Question New house. help with home network...

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by enemjay, Jun 15, 2015.

1. enemjay

enemjay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New network help?

Hi all

Have recently moved house and a 24 port patch-panel has been set up in the loft with ethernet sockets in each room.
    How do I best get this this work?

I have BT router in one of the downstairs rooms next to the main phone socket - how do I get this router signal up to the patch-panel?

Ideas greatly appreciated

Enemjay

2. Herbiefish

Herbiefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +573
    Cat5/6 cable plugged into your router and the other end into your switch to make the others active.

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    As HF suggests, buy a switch for the loft and use the cable runouts to plug your router into the switch in the loft - assuming you have a cable near to the router/phone socket.

4. enemjay

enemjay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

So... use one of the ethernet sockets to take the router signal up to the loft. Then into a switch. Then into the patch-panel?

5. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,755
    A patch panel is simply cable termination - it's exactly the same as the sockets in the rooms, except many more of them in a single lump of (usually) plastic/metal. To join things together to form a LAN you need an "active" component such as an ethernet switch.

One usually places a switch near to the patch panel, then use short(ish) UTP cables called Patch-Cords to link the ports (and hence data outlets in your rooms) of the PP that you want "live" to the switch (you don't have to do them all if all are not required.)

Thence you need a link down to your router to avail the Internet service (and a few other things SOHO routers do.) If the previous resident went to the trouble of putting in UTP cabling, you may find one of the cable run outs from the PP already reaches down to wherever your router is located.

6. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +450
    ADSL into the router, then Ethernet port on router <--> Cat5E cable to Loft patchpanel <--> switch port.

7. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Assuming there's a ethernet socket next to the master phone socket, that will be connected to a socket on your patch panel.

Plug a cable between the router and the ethernet socket, then in the loft connect the corresponding patch panel socket to your switch. Other sockets in rooms will also be run to the patch panel, it's just a case of working out which is which and plugging the relevant patch panel socket into your switch.

Lucky you buying a house that's already fully networked! I'm having to do my house one room at a time when we do our first round of decorating.

8. enemjay

enemjay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all...

I think I have the idea.
    Will give it a go - need to get hold of a switch