New House + Understanding Girlfriend = My first dedicated home cinema haven

Howard0000

Update October 1 2019 - Room Treatment

Update September 9 2019 - Subwoofer isolation

Update September 7 2019 - Wall-mounted rear speakers

Update November 14 2019 - Ambient lighting

Update August 20 2020 - Centre speaker wall-mounting

I've been into home cinema and hifi/AV for about 20 years, and I've always dreamt of having my own dedicated setup with a big screen, and not a system that is shoehorned into a bedroom or a lounge. I also wanted proper overhead Atmos!

Finally the time has come. We've bought a house, and I was given permission to go nuts in the spare bedroom, on the proviso that it can still actually be used as a spare bedroom on the rare occasion that we have guests. One sofa bed later, that problem is solved. It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing, but it was free! And it is comfortable.

This thread will serve as a mini build log with 'finished' photos, and I'll update it when I make changes to the room as time goes on.

All of my equipment is carried over from the setup in our old rented house (as seen here: Yet Another Lounge-based Home Cinema: MyImmediateNeighboursProbablyHateMe edition.) - a collection that I have built up over a few years - so I just needed to buy a projector, a screen, Atmos ceiling speakers, and the usual cables/accessories.

It's a small room (the usable space is 10.2' x 11.1') and so I had to be smart with the positioning of the furniture, but the layout is ideal.

I chose this projector as I wanted the proper lens shift adjustment, and not to have to rely on keystone. By luck, the ceiling joist that it is mounted to is almost central, but not quite. I was also on somewhat of a budget, therefore a decent 4K unit with the optical adjustments was considerably out of my price range.

The screen is really excellent quality and was a delight to put together. The material is highly tensioned onto tabs at the 4 edges, so there's no creases or ripples. The wall isn't quite flat, meaning the screen isn't quite flat, so there are some very minor focusing issues toward the edges but this is only really noticeable when you're reading smaller text from a computer input, for example.

My latest job was to get the frequency response of my sub flattened with my MiniDSP. Turns out, the room response is quite amazing without any EQ, so a little bit of a reduction at 52Hz was all that was needed. See the graphs below.

The next step will be some acoustic wall panels for sound deadening. While the sofa, carpet, and thick curtains certainly help, it's still quite a "live" room, especially with the speakers shoved right into the corners.

Equipment

Projector

Epson EH-TW6700 - 3LCD with H/V lens shift

Screen
Sapphire 78" Fixed Screen

Sources
Panasonic BDT120 BluRay Player
Xbox One
Nvidia Shield TV
BT YouView box (Freeview)
Google Chromecast Audio

Amplification
Yamaha RX-A2070 surround receiver
Audiolab 8200DQ DAC/preamp for the Kef 3.2s
Meridian 557 power amp for the Kef 3.2s
MiniDSP for the sub

Speakers
Front: Kef Reference Model 3.2 in Rosetta Burr
Centre: Kef R200c in Rosewood
Rear: Kef Q100 in Walnut
Atmos: Kef CI130ER
Sub: BK Monolith in Cherry

Control and smart home / automation
Logitech Harmony Elite remote
Amazon Echo Dot
Philips Hue - GU10s overhead, LightStrips above window and at floor level

Room treatment
2 x Blue Frog Audio 600x1200mm acoustic panels, 1 x 800x1200 panel in "Hillswick" grey

Finished photos:

yhEQmTg.jpg

pqPJBPd.jpg

pYgIwli.jpg

PP7cFdC.jpg

CjpR2k0.jpg

3Xo1ZaJ.jpg

CGgEUse.jpg

nNcviML.jpg

2NIoSOM.jpg

oQPEHmy.jpg

90Buujc.jpg

EZ1J8UY.jpg

yTRYNgc.jpg

DnjR0lm.jpg

xINXJtW.jpg

G03Ea58.jpg

OdnYOpP.jpg

Sub calibration graphs:

Before:
XOELvby.jpg

After:
fdrRCN9.jpg

Last edited:

Howard0000

In-progress photos:

pYGwrgh.jpg

FGua8fx.jpg

3xf0fBr.jpg

5CiJr2A.jpg

eVgzY4R.jpg

BPrOaXu.jpg

4TLf0x7.jpg

93iAZrt.jpg

dBnWMgt.jpg

4OXmDiA.jpg

bNN5ctv.jpg

LNx96jG.jpg

A1vzZrB.jpg

DlhCWgZ.jpg

Hu6yHgC.jpg

mpEMeAs.jpg

3XxDcMx.jpg

Nayfne

Distinguished Member

apostolost

Hi, very nice. well done. you can go bigger with the screen, maybe!

Howard0000

I decided to wall-mount the speakers which has helped a lot with the sound field, by raising them slightly above the listening position and allowing them to be positioned more accurately.

Also put up a couple of film posters, as is customary in a proper home cinema ;)

jyM5e0T.jpg

oi0KWMK.jpg

Darrenraymond

Great work Howard. The dream of a spare room to convert lives on with me :D

wiz

Distinguished Member
This is great!
Does your girlfriend have an understanding sister?:D

Howard0000

Today's tweak was to reinstate the "paving slab under the sub" scenario that I had in my old house, which really helped decouple the sub from the floor. This resulted in considerably less vibration through the floor which means (slightly) happier neighbours, and cleaner bass.

The frequency response is unchanged, as per the before-and-after graph below, but there is vastly less floor shake which should mean my immediate neighbour hears less LFE!

ECseYu2.jpg

9lNqj51.png

Darrenraymond

Today's tweak was to reinstate the "paving slab under the sub" scenario that I had in my old house, which really helped decouple the sub from the floor. This resulted in considerably less vibration through the floor which means (slightly) happier neighbours, and cleaner bass.

The frequency response is unchanged, as per the before-and-after graph below, but there is vastly less floor shake which should mean my immediate neighbour hears less LFE!

I wounder if a dedicated acoustic platform such as an Auralex SubDude would improve things even further?

I'm yet to look at this yet for my subwoofer. I did have a pair of MoPads way back when i had my SPL800R, however, as it stands, my current sub is on bare wooden floor.

Maybe once i pick up a MiniDSP and UMIK-1 i'll look in it and compare results. Anything for a tweak!!

Howard0000

I wounder if a dedicated acoustic platform such as an Auralex SubDude would improve things even further?

I'm yet to look at this yet for my subwoofer. I did have a pair of MoPads way back when i had my SPL800R, however, as it stands, my current sub is on bare wooden floor.

Maybe once i pick up a MiniDSP and UMIK-1 i'll look in it and compare results. Anything for a tweak!!

I doubt it. The general idea is to decouple the sub from the building, if you have wooden suspended floors, by sitting it atop a very dense mass.

The SubDude HT (the one big enough for my sub) might look slightly more "polished" but it's almost £100!

Howard0000

Room treatment. If you haven't done it, do it now.

Seriously.

It's the best-sounding upgrade you'll ever buy.

This was the next chapter in my home cinema improvement path, having promised myself I'd look into it when I got myself a dedicated room.

In short... Wow. I've always known room treatment has a huge positive effect but I wasn't expecting quite such a profound improvement in my little room.

Slap echo has been massively reduced, and it all sounds quite "dead" when talking. Stereo imaging for music is vastly improved with greater detail as a result of less reflection, and voices from the centre speaker are so much more clearer and pinpointed to the actual centre that it sounds like I've upgraded the speaker! However, the surround sound soundstage still sounds vaster than the room dimensions would indicate.

Very happy.

dPswAsd.jpg

FMMDJhR.jpg

t3JAt9J.jpg

qo9PguF.jpg

jWJudhU.jpg

socom23

Great job man, looks excellent and a good use of space!

bullie76

AL0012

Standard Member
Looks very good and almost identical size to what I have........in the process of completing.

Where did you get the sound panels from?

Howard0000

Howard0000

I borrowed a friend's wide-angle lens for my DSLR and thought I'd take some nicer, "glossier" photos which show the space better:

UxZHona.jpg

wpuyhkm.jpg

JMmNGeN.jpg

BIZNOkQ.jpg

SQNEbij.jpg

gQ3R8hU.jpg

kpBWHcP.jpg

yBlbJGy.jpg

9VRwskZ.jpg

CT9jfp0.jpg

HqpDFyD.jpg

Sv7tCdF.jpg

zthS7kU.jpg

eFimbl3.jpg

SillySausage

Looks very good. The only thing I'd do in your shoes is take off the dado rail thing as I think it spoils the room, and as it's a cinema room maybe even paint the walls a tad darker.

All nit picking though as it does look great as is.

muntos

Looks very good, congrats !
One question, doesn't bother you the projector noise ? I was also drawn to the idea of a projector, went to a showroom to see a Sony VPL-VW270ES (great image IMHO!) but the noise that the projector made was just to loud for me. Especially that it should stay just above sofa, like yours.
Your projector is rated at Normal: 32 dB (A) - Economy: 24 dB (A) noise level, Sony declared value is 26 dB for normal use (Low lamp mode, for High mode it would be even higher).

Howard0000

Looks very good, congrats !
One question, doesn't bother you the projector noise ? I was also drawn to the idea of a projector, went to a showroom to see a Sony VPL-VW270ES (great image IMHO!) but the noise that the projector made was just to loud for me. Especially that it should stay just above sofa, like yours.
Your projector is rated at Normal: 32 dB (A) - Economy: 24 dB (A) noise level, Sony declared value is 26 dB for normal use (Low lamp mode, for High mode it would be even higher).

I use mine in Eco mode and whilst you can tell it's there, it's very quiet and in no way intrusive.

Ricku

"Is it just me or is the centre not so in the centre? Or is it just the angle of the photo? "

Knew I recognised this from somewhere! ;)

Howard0000

"Is it just me or is the centre not so in the centre? Or is it just the angle of the photo? "

Knew I recognised this from somewhere! ;)

The first rule of Reddit is you never talk about Reddit ... :D

Howard0000

I originally had white ambiance Philips Hue GU10s in the ceiling, since I told myself at the beginning that I didn't need coloured bulbs up there.

It turns out I was wrong, I did need them, and I couldn't resist picking up two pairs of the new richer colours GU10s to add some sutbly-stylised light as the cherry on top of the room, so to speak.

I feel it adds a really nice extra ambiance and gives it a more 'premium' cinematic feel. The photos are deliberately dark, showing my favourite scenes that I use for pre and post-movie watching, as well as the dark red which I usually use while watching.

The two floor-level light strips serve as walkway lighting.

uyosqBU.jpg

cyLBaL2.jpg

o8bBgla.jpg

6QeM727.jpg

SC5tV3S.jpg

fIdRdwk.jpg

lU40NHy.jpg

HBDP3V8.jpg

4aeUndQ.jpg

cfE5h3Q.jpg

fUkvRqY.jpg

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I originally had white ambiance Philips Hue GU10s in the ceiling, since I told myself at the beginning that I didn't need coloured bulbs up there.

It turns out I was wrong, I did need them, and I couldn't resist picking up two pairs of the new richer colours GU10s to add some sutbly-stylised light as the cherry on top of the room, so to speak.

I feel it adds a really nice extra ambiance and gives it a more 'premium' cinematic feel. The photos are deliberately dark, showing my favourite scenes that I use for pre and post-movie watching, as well as the dark red which I usually use while watching.

The two floor-level light strips serve as walkway lighting.

uyosqBU.jpg

cyLBaL2.jpg

o8bBgla.jpg

6QeM727.jpg

SC5tV3S.jpg

fIdRdwk.jpg

lU40NHy.jpg

HBDP3V8.jpg

4aeUndQ.jpg

cfE5h3Q.jpg

fUkvRqY.jpg

does different coloured lights wash out the PQ less of the pJ>

Howard0000

does different coloured lights wash out the PQ less of the pJ>

They all wash it out to the same extent really. I tend to have them at their minimum brightness when I'm watching something anyway, in which case it doesn't tend to affect the image.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Harman Luxury Audio Group releases updated MusicLife app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Q Acoustics announces Q Active app availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
TCL introduces Roku smart TVs for UK
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco Audio introduces new N100-H50 digital music library