• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New House, New Set Up!

0james0

Standard Member
I am fortunate enough to be buying a house that is a wreck (ironic I know). Fortunate in the sense that hiding wires will not be an issue and I'm a keen wannabe tech geek. My knowledge is miles away from what it used to be, but I'll still attempt to get stuck in.

I've recently stumbled on home automation and the idea has hooked me. I'll run everything from iPhones/ pads/ pods and wires are fine.

However that is where the ease ends, the choice for what is a new Market for me is huge. I've read a lot, but the more I read, the bigger the choice gets, the more confused I get!

I am also keen to grow my audio visual links around the house, in an attempt to make it seemless to watch anything, from any source on any TV/ monitor in the house. Again I don't really know how, but I'm fairly sure I can do it without too much extra. If there was a way I could link the AV automation with the home automation I'd be over joyed.

Id like to be able to control a few lights (lights not lamps too), up to about 8 of them and maybe a couple plug sockets. Central heating control as well. Everything is being fitted new anyway.

The main items for a renovated house are killing the budget as it is, so money isn't endless, quantity would be sacrificed over cost. Plus I want a new larger bettet TV.

So what I'm after is general advice and almost a shopping list of items to buy so I can price it up. At the moment I have no idea what I need to buy, I want to avoid buying crap I don't need or isn't worth the money.

Any takers?

I have some basic plans if anyone wants me to post them up.

Linx08

I'd have a look at www.control4.com as their system is very expandable and would allow you to do all you ask. I have it at home and it's great.

Mind you I'm an installer. Lol

Kind regards

Linx

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom