rough figure for how much i'm looking up to link up 3 rooms with touch pads and full connectivity? Are we talking a few grand or much more?

Thanks for all your help!

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    PM me for netstreams info, I can't talk prices on the forum. They do have a UK agent, the stuff is raw sex in terms of multi room..

12. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    dont forget Sonos, works flawlessly even in tough environments, can be run in a mixed mode (eg with the Zones hardwired if you have castle-like thick walls) and the controllers wireless. Now that the docking stations are available it is also possible to create that "custom install" look, wall mounting the controllers...but with the benefit that you can actually move the controllers around unlike fixed wall installations.

hth