Question New Home - Trying to juggle home cinema and stereo

The RCA switch sits in between the Marantz/Denon & the subwoofer.

Looking at the connections on the W12 subwoofer, it has seperate stereo & LFE inputs.

Assuming they can be dual connected, you could connect the stereo (Marantz) pre-outs to the Stereo inputs on the subwoofer. Then run a single RCA from the sub out (Denon) to the LFE input on the sub.

Technically you wouldn't need an RCA switch. The only issue I forsee is that when using the Marantz as a Power Amp In 5.1 mode, you could get "double bass".

You can avoid this by using the RCA switch, but just connecting the Marantz pre-out to input 1 of the switch, leaving input 2 blank. Output from the switch goes to subs stereo inputs (L&R). Connect the AVR directly to the sub (as now), using the subs LFE. When you use 5.1 simply set the RCA switch to input 2 (Blank). Thus not affecting the bass management done by the AVR.

For stereo set the switch to input 1 to implement the sub. You don't need the AVR on for 2 channel. For movies set to input 2 (the blank input), which will implement only the LFE channel on the sub, while "disconnecting" the sub from the Marantz.

Hope this makes sense!

Here's a basic diagram showing the second option (with switch):

Screenshot_20210424-152536_Floor Plan Creator.jpg

Music (2ch) - set RCA switch to "Input 1" (Leave AVR switched off)

Movies (5.1) - set RCA switch to "Input 2 (blank)" This will mean LFE on sub is implemented - as the RCA switch is bypassed.

Last edited:
😂 I knew there was a diagram coming.

I do wonder about the effects of having both connected regardless of if they are switched on or not. Possibly some ground issues? Won’t know unless tested but always a bit weary unless it’s a purposely designed sub like REL for example. If testing this method I’d always start with volume way down and then see what happens on the way up. I’d only be listening for a buzz so if I didn’t get that I’d assume it may be okay but wouldn’t know for sure and don’t want to damage the equipment.

😂 I knew there was a diagram coming.

I do wonder about the effects of having both connected regardless of if they are switched on or not. Possibly some ground issues? Won’t know unless tested but always a bit weary unless it’s a purposely designed sub like REL for example. If testing this method I’d always start with volume way down and then see what happens on the way up. I’d only be listening for a buzz so if I didn’t get that I’d assume it may be okay but wouldn’t know for sure and don’t want to damage the equipment.
Always gotta have a diagram 🤣😉🙈...

Totally agree regarding the testing ,& volume levels being low to start with etc. The above connection method is specifically for the MA Silver subwoofer @markmc2k9 has (as it has completely seperate jack connections for stereo & LFE).

Most subs will not have this, the LFE input will double as the left or right stereo jack input (as is the case with SVS subs). In this instance you'd simply connect the 2nd input of the RCA switch to the AVR's "sub out" by single RCA - ensuring you use the matching coloured jack (red in SVS subs). So a single RCA from AVR "sub out" to the red jack on input 2 (RCA switch). Then make sure the red "output" jack of the switch goes to the red (LFE) sub input.

As long as you match the same coloured jacks throughout, you'll be fine.
sb-2000-pro_l_2-medium.png

Edit I know this is possible as SVS confirmed it would work in my setup! 😂😉👍🏼

@rc789 I see you have a PB3000. Is this the Pro version?

Last edited:
It’s the original 3000 as far as I know. Have they just released a pro?

It’s the original 3000 as far as I know. Have they just released a pro?
You'll know if it's the "Pro" as they have bluetooth, so you can control/configure the subs settings by an ap you download to your phone or tab. But ignore what I said, ive just checked and SVS haven't released a pro version of either the PB or SB 3000 (yet?) So you'll have the only version available! 😂😂🙈

Can still connect it as described for dual stereo & HT use though!

Okay cheers. May look into that

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom