New House, want to set up VOIPCheap or similar...PAP2 or Draytek Vigor 2800VG

sideysid

Established Member
Reaction score
Im moving to a new house, which have already has a Telewest line connected.

Im planning on using Quidco to sign up for telewest bb (£40 cashback), and pay the special offer 2mb unlimited broadband and ditch the landline and go VOIP, but use my current DECT handset.

I've been looking into getting PAP2 from Comet (I know not many about anymore) and unlocking it, then linking it up to a wireless cable router...

Although this I fear will leave me with a lot of boxes hooked up to the wall socket.

Another option I was looking at was the Draytek Vigor 2800VG. This looks like it could save space etc as well as being 108mbs. But is quite expensive.

Can anyone give me any advice, on etheir of these setups using VOIPCheap?

Also if I decide to have another DECT handset for upstairs (2nd telewest point installed up there) how will I connect it with this?

Finally does VOIP cheap give you a phone number for incoming calls?

Thanks in advance you guys... :confused:

Hi

I wouldn't recommend getting a PAP2 from Comet in the hope that you can unlock it. I tried this several months ago and even back then Comet were stocking PAP2s with a new version of firmware which cannot be unlocked as far as I know.

Hope this helps

I have a draytek 2800vg and it is fabulous. I even upgraded from an unlocked PAP2. Its worth the cash as its an excellent modem, router and VoIP box.

The reson I upgraded was my old router didnt have QoS which killed the VoIP calls when someone elese was using the internet heavily, the draytek resolved this.

Thanks - sounds good!

As its fairly new and quite expensive not many people can give me feedback so I appreciate your comments.

What VOIP company are you using it with? Is there any issues regarding connecting it to any certain VOIP companies, or can it be set up to any? Are you on cable or BT?

Also whats the wireless range like on it? Also do you need a RJ11 adaptor to link it to a DECT phone, or does one come with it?

So many questions...sorry

:thumbsup:

sideysid said:
Thanks - sounds good!

As its fairly new and quite expensive not many people can give me feedback so I appreciate your comments.

What VOIP company are you using it with? Is there any issues regarding connecting it to any certain VOIP companies, or can it be set up to any? Are you on cable or BT?

Also whats the wireless range like on it? Also do you need a RJ11 adaptor to link it to a DECT phone, or does one come with it?

So many questions...sorry

:thumbsup:

No worries, a bit of background info for you;

I'm currently using my Draytek 2800vg on a BT landline with BT Broadband (not cheap:( ), I have a 3mb line and having had the Draytek in place for about 3 months now have had no issues with it at all.

I only have a 4 room 1 bed room flat, but although it sounds pokey it is actually a fair size. Obviously the Draytek covers it all and more, suppling most of my neighbours with coverage as I've tried it outside and inside their flats (we are get on very well:thumbsup: ). Its all locked down by WPA and MAC address filtering so no-one get in on the sly!

I'm currently using it with sipdiscount which I previously used with my linksys PAP2. There doesnt seem to be any major benefits call quality wise between the two, though it is tidier only having one box doing all the stuff.

I havent tried using it with any other VoIP companies but assuming they are SIP compliant then they SHOULD all work ok. It also comes with an adaptor for UK phones so is pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Another nice feature of the 2800vg is that it has a USB port for a printer if you want to print to a printer directly rather than printer sharing from another PC that has to be on all the time to be accessible.

I was also really impressed with the functionality of the 2800vg, the latest firmware seems robust and gives the router loads of professional IT requirements support such as SSL certs and VPN access.

Hope this info helps. Any further questions then feel free to ask away!

I was thinking about special universal router with many ports for voip rj45 and etc. But then solved this problem some simple low cost way. I am IT professional and I have taken the old P3 computer from work which was going to be utilized. Then I removed all electronics, which I do not needed. Like additional adapters, harddrives, cd, floppy. Install linux on it with all software and hardware I need for communication like firewall, skype, printer, wireless adapter and so on. Now this comp works like proffessional router with fireless facilities, voip, printer and even backup system without keyborad mouse display like ordinary box, nevertheless I have full access to it throug network if i need it. As I was keen to reduce a power consumption i remove all hardware I do not need. So now it is much more functional device than any router box in the market, it takes reasonable amount of electricity to have it running 24 hours per day. And I can add any software I need for future. If i would be keen about size of the box i could even put it in small unit with a nice design.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom