1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new house, blank canvas, where do i start to research cable routing, remote lights et

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by oreoboy13, Nov 19, 2003.

1. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just bought a new house, that needs work and i dont have to move in for two months, threrefore its a perfect opportunity to do any potentially ugly home cinema induced work out the way.

I am going to build a media server to put in my study and then have terminals in my bedroom, kitchen, and sitting room(hcpc). i have only ever lived in rented accomodation before and so have no experience or knowledge of how to go about doing a semi pro install, that would allow me to route cable (RJ45, speaker cable, etc etc) around the house), i imagine it would involve ripping up the skirting board etc.

As far as hiding speaker cable inside each room i imagine its a simple case of hacking a channel into the wall, laying the speaker cable and then plastering back on top?

The house also needs an electrical overhual so i thought i might aswell install dimmer switches that can be controlled via infra red or RF, but i have no idea what this might involve or where to look?

Any help or direction as to where to start on what i can imagaine to be a long path would see me being very grateful.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If it were me, I would be pulling cables under the floor and making very good and sure to mark what they all are or else you will reach black box stage when you try to connect it! For cables in the wall, channel like you suggest. If you are doing an electrical upgrade, make sure to keep a mains ring specially for the cinema. Lighting, well i know x10 stuff but if you are doing the whole house, you might want something a bit more professional like lutron or futronix or something. A place for home automation stuff would be www.letsautomate.com

ad

3. barnabybear

barnabybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obvious thing (But so often overlooked) - don't forget to get more electrical sockets installed for all your equipment.;)