New House - New Setup

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by miles_boro, Aug 5, 2013.

1. miles_boro

miles_boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hopefully getting keys to a new house on Friday. It’s a three story property and I am trying to plan locations of electrical AV equipment and also the running of cables between them.

On the top floor I will be installing a projector and creating a small home cinema. On that floor will be a HP Home Server, Blu-Ray Player, XBox 360 all via a Yamaha AV Receiver stored in a large cupboard. On the homesever will be my media (Video, Photo’s and Music) which I would like to be accessible around the house.

First thing I am trying to plan is where to install Sky. I would like to have Sky in 4 different rooms, all controllable in each of the rooms and in HD. However, I would like to feed the 4 rooms from only two boxes as I don’t think more than two boxes would every be used at any one time. Ideally these boxes will be located on the top floor in a cupboard with the other A/V equipment for the projector. From research, I’m already guessing that I am going to have to use HDMI to CAT6 to carry the signal to the 3 other rooms whilst the 4th can be fed straight in to my receiver and then to the projector. Obviously the ideal set-up would allow any of the four rooms to use either box, however if that’s expensive and maybe 2 rooms share one box then I will go down that route. Can anybody provide any help/tips for this type of setup?

The next thing I am considering is network / internet access. Fibre is available in the area so I would like to sign up with sky and keep to one package/bill. I would like the modem/router to be located on the top floor with all the other equipment. Is this simple enough if there’s a telephone socket up there? Does the signal drop sufficiently over that length? I would then like to feed most of the rooms with wired network and also extend the wireless network with an addition access point on the ground floor. Again, can anybody offer any help with wiring / wireless solutions? I’m trying to consider things such as:

• Which rooms to wire?
    • How many points in each room?
    • Path to wire (House is 9 years old) Outside / In-walls?
    • Can a wireless access point have same name as wireless router so that devices automatically connect to the stronger of the two?

We are not moving in for a few weeks while we decorate so it would be ideal to get the wiring sorted during this period.

If anybody can offer any help or tips for some of my considerations it would be much appreciated.

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    A dual Cat5/6 4x4 Matrix is around £500 and that would give you teh ability to have up to 4 sources connected to 4 TVS and watch them in any combination.

You shouldnt get any drop off from the router.

I would wire at least 4 CAt6 runs to every room, then you have flexibility to add network or AV devices as and when you need them. Definitely wire internally if at all possible otherwise you need to get external grade cable and containment on the outside of your house.

Also run a coax back to the Node 0/main cabinet so that you can still get an aerial feed if need for freeview.

Seb

3. miles_boro

miles_boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for the help. So would I need that and 4 of the £150 receivers, giving a total of £1100 plus cable?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  5. miles_boro

miles_boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Excellent thank you. That could be a good option. Does it support full 3d from a Blu Ray player?

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hi

yes it supports 3D from a BluRay

Seb

7. miles_boro

miles_boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks Seb. I guess the difficulty is running all the CAT cables. I'm considering running CAT cables in most rooms, but that would mean 18 to the ground floor and 18 to the first floor, all coming from the second floor. The house is 9 years old so I'm guessing they are using dry lined walls and chipboard flooring.

Do you know any good threads or websites to help with the cabling?

8. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You are best getting a professional in to run the cables as they know all the tricks, possible routes etc.

Where are you in the country ?

9. miles_boro

miles_boro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I am in the North East, Teesside.

10. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    I suggest once you are in the house you first have look at construction of walls and floor, and then decide if it somethng you feel comfortable doing or get a local cabler to have a look for you.