New House Build = Blank Canvas

Hate and never use metal back boxes.
In fact I spend my life replacing them on walls we work on because I haven't met an electrician or builder that fits them correctly.
They are either out of level, too far back or require a major filling and decorating job to make them look decent.
I laser align everything I do consistent with my OCD.

Last edited:
HAHAHAHA your like me then sometimes i even go into a job notice a picture is not straight then line it up quick when no one is in the room. Sad i know :)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. I fully understand where you're coming from with regards budget and getting carried away With the finishing luxurys rather than the actual build. I'm not just spending time on the AV but every part of the build from ground level up, in fact the last few evenings I've been designing a staircase on 3d software.

If you flick back to my original post I'm actually trying to get information on what cables / infrastructure I should initially feed through the building, so in the future, money permitting I can easily add more AV into the house with minimal disruption.

I have the initial house drawings ready and they will be going back to the local authority in the next month for approval (the build plot already has planning for an house that's too big for us). if you send me your email address I'll forward you a PDF copy of the plans to have a look over.

With regards the lighting system I was advised (by more than one installer at the shows) "either put it in at the initial build or don't bother at all", that's why I was curious about the cost and ease of install. I didn't want to build and kit out the house and then find out later that it would have been relatively easy and cost effective to put something in from the start.

After reading some of your previous post I will try to 'design in' Cable ways to help in the future should changes be required. With the new build it will be a solid fill cavity foam, so no cavity space can be used to route cables, hence the suggestion of chiselling and sinking pipes, I honestly don't know any other way of running a duct up the wall without chiselling it out ?!?!

you can fit smooth bore ducting through your cavity foam before its applied.
Failing that false walls all the way through the house but I recommend absolutely no chasing.

Cn I buy the smooth bore ducting form the electrical wholesalers ?? also what size are you talking ??

Available from JDP (John Davidson Pipes) or similar suppliers.

I fit 63mm smooth bore flexible ducting as standard or 2 x 50mm.

Fitting 100mm GPD pipes today under floors to TV walls in rooms downstairs.
You can never have enough capacity.
Despite the fact that architects, project managers etc. think my ducting is overkill they are very quick to commandeer space for the electricians, plumbers or other trades when they forgot something!

Hi

Have you looked at Futronix for the lighting? Futronix Dimmers - Large innovative range of dimmers, switch plates, switch panels, lighting controls, home automation

They can supply individual wall mounted dimmers for smaller rooms/properties and larger, whole house systems, if required. The Enviroscene and PFX house systems can also be linked to home networks if required.

If you send them a sketch or specification they will advise on the lighting control at no charge. If you mention the Home Control system you decide on they will check for compatibility for you.

Hope this helps

Compolitus

If you want an idea of what i run to each room for an install i can email you a copy of one of my jobs Cable schedules if that would help pm you your email. Happy to help :)

Would you send it to me please also

Thanks PM on the way.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom