New House - Setup & Upgrade recommendations

sywatson

Novice Member
Hi All

I would really appreciate some advice on a few things here from people more experienced than I!
so I’m in the process of moving from my current house where I have my tv and audio setup perfectly for the seating layout.

Unfortunately, whilst the new house has just about everything I could want everywhere else, the lounge/snug area is less than ideal in layout as the tv will need to be across a corner and I’ve inherited a fairly fixed location and not so much flexibility.

ive attached a diagram of the room with the proposed sofa and tv positions etc.

I am looking for advice on where is best to place the satellite and atmos speakers to get the best from this layout.

But I will add that I am also looking to upgrade from my current tannoy sfx51 and onkyo atmos speakers but I will retain the Cambridge audio SX120 sub, onkyo atmos TXNR636 AV receiver and LGCX55 TV as is.

I had been looking at a set of Jamo 807s with the top mounted atmos speakers. But I’m open to recommendations and perhaps really, some cohesive advice for some upgrades from current speakers which would actually suit the space and blend well with my current setup would be really helpful.

also, I am installing a drop ceiling around the edge of the room too for lighting details (down lights and up light led strips to the main ceiling area) so this means I can consider ceiling mounted atmos speakers too and cabling can be run in accordingly

hopefully that’s clear! All advice welcomed and appreciated!

FFD9082E-B1D5-4234-80E4-E6CDC3E2EE00.jpeg

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Open plan room, corner mounted TV and seating - far from ideal if you are chasing surround sound and or immersive audio.

A stereo system would be my recommendation though even that looks like it could be tricky with the positioning of the TV and a wood Burner.

I would consider a Stereo Soundbar or Stereo Speakerbar (+ your AVR) slung under the TV with a small Sub as the most ideal solution for you.

Joe

sywatson

Novice Member
Open plan room, corner mounted TV and seating - far from ideal if you are chasing surround sound and or immersive audio.

A stereo system would be my recommendation though even that looks like it could be tricky with the positioning of the TV and a wood Burner.

I would consider a Stereo Soundbar or Stereo Speakerbar (+ your AVR) slung under the TV with a small Sub as the most ideal solution for you.

Jo
Thanks Jo, I accept it’s really not ideal at all and it was the only real downside to this place when I started looking at the positioning of the speakers!

I’ve become so used to having 5.1/atmos surround would I find a big difference in dropping back to a stereo and sound bar?

I was thinking that the only real possible options was of a couple of wall mounted rear speakers at then top left and bottom right facing inwards to the seating positions and maybe some ceiling mounted atmos speakers mounted forward of those, closer to the TV, then have floorstanding L/R, or a set of Jamo’s with the top mounted atmos speakers.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I find folk don’t and often by using the budget carefully they find they prefer the stereo system.

Surround sound and Atmos is great if the room and budget allow for it.

Joe

sywatson

Novice Member
926F0E27-08BF-4536-9DF8-43BC69E475C1.jpeg
Here is a picture of the room as it looks with the current owner for reference!

I had intended putting in a drop ceiling 0.5m wide around the whole edge to create lighting effects with up light LED strip around the inside edge. And then some low lumen spots in the dropped ceiling which is where I had anticipated possibly including ceiling mounts

gibbsy

The room arrangement, the photograph and your plan, is using the wood burner as the central feature. The narrow wall at the top of the photograph is really the only place that the TV and a surround sound layout would work. By doing so the fire would be on the left of any seating arrangement. A move too far perhaps?

Your plan with the TV in the corner is only going to be able to support stereo at best and a good soundbar would make more sense.

sywatson

Novice Member
I’m not averse to making any changes, but any considerable relocation activity where the seating isn’t in its current position might put the wife off as it would detract from it being a cosy and comfortable space to relax

In our current house, the setup is unobtrusive, the audio really adds to the impact of movies and TV shows but the mrs doesn’t really notice the speakers or it’s presence.

but for me, I really did want to have something that replicates that in the new place but upgrade from those SFX and onkyo speakers to take it up a notch

My only concern is what would it might lack if I go to only having a sound bar and that I would miss the atmos and rear speakers I have now.

giggsy1950

If you swapped the position of the wood burner and television...🙂

sywatson

Novice Member
Would this not give at least a level of compromise?
CF3394E3-D92E-4CC0-9874-03DEC5908C61.jpeg

The alternative option if the wood burner move is feasible (might be cost and externally not possible)
760F3554-96D7-448D-833B-C925ED781400.jpeg

if I went towards pursuing these options, I would retain as noted, the TV, AVR & Sub, id love to know what would the recommendations be for:

surround speakers Front & Rear
ceiling mounted Atmos speakers

many thanks

sywatson

Novice Member
Discussed with my wife and she is in agreement that she thinks the tv and wood burner need swapping around...
Once we are moved in we will check the feasibility of doing so.

Therefore I’m open to your suggestions for upgrades on surround speakers which would suit my setup!!

sywatson

Novice Member
Thanks AA.

have looked at the task. As this was a retrofit woodburner, there is no brick chimney, just an external stack fixes to external wall to reposition and the patching up to do.

In terms of more speakers, I had debated:
Q accoustic
3050i front L/R
3090i centre
3010i rear L/R
monitor audio c165 ceiling mounted for atmos

sywatson

Novice Member
Other considerations are:
Jamo 807 HCS - could add on Atmos to fronts.
4x Dali Spektor 2’s & Vokal centre.

(Already opted for a pair of Spektor 2’s to refresh my Hifi setup which is destined for my man cave!)

giggsy1950

I don't know anything about Atmos ceiling speakers but the QAcoustics would be an upgrade on your current setup. If you're going to listen to music in stereo a lot then the floor standing 3050i would sound good for sure (though better through a stereo amp). If it's mainly for TV and movies I would save some cash and space by opting for the matching stand mounted or even have the 3020i for L/R duties. A good sub definitely helps with movies and music.

sywatson

Novice Member
I don't know anything about Atmos ceiling speakers but the QAcoustics would be an upgrade on your current setup. If you're going to listen to music in stereo a lot then the floor standing 3050i would sound good for sure (though better through a stereo amp). If it's mainly for TV and movies I would save some cash and space by opting for the matching stand mounted or even have the 3020i for L/R duties. A good sub definitely helps with movies and music.
I like the sound of that and having done a bit of reading im proposing the following:
3020i Front L/R
3090Ci Centre
3010i Rear L/R
Monitor Audio C165 ceiling atmos

Existing Onkyo AVR TXNR636
Existing Cambridge Audio SX-120 subwoofer
Existing LGCX55 TV

gibbsy

Should I move my queries to the other forum page for some advice on the speaker setup?
Do not open up another thread on the same subject. It's called cross posting and against Forum rules. If you feel you would be better served in a speaker board then I can move this whole thread for you.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom