New house, new connections :(

w3dal

Distinguished Member
Just moved into our new house and noticed when I took the faceplate off the wall in the lounge it only has two cables attached but faceplate says for sat1, sat2, radio and tv.

So do I need one of these loft boxes to convert the signals?

Loft aerial has gone in and sky are booked for next weekend but wanna use the cables/face plates already supplied by the developer,instead of drilling more holes and running cables down the brick work.

Thanks

Dal

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member

logiciel

the faceplate off the wall in the lounge it only has two cables
So do I need one of these loft boxes to convert the signals?
Those two are fine, and yes you do need the distributor.
Two cables from the dish and one from the aerial go into that, and two go out of it and down to the wallplate, so you'd better be finding out which is which!

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Loft aerial has gone in and sky are booked for next weekend but wanna use the cables/face plates already supplied by the developer,instead of drilling more holes and running cables down the brick work.

Be warned, most Sky installers will not go into a loft, and, even if they do, would need you to have your loftbox fitted such that they can prove the system is working before they leave.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
logiciel said:
Those two are fine, and yes you do need the distributor.
Two cables from the dish and one from the aerial go into that, and two go out of it and down to the wallplate, so you'd better be finding out which is which!

Thanks for this - if I have no interest in using the aerial in the lounge can I just use the two coax cables to connect to the sky dish?

Ill see if the sky installer can at-least put some cable jnto the loft and then ill join them up.

logiciel

That's OK and you probably could but Sky won't go along with it.
Their installation consists of providing direct connections from dish to PVR.
Only then can they guarantee the installation.
If you want something different from that you'll need to discuss it with them well in advance.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
If I were you then I would get Sky to install normally, (cables through the walls), and then use the existing cables in your lounge to distribute your Sky output and Freeview to the rest of the house - requiring only a cheap distributor in the loft.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
Well I can't get any signal in the loft. Using a log40 I think it's called aerial. This is starting to get expensive as the quotes I was getting was over £300 pounds

logiciel

All the more reason for having Sky's standard installation which costs nothing.

I noted you'd had an aerial put in the loft, and wondered why, as they don't work well, and you won't need one when you've got the Sky installation done.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
logiciel said:
All the more reason for having Sky's standard installation which costs nothing.

I noted you'd had an aerial put in the loft, and wondered why, as they don't work well, and you won't need one when you've got the Sky installation done.

Ok - don't need because ill use the loft box to boost the sky signal around the bed rooms?

I attempted to put the aerial in myself and failed miserably using a signal meter, if it picks up a signal it's very very low on the meter and doing a scan on the TV bring back only a handful of channels at best and none of them are bbc, itv or channel 4 etc

youngpip

I had a faceplate for satellite in my new house, but only had one socket so no good for sky+!

I mentioned it to the installer anyway and he wasn't keen on going via the loft so just did direct cables.

logiciel

w3dal

Distinguished Member
logiciel said:
You'll be able to use the output from the Sky machine's RF2 Out socket to send the channel that's currently selected on it to other rooms, in the way that S N refers to in post #8.
Here's someone else's experience with that type of aerial, showing that it isn't a good choice for indoor use: http://www.avforums.com/forums/freeview/1249631-freeview-hd-log40.html

Using the rf2 would mean running another cable from the sky box up side of house and into loft which I don't wanna do at this moment unless I have totally Mis understood SN's comments?

Wall plate looks like this -

If I were you then I would get Sky to install normally, (cables through the walls), and then use the existing cables in your lounge to distribute your Sky output and Freeview to the rest of the house - requiring only a cheap distributor in the loft.

S N,

been thinking about your idea, im just a little confused on where the cable from the sky box (rf2) goes into the booster.

a quick scan of my thoughts.

I already have cabled from the sky box to the wall plate (fitted these over the weekend)

The cables in the middle are using whats already in the loft.

Really appeciate the help you two :thumbsup:

Attachments

• image-1069181496.jpg
    image-1069181496.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 67
  • quick_diag.pdf
    370.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:

logiciel

No, you already have the cable to take the RF2 Output to the distributor - one of the two that go into the wallplate.
The bottom right socket on the wallplate should be marked Return and you connect RF2 Out to that.

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
....one of the two that go into the wallplate.
The bottom right socket on the wallplate should be marked Return and you connect RF2 Out to that.

.........the other cable you connect to your terrestrial aerial in the loft and into RFIn on the Sky box.

w3dal

Distinguished Member
logiciel said:
No, you already have the cable to take the RF2 Output to the distributor - one of the two that go into the wallplate.

It's marked radio, there is no return on the face plate :(

Last edited:

logiciel

I see that Radio label now, with a bit of eye strain, though you said so in the first post anyway.:blush:
That changes things, so over to S N for ideas.;)

Last edited:

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
It doesn't matter what they are marked, the two "Sat" connectors will be directly connected to the two cables behind the wallplate. You have to determine which cable in the loft goes to which socket; then Post#17.

You will need two cables with Belling Lee to F connectors.

logiciel

Stevenage Neil

Distinguished Member
Gosh, this is hard work!

The original installer assumed that the OP would have a Loftbox sending LNB1 and LNB2/TV/Radio, via two cables, into the lounge/sitting room. - Two cables into the sitting room.

I think we have all agreed, that from the OP's perspective, it would be best to go with a "regular" Sky install requiring LNB1 and LNB2 coming through the wall. This frees up the two cables coming down from the loft into the sitting room. - Still with me?

One of these cables can be used to transmit the terrestrial, (Freeview), signal to RFIn on the Sky box. The other cable can be used to carry the Freeview+Skybox signal to the loft to be distributed to other rooms.

What's the problem?

logiciel

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution