Question New House & New Setup! Thoughts?

Innovtech

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

After a very long time on the sidelines, gaining invaluable information, it's finally time for my first post (please go easy on me).

We have just bought a new house and have the luxury of not needing to move in right away, so I've got plenty of time to complete a nice new AV install. It's an open plan dining room & lounge setup with a big fireplace that I intend to mount a new LG OLED over using a "TranquilMount".

Render_01.jpg

After A LOT of research and agonising decisions (Nvidia Shield vs Apple TV was a big one, lol) I've finally come up with what I hope will be, a pretty future proof setup that will cover all our needs in the house. Most importantly, I think it can be used easily by everyone in the household at all times, even when I'm not around.

Here goes...

I intend to put my control rack under the stairs in the lounge and route my sources via a Denon AVR-X3500h to the Main LG OLED TV in the lounge (AVR main output) and a 32" TV in the Kitchen (AVR zone 2 output).

I've decided to ditch SKY-Q & go the Apple TV route as it seems to be the best "one-stop shop" available that has all the apps we need, all wrapped up in a user friendly interface that the whole family should enjoy...hopefully.

I'm going to add a HD Home Run Quatro & use the Channels App to stream Live TV to the various TV's & devices in house. A Synology DS218+ NAS Drive will be taking care of the DVR side of things for the Channels App.

I'm also going to put the "Plex Server" software onto the DS218+ to bring my media library into the Apple TV as well. Does anyone know if running both the "Channels DVR" & "Plex Server" software on the DS218+ is asking too much of it? I hope not.

For ease of install, the bedrooms in the house will have TV's & Android Boxes connected via Wifi.

I think I've got most things covered but it's always good to get other peoples opinions and tips before making the final commitment. The equipment drawn in red boxes on the plan is what I already own and can't afford to replace, but the stuff in blue boxes is what I'm planning on buying, so it can be changed if there's a better option or recommendation (in roughly the same price range).

Thanks in advance for looking and reading.

AV Setup Diagram v1.0.jpg

Attachments

• Fireplace_View_01.jpg
    Fireplace_View_01.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
Awesome plan that mate, have you considered running Cat 6 into the bedrooms and kitchen if you have the chance to? Wifi is ok, but wired is so much better.

Thanks Mate!

I will definitely run Cat-6 into all the rooms, but only if it's possible to get access into the walls without too much hassle.

I'm going to be making enough mess in the Lounge as it is, I don't want to chase anymore walls if I can help it.

TBH, I'm hoping that the "TP-Link AC2800 Wifi Router" will do a good enough job streaming media to the android TV boxes in the bedroom as it'll only be for occasional TV watching really.

What's the cable distance between the amp in the rack from under the stairs to the TV?

You should also consider:

- some cat6 from the switch to the loft or landing to wire up a wireless access point such as a unifi ac pro.
-some cat6 for poe cctv?
- you should always have at least 2 runs of cat6 to every location for future proofing and back-up just in case one cable ever gets damaged/fails for whatever reason.

The final cable route from the AVR to the TV is going to be approx 15m. I've done a fair bit of research and I finally on using a Ruipro Hybrid Fibre Optic HDMI Cable as a lot of people seem to have a pleasant experience with it regarding 4k, HDR & Dolby Vision Etc. I am open to any less costly options that people could recommend but it would have to be as reliable as the Ruipro seem s to be.

I will definitely be putting Cat6 (& Redundancy) in as many rooms as I can, including the loft.
We are intending on decorating the whole house before we move in so I'll get the cabling in before that happens, I just cant justify tearing up too many walls if the access is restrictive.

I'm fairly new to ATV so this might be a dumb question, but do you need to run a Plex server on the Synology to get your media to the ATV? Can't you achieve the same thing using Infuse?

I'm fairly new to ATV so this might be a dumb question, but do you need to run a Plex server on the Synology to get your media to the ATV? Can't you achieve the same thing using Infuse?

No you don't need to install plex on the Synology NAS to stream media to an APTV with Infuse.

All you need is the Infuse app installed on the APTV and it will find and mount your Synology NAS drive/folders and you are good to go. Infuse Pro on the APTV4K is almost the best media streaming set up...I say almost, because at the moment the APTV4K doesn't support ATMOS playback on LOCAL files, but other than ATMOS support its brilliant.

No you don't need to install plex on the Synology NAS to stream media to an APTV with Infuse.

All you need is the Infuse app installed on the APTV and it will find and mount your Synology NAS drive/folders and you are good to go. Infuse Pro on the APTV4K is almost the best media streaming set up...I say almost, because at the moment the APTV4K doesn't support ATMOS playback on LOCAL files, but other than ATMOS support its brilliant.

This was exactly my understanding, so good to have the confirmation. I'm planning to buy a NAS today/this weekend to use with Infuse. Hopefully by the time I get around to installing ceiling speakers it will resolve the lack of Atmos problem, and then my APTV4K will cater to virtually all my AV needs!

This was exactly my understanding, so good to have the confirmation. I'm planning to buy a NAS today/this weekend to use with Infuse. Hopefully by the time I get around to installing ceiling speakers it will resolve the lack of Atmos problem, and then my APTV4K will cater to virtually all my AV needs!

What NAS are you getting?

I've owned a 2bay Synology DS212+ before, I've got the DS918+ now, also the APTV4K.
If buying Synology I would recommend you get a Plus model. I don't know about QNAP's.

I will probably end up using Infuse on my APTV4K as it's currently the better option, but I'll be using Plex for almost everything else in the home & also remote streaming. I've had a long relationship with Plex & It's a firm favourite in our household. I also think it's the best at remote streaming witch is a regular occurrence for us.

I will probably end up using Infuse on my APTV4K as it's currently the better option, but I'll be using Plex for almost everything else in the home & also remote streaming. I've had a long relationship with Plex & It's a firm favourite in our household. I also think it's the best at remote streaming witch is a regular occurrence for us.
Ah, that makes sense. I'd probably use Plex myself if I wanted remote streaming.

What NAS are you getting?

I've owned a 2bay Synology DS212+ before, I've got the DS918+ now, also the APTV4K.
If buying Synology I would recommend you get a Plus model. I don't know about QNAP's.
That was what I was planning to spend this morning figuring out but I got sidetracked. Something that can run uTorrent. A two bay Synology was what I'd assumed so I'll look at the DS212+, thanks. Two bays is plenty at the moment, seeing as, right now, I have zero video content to load on to it!

That was what I was planning to spend this morning figuring out but I got sidetracked. Something that can run uTorrent. A two bay Synology was what I'd assumed so I'll look at the DS212+, thanks. Two bays is plenty at the moment, seeing as, right now, I have zero video content to load on to it!

The DS212+ is an older model. If you only need 2 bays then go for the DS218+

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom