New house requires new bargain system....

CaptBigPETE

Novice Member
Reaction score
Having been forced to down size our house i have take the male stance my aging Hifi had to go and settled on using my smaller system consisting of ....

Project Essential Turntable
Arcam Solo Mk1 (owned for last 12years)
q acoustics 3030i

So replacing the Arcam solo and has served me well but with its age i want something with a little more detail yet warmth but sonically good at low volumes, but yet when the Mrs. goes out i can crank some dire straights, music we like is well.....anything and everything depending on the mood....
Turn table and speakers are staying, yes i understand these are budget value gear but money is limited and Speakers are on stands and yes i like there sound,
System I'm looking at must have CD and AMP, Tested Marantz 6006 and next doors Yamaha which would match my speakers but wanted something ..well different

Rotel A11 CD & Amp Tribute (warmth Amp response and very likable) (Modern fresh looking)
AudioLabs A6000 Amp and CD (Get up and go approach Amp) (CD player is outstanding) (possible not a good match for Q Acoustics)

Max price is £1000
Advise would be really REALLY appreciated as I've been sat on this now for 6weeks pondering,
thanks everybody from a confused 53 year old

The best way of getting good sound at low volume is to use high efficiency speakers. The amp will make much less difference than the speakers.

Shameless plug but I’ve just listed an A11 Tribute in the classifieds. It’s an extremely good amplifier.

It's pretty much impossible to beat the Marantz 6007 or Rotel Tribute combinations at relatively affordable prices, and either should work very well with your Qs. The Audiolabs are talented but, in comparison to the above, lean too far towards the clinical side for my liking.

I would suggest reconsidering the decision to replace the Arcam Solo, at least initially - unless defective. I'd recommend using the Solo in the new house and seeing how you fare. You can always revisit your question later, possibly even with a larger budget /you say your budget is limited)

With that experience, you might wish to question the Q Acoustics 3030i rather than the Arcam Solo. Speakers dominate the audio experience, and the 3030is are the weakest point in your current system.

If you are happy with second hand this pair will take some beating for £1000 or less.

Arcam A32 - these are commanding higher prices and are a real sweet spot in the range, there is another on auction currently lower price.

Arcam FMJ33

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I would suggest reconsidering the decision to replace the Arcam Solo, at least initially - unless defective. I'd recommend using the Solo in the new house and seeing how you fare. You can always revisit your question later, possibly even with a larger budget /you say your budget is limited)

With that experience, you might wish to question the Q Acoustics 3030i rather than the Arcam Solo. Speakers dominate the audio experience, and the 3030is are the weakest point in your current system.
The arcam is technically 16years old, am i wrong in saying sound quality has moved miles on since then? its not like I'm comparing a valve amp.......yes when the solo was first released was £1000 but I'd have thought in the time scale this would be in todays sound amps a best a £500 amp

If you are happy with second hand this pair will take some beating for £1000 or less.

Arcam A32 - these are commanding higher prices and are a real sweet spot in the range, there is another on auction currently lower price.

Arcam FMJ33

you been checking my search history ? lol was looking just last night at these......

The arcam is technically 16years old, am i wrong in saying sound quality has moved miles on since then? its not like I'm comparing a valve amp.......yes when the solo was first released was £1000 but I'd have thought in the time scale this would be in todays sound amps a best a £500 amp
I would argue, yes, your assumption is unfounded. As far as analogue stereo performance is concerned, progress is very slow. Functionality is a different question, which is why a 16 year old AVR or TV is hopelessly outdated.

You're still happily using vinyl media as a source. Yet that is a technology that was already years past its use-by date when CD was introduced. [Dons flame protection suit.]

I would argue, yes, your assumption is unfounded. As far as analogue stereo performance is concerned, progress is very slow. Functionality is a different question, which is why a 16 year old AVR or TV is hopelessly outdated.

You're still happily using vinyl media as a source. Yet that is a technology that was already years past its use-by date when CD was introduced. [Dons flame protection suit.]
Dam MAN you killed everything i was making a reason of my understanding and my logical understanding.........however your statement make complete sense, just wondering why i couldn't that view while its staring me in the face.......thanks mate

I wouldn't agree that amplifier sound quality has 'moved on miles' in the last 16 years and would suggest the Arcam would still hold its own with many amps around the £700 price point. As @Mark.Yudkin says, unless there's something wrong with the Solo or you want a change from the rather laid back Arcam sound, a change in speakers would bring about a bigger improvement in overall SQ.

Amps change at a very slow pace and what sounds good 16 years will still perform very well today. Same can be said of speakers that have been well looked after. Digital sources, including CD players have improved as the DACs and processing has moved forward.

Amps change at a very slow pace and what sounds good 16 years will still perform very well today. Same can be said of speakers that have been well looked after. Digital sources, including CD players have improved as the DACs and processing has moved forward.
Interesting. I don’t think modern cd players sound better than older players. I recently got hold of a Philips CD960 from 1987, regarded as one of the best players of all time, and I’d agree that it’s the best player I’ve heard, far better than any new players I’ve had or heard. However, the caveat is reliability. Lasers and drawer mechanisms deteriorate. I only got mine as it had been serviced with new belts etc. I find new players to be analytical and clinical but this is, of course, wholly subjective.

I wouldn't agree that amplifier sound quality has 'moved on miles' in the last 16 years and would suggest the Arcam would still hold its own with many amps around the £700 price point. As @Mark.Yudkin says, unless there's something wrong with the Solo or you want a change from the rather laid back Arcam sound, a change in speakers would bring about a bigger improvement in overall S I know my speakers when it comes to floor standers but I've always taken that bookshelf even on stands you are limited too ...... would Kef LS50 meta

I was just about to Put as my upgrade of £1000 for amp and CD is more or less debunked would the Kef LS50 meta bring that much more in detail, refinement, and sonic worth the upgrade from the 3030i with REL 5 sub? i am willing to part with these, but my only experience was with B/W + castle

If you really like your Arcam, have you considered having it serviced and upgraded? A year ago, I had my 25 year old amp thoroughly gone over, with a complete recap and assorted upgraded parts and I don't regret having it done. It was good when I first purchased it and sounds glorious now. And the work involved cost me what the amp cost when it was new. Perhaps an idea worth considering?

I’m sure I remember the original Solo having preouts...

So I’d suggest these if you want to seriously upgrade your sound...

Black or white and they look much better in person.

(x2)

As you’re considering a sub too then this would be better again.

The above will astonish you. Selling the Qs would make a bit of a dent in the price and in any case you’d never need more than the Dynaudios short of a hefty lottery contribution.

Ps, once your bank balance stops it’s tearful pining for its lost balance I’d suggest selling the Solo and buying one of these.

Superb CD player and first class dac/ preamp. They also have a very good and powerful headphone amp.

You’ll be manically giggling for years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom