New home with existing sky? Dish and lnb

damianiw

Novice Member
Hi, we moved home earlier this year and the previous occupier has kindly left us a satellite dish with a sky el010 lnb, this has 6 outputs routed as 3 pairs to 3 rooms, I hooked up a Humax Fox Sat HD which uses only one connection and tested two of the rooms and it works great. Im not very knowledgable with satellite and Freesat as previously a free view user with a Humax hdr fox t 2.

As the aerial Isn’t very good we decided to go with Freesat and I purchased a Freesat 4k recorder which works great uses the 2 connections in the downstairs room that I didn’t test the foxsat hdr on, we had an installer help reroute these as they were going to a different side of the room and he mentioned the el010 was a hybrid lnb, that the prior occupiers probably had sky Q and that it could Allow 4 recordings at a time on the Freesat box.

So I did some reading and discovered the EL010 is a hybrid lnb, but the new Freesat box is only showing it as ‘standard’ and allowing 2 channels, I thought maybe they had the sky q in another room but both other rooms the fox sat hd finds all 180 channels on tuning, showing both H and V frequencies ? I’m possibly confused here by how (if) the wideband works, I can get to the dish with a ladder but can’t see any diagrams online about if 2 of the 6 outputs are wide and to follow the cables.

Can anyone help offer some advice on if I’m completely wrong, it’s all working great but would like to know if I’ve got confused and the EL010 and the Freesat recorder can do more and I’ve just got to tweak a config or swap a cable.

We are South of England and this Is the recorder: How to Get Freesat | Freesat

Thank You

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Sadly it's well documented here (and other forums) that the freesat 4k box (aka Arris, who make it for freesat) is not able to tell the $ky hybrid 6-port lnb to switch to wideband mode.

So you're stuck with two simultaneous records and (probably) watch another (limited selection of) channels.

EDIT: freesat has no C4 HD so if you have a working UHF aerial, the -T2 could still be a better PVR (with CF) ;)

winston2010

I would have thought the vastly increased number of channels on Freesat more than compensates for the lack of HD on C4. After all the programme content is still there.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
I would have thought the vastly increased number of channels on Freesat more than compensates for the lack of HD on C4. After all the programme content is still there.
Nah.... Most people only watch a very small subset of the broadcast channels.

damianiw

Novice Member
Thanks, the aerial and all the cabling are no good, I was aware of the c4 HD missing, thanks you've saved me looking into it further 2 channels recording is fine it's the same as my Humax, which I'll sell on now.

Maybe I'll look in future to replace the lnb but for now it's working so will leave it.

The Freesat picture is pretty good 😁

Nah.... Most people only watch a very small subset of the broadcast channels.
There's a few extra channels which is nice, the main thing is it works well, we got quite a bit of interruption even with a good aerial in our last home

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom