New House Cabling

Dougaldog

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently in the process of having a house built and are wanting to centralise all my kit and distribute using Cat6 for HD. im looking for some advice on what I would need and how to go about centralising all of the following 3x SkyHD, 1x DVD, 2x AV Receiver, Playstation. The AVR's are to be used in two specific rooms that will have sourround sound speaker installed and cabled back to the central area. I would be grateful for any advice..

If I had a £1 for every time someone asks this question....:)

2 x Cat6 to each display using 1 to distribute HDMI over Cat6 and the other a spare in case one of the cables is damaged or at least you can use it if the display has an Ethernet for things like Smart TV functionality

2 x Cat6 to the AVR's again to provide HDMI over Cat6 as most AVR's have Internet streaming/control functions that work over IP.

You might also want to think about running a shotgun coax out to display areas which will allow you to move a Sky box into a room should you ever want and or use it for digital TV services as a backup in case HD Matrix stops or anything goes wrong

More important things to consider are how you might want to control your kit that is centralised like your SkyHD, etc via IR. How you are going to control which Sky box is associated with which room/rooms/etc.
Also might want to think more about whether you really want to centralise your Playstation you don't mention which version so its hard to advise but if for example you're using wireless controllers they might not work from the room you're 'playing' in back to the central location.

Hope that helps and by the way if you're building a new property I'd advise you look beyond just A/V and consider things like controlled lighting and heating, etc as it can certainly cost less to install during a build and really adds value to a property in my opinion

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom