New house - new speaker configuration

Such

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After moving into a new house I've had to make some changes to my kit - move to less deep power amps so going from 2 Nak's AVP1's to 2 Nords in order to get a cabinet that is a 42ish cm depth and low enough for a 77in Oled to sit.
This has made me think about wall-mounted speakers to replace my MA RX6's and RX Centre.
I did buy 6 Kef T101's in haste before buying the TV, but the Nord thread got me thinking perhaps I need some better quality speakers.
The Kef's were for surrounds and 4 atmos. I have a diy sealed 18in Ultimax with a hypex 1000w plate amp and BK mono+
I am thinking of going with Arendals 961 LCR, 4 atmos on ceiling and 2 surrounds, which is coming in at around 3600 euro.
Is there anything else I should be looking at in this price range?
I see MK have new flat wall-mounted speakers - any comparisons between the two?

Thanks

Hey Such!

Let`s compare the prices for similar M&K on-wall models:

MP950 - 3x = 2700£

M40T pair = 795£ or S55T = 1200£

M50 for atmos on-ceiling x4 = 1400£

Total 4895£ / 5300£

Arendal 1961 package you mentioned - 3600€ = total 3072£

Massive price difference.

No chance for opting 1723 LCR which would should be big step up, sadly they are normal depth? How large room you got? I was thinking if you can spend couple thousands more then need to consider carefully.

If money isn´t issue you have the low depth MP150 (1800£/each) version aswell.

If there would be way around to keep the Naks by moving the amp cabinet elsewhere (just get longer cables) from the tv then you would save big bucks which could be used for even better speakers. Win-win.

ATC has few on-wall options.

Last edited:
thanks for the comprehensive reply - the MK's Mp150's and ATC's are more than I'm willing to spend.
I may consider the Arendal 1723 LCR - would placing these on a cabinet be detrimental to the sound or do they require stands?

My TV is around 173cm wide so the cabinet would have to be wide enough to accommodate the 1723's probably around 250cm.

The width of room where it is going is around 4.25m, the depth is 5.7m, but the sofa will be against the back wall.

Keeping the Naks is not an option as there is nowhere to house a rack.
I may just go with the 1723 LCR and stick with the 1961 surrounds and atmos...

Need to look for a cabinet first though...

thanks for the comprehensive reply - the MK's Mp150's and ATC's are more than I'm willing to spend.
I may consider the Arendal 1723 LCR - would placing these on a cabinet be detrimental to the sound or do they require stands?

My TV is around 173cm wide so the cabinet would have to be wide enough to accommodate the 1723's probably around 250cm.

The width of room where it is going is around 4.25m, the depth is 5.7m, but the sofa will be against the back wall.

Keeping the Naks is not an option as there is nowhere to house a rack.
I may just go with the 1723 LCR and stick with the 1961 surrounds and atmos...

Need to look for a cabinet first though...

Yep wide cabinet and also ~50-60cm high one so you get the tweeters roughly on seated ear height. 1723 S Bookshelf is another option if the monitor 1723 S is too massive as front mains. The Centre is big one too, perhaps some floor tv stand behind and below your cabinet so picture won`t be blocked and center channel lays on top of the cabinet in "free air". I meant 1723 S ,not the full fat ones. You can then save with the 1961 for rest. I think it`s good plan if you feel they aren`t too large. Maybe do cardboard mock ups to be sure? :) As for the cabinet there is companies that builds you the type of cab you want in dimensions you give so shouldn´t be issue! Just need to be sturdy one, not those thin lightweight craps.

If you place speakers on top of the unit then pair of isolation pads under the three speakers.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I've decided to take the plunge and go for the 1723s monitors in black. I will try and order them this week sometime..
So that will be 2 1723's monitors, 1 1723 s centre, 4 1961 atmos, a pair of 961 surrounds and 1 pair of 961 bookshelf for rear surrounds...

The pricing has now gone back down since last week -when they changed to GBP.
Any idea how long it takes to ship to UK?
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom