New House, help with setup

tazg101

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently just purchased a new house and will be starting on some alterations next week.

I have done a model of the expected layout in sketchup, the TV location (and fronts and amp) are easy to place but i'm having issues with the rear speakers. The speakers I'm looking to purchase are the q'acoustics 3000 5.1 series ( with the 3050 floor standers).

We are shrinking the garage to make the living room bigger. The garage is narrow so not ideal for car but the work will still give us an amply garage for washer etc. There will be a door leading into the living room, not ideal, but this location can be altered.

The wall with tv is flat, except the door to the conservatory, but this is out of the way.

Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Attachments

• layout 3d.jpg
    layout 3d.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 69
Floor standing speakers - keep in mind Movies are 'mixed' for playback on a system comprising of limited range speakers plus a Sub.

3050 - from the User Manual:

'The 3050 loudspeakers should be positioned at least 200mm from a back wall and 500mm from the side walls. Placing the speakers closer to the wall will increase bass but could cause the sound to boom and lack precision and detail. The speakers should be 2m - 4m apart and central to the seated listener. Turning the speakers slightly inwards will sharpen a stereo image but may cause narrowing of the sound source'.

5.1 Layout - see 5.1 Speaker Setup Guide

If you can't place the Surrounds to the side of the sofa you may want to consider a Dipole type speaker on the rear wall.

Joe

Thanks for the reply.I've briefly looked at bipole speakers but they don't look cosmetically pleasing. Can you get in wall bi pole speakers?

You can - we have used models from Atlantic Technology.

Others may have experience of different brands.

Joe

thanks, can you recommend any UK stockists. I've also looked at the UIW RSS II by definitivetech but they seem to be US only.

Thanks.

Drop me a note if you want info on the Atlantic Technology - DefTech may be possible too (if I can remember who looks after them in the UK).

Joe

Hi, we've decided to flip the conversion around a bit and keep the garage as it is. This means losing a playroom and converting the conservatory into something a bit more useful. I have attached a new sketch below and I think this gives u more scope on what speakers we can use. Would 2 bipole speakers on the back wall be recommended? thanks

Attachments

• layout 3d v2.jpg
    layout 3d v2.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 45
The rectangle on the wall is a tv and the rectangle on the floor in front of sofa ia ikea besta tv cabinet (used to check room space). So when seated, you would be facing left to right.

layout 3d v2.jpg hi, I have an issue with my current plan as I didn't take into consideration the RSJ that will be sticking out of my ceiling and the nib that just so happens to be behind the sofa in the prime location for the rear right speaker. Could anyone give me advice on where I can place my rears?

many thanks,

Attachments

• layout 3d v2.jpg
    layout 3d v2.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 39

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom