1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New HomeCinema Mag

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mjwhitehouse, Apr 24, 2001.

1. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to pop my head above the parapet for a second (I read all of the flames of Charles/Chompy on AVS Forum) it was nice to see the Ellie was now in the revised top 5 in the new HCC magazine. Love the new layout by the way. :p

2. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I agree.

The Ellie may not be everybodys choice, but its certainly head and shoulders over the many corporate LCD and DLP projectors that they seem to like reviewing. Nobody in thier right mind would consider many that are reviewed for HC. At least the Ellie does do the job nicely.

Cheers Rob

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
  4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just thought I'd stick my nose in...

I doubt anyone would disagree that CRT is the current king for the best picture.

However, some of us have rooms that would be dominated by a CRT projector (WAF=0).

In my case, my projector has to be capable of being hand-carried on a plane. How long would an Ellie survive KLM baggage handlers ??? ;-)

It would be fun watching my customers wait for their presentation whilst I aligned a CRT projector ;-)

Life is full of compromises.... I still live in the vague hope that Gordon's gonna demo a box of tricks that makes my tiny DLP projector perform like a 9" CRT... I can still dream.

Have a good movie filled weekend,
    Gary

5. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Dont get me wrong, there are some good LCD/ DLP projectors, I just don't see why HCC choose to review so many that are clearly not designed for home cinema. For example the ask impression A10, Proxima pro. Both over and above £10,000 . Both good projectors I'me sure for presentations etc. but would you pay this for an average picture in your HC??

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rob,

Fair point well made.

I must admit that I would never spend £10K on any LCD or DLP projector (except maybe a 3DLP 16:9 panel machine when they exist). If I had that kind of money to spend on a projector now it would most definitely be CRT.

I haven't read this months HCC yet. Did the article reference HTPCs ?

I wonder if a £10K sh*t-hot data projector could be viewed in a more favourable light if the picture came from a PC ?

You'd think this would be an obvious thing to check in a HC related projector article.....

[ 30-04-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]

7. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Ellie, IMHO, is still the first choice for a Home cinema projector (well, on my budget anyhow!). My room is meagre and small, but my Ellie and its trusty screen hangs in the roof, so it effectively doesn't use any space at all (or at least useable space). It's completely replaced the TV, so I've effectively made the room bigger again.

The Ellie wouldn't last too long at all with airport baggage handlers, true, but then neither would the Panasonic TV that it replaced ;o)

When looking in August last year, I compared it with the Tosh MT-1, the Sony CS-1 and the HT400 (forgive me if I've typo'd the model numbers - I can't remember them!), and the Ellie beat them all hands down. OK, so it requires a proper installation, but that's just a one off - buy one for the picture! It's rich, magical and crisp.

To be honest I didn't compare it with any of the other CRTs, since I couldn't afford them, but I'm also pleased to see my baby up there with the rest of them now in the top five...

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    If these corporate projectors were fed via an HCPC there would no doubt be an improvement in picture quality. You would still have the problem of the lack of contrast ratio, which is a drawback of these technologies. Projectors that are designed for HC (HT200, VW 10HT) are no doubt better than those that arn't. It would be interesting for HCC to run an article on HCPCs , reviewing video/ sound cards etc. I'm not sure I would choose that route, too much messing about for me, but many people do. You do, after all get great de interlacing/ scaling at a very good price.

9. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have to disagree here...

I don't want to start another flame war, but for those with £4,000 to spend (the price of an Ellie) the best choice is the used market... a Barco 808s or even a 708 will significantly out perform the Ellie.

These projectors are readily available on the used market at around the £4k mark in great condition and with low hours. And if a warranty is important to you... you can get that too.

I'm sorry, but 4k for a projector that still has analogue convergence just doesn't sound like good value when stacked against a Barco 808s with digital convergence, electromagnetic focus and IRIS.

Just my opinion.

Leon

10. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Leon,
    Just a few points to pick you up on:

<STRONG>1)</STRONG> I think you already have!
    <STRONG>2)</STRONG> significantly???
    <STRONG>3)</STRONG> You need to be experienced to know you’re not being ripped-off in the second-hand-market.
    <STRONG>4)</STRONG> For a price, yes!
    <STRONG>5)</STRONG> Analogue is continuously variable is it not? Why do you think we have such things as Digital to analogue converters then? Do you Listen and See in digital? Is it better to fine-tune a ‘pot’ to be spot on, or to get ‘a near miss in-between digital steps’? How near to a perfect convergence does the IRIS get?

Surely, the Ellie fairs damm-well with ALL of these points raised.

Don’t forget what the Gentleman said: <STRONG>“(well, on my budget anyhow!).”</STRONG>

Rob.

11. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK...

Replying to your points in order...

You are calling this a flame war not me... I just stated my opinion.

Yes significantly ... I've seen both the Ellie, used Barco, used Electohomes and Seleco 400's and 800's. IMHO they all significantly out performed the Ellie, particularly when you consider they can all be had for around the price of a new Ellie.

Agreed, but who spends £4k on anything before fully researching the market and gaining a basic understanding of what to look for in a CRT... we all know the basic things to check. It's not as complex as people make it out to be.

I would suggest that any company selling projectors, new or used, at the £4k price point would expect to have to warranty the units as part of the deal. If your paying £4k for any projector and not getting a warranty then you need to walk away. That said, I paid £900 for my 3 year old 900 hour Barco Data 808s... clearly I'm not going to get a warranty at that price.

OK... this made me laugh! Not sure what you're getting at with the DA converter stuff... but, it's definitely better to be standing close to the screen using a remote to converge a zone rather than having your head stuck in a projector, 12 feet from the screen, turning a pot and squinting to see if you have that blue gun lining up with the green perfectly.

If you do the the initial set up for IRIS, it does work very well indeed.

Yes, I heard that... that's why my argument was pitched at projectors, both new and used at the £4k price point.

Why is that Ellie owners can't accept that there are other choices available to CRT owners with a £4k budget, but insist on vehemently defending their position?

12. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stereotyped at last! Don’t you just love it!

Ware are you coming from?

NO, I’m not “vehemently defending their position”, just trying to balance the thread.
    Didn’t realise I was deeply offending you. Sorry pal!

The reply came due to your statement - “the best choice is the used market... a Barco 808s or even a 708 will significantly out perform the Ellie.” Pretty strong statement don’t you think.

If I had said something as strong as that about the Ellie I would expect a similar response.

I hope your wife is understanding!

My wife isn’t!

Rob.

13. Leon Rees

Leon Rees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK...

You win...

The Ellie is the best and only choice for home cinema at the £4k price point.

These Ellie discussions are tiresome... search the archives and show me one article that doesn't have somebody defending their Ellie purchase to the death whenever it is compared to other projectors.

I think it was me who was attempting to bring some balance to the thread...

I'm out of here...

What's my wife got to do with this?

Leon

14. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO, IMHO is the most overused web abbreviation.
    The online Cambridge Dictionary of English has this definition of IMHO:

In my humble opinion (=I want to emphasize that I think that)

If you can get a demo of a second hand projector and an inexpensive warranty then it should be trialled against all of the other "first-hand" projectors you want to look at. Then buy the one you are happiest with. I bought an Ellie, I have not regretted it. I know there are better projectors out there but I already have one. Life is too short for second guessing yourself. That's my wifes job.

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The great Ellie debate, when will it end? Maybee we should spend more time enjoying our fine setups, and less time trying to score points. We all have our own views IMHO (sorry!)

Regards Rob.

16. cessquill

cessquill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, apologies for sticking my neck out - I should just clarify myself here...

I'm not that hot on the absolute ins and outs of the projector technology, and hence I didn't consider myself educated enough to dare any kind of second hand market. Maybe there are better models out there secondhand - but I didn't consider myself in a position to throw £4k around on a maybe. In this market it probably isn't the case, and everyone can be trusted and all that, but at the time I couldn't afford to take that chace with what is to me a serious amount of money.

When I've recalibrated my projector since moving the screen I managed it with two people. A friend with his head in the back, and myself at the screen. That wasn't really hard, and if anything was advantageous to get a second opinion when my eyes started to give out!

I maybe should rephrase to say that I'd suggest it to anyone with that budet that didn't feel comfortable going down the second hand route.

Many apologies for lighting any fires, I am just still excited about my setup - didn't really fancy getting shot down, but hey.