New home - TV wiring advice needed!

settop13

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am moving into a new home, which is being ripped out and re decorated, so i am looking to sort out the tv setup in the living room in terms of cabling etc.

Its a small mid terraced home, with 2 reception rooms (1 living room, 1 kitchen/diner). I want to have the tv on the wall, and a small low TV unit at the bottom. Since the builder is in the house and is going to be doing the wiring and plumbing behind the plaster i am looking for advice on the best way to wire it up.

The tv is mainly going to be used as a smart TV, and for gaming. I think the best way to wire it up would be to put a plug socket on the wall where the TV wall mount is going to be. For the Ethernet cable i am going to feed the wire through the wall (from the bottom of the wall up to the top) and i also need 4 HDMI connections wired the same way.

Im a bit of a newbie when it comes to this, so my questions are:

1) What quality of HDMI cables should i buy bearing in mind they are going to be stuck behind the plaster

2) Im definitely going to have HDMI faceplates at the bottom of the wall, so i can just plug a console into the wall without having to mess around with shelves etc. – Should i also have faceplates at the top behind the TV, and then get a small HDMI to HDMI lead to plug from that into the TV? Or should i just have the wires coming out of the wall, as they will be covered by the TV anyway

3) Is there any other connections i need to think about?

Any input and help would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

I would put optical cable too behind the wall, also usb extensions from tv etc.
HDMI faceplates - if you need these for clean look, but otherwise try to use direct cables for everything.
How about the sound? Nothing? Suggesting wires at least 5.1 ready, it's so easy to do right now before plastering.

Have a look at this as this recesses the plugs and connectors so you can have the TV very flush to the wall if you want. If you have a socket and plug then you end up having to have it considerably further out.

What is Syncbox - Syncbox

This was the one on Dragon's Den.

I also wouldn't want to have any additional wall plates in the HDMI runs as breaks in the connection can cause issues particularly with say 4K which you only find out about after you upgrade and you cables in the walls.

Try and put trunking in so you can if necessary replace a cable should you need to upgrade or it become faulty.

Run more that one ethernet too.

You don't need to spend much on HDMI cables but they should be as a minimum be High Speed Certified, and you should be able to decent ones from Amazon for under a tenner each.

As citywalker states are you planning to have any additional AV receiver and speakers?

Conduit is good!

With 4K_UHD (2160p) the 'rules' about deploying HDMI have changed a bit over HD (1080p) - though some things never change, like minimise any unnecessary breaks in the signal path.

Game Console - are you likely to plug one in occasionally or have it on a permanent connection?

Audio - as others have said if you want the full 'experience' I'd be wiring for surround sound, assuming the Room/Room Layout lends itself to it.

Plans - would be good to see the room/room layout and what about the rest of the house - no plans to share Video or Audio around the house?

Joe

hi

thanks for all the replies! i knew there would be something i'd forgotten, i will need to wire something up to the sound.

i had a similar feeling about the HDMI faceplates, and wasnt keen on using them even at the bottom of the wall. Would it be better to get something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philex-Ent...84625&sr=8-2&keywords=DOUBLE+GANG+brush+plate and put one at the top (behind the TV) and one at the bottom (theyll both be covered by the TV and TV unit anyway) and then get trunking put behind the wall so i can wire whatever i want later?

I'll probably keep a games console plugged in, and was thinking of keeping the router in a small TV unit that id place below the tv on the carpet.

I'll take some pictures of the room in a couple of days, at the moment the builders are busy ripping it out

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Yes that would be fine or like I say that sync box so you can recess everything further and get the TV tight up to the wall.

thanks, the sync box looks like a good idea for the power cable and one hdmi and ethernet, but i'll probably still use the brushfaceplates so i can wire what i want later.

in terms of trunking, what sort of thing am i looking for and where would be the best place to get it. i would like something which the builder can hide behind the plaster, but i can still take out cables / feed them through later

The sync box has an option for a brush box type one or similar concept too.

People often use small drain pipes

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom