New Home Theatre setup

zigarum

Standard Member
Hey. So I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks, and have the basement with very low light levels to use as a home theatre. I'm new to this so have been reading as much as possible to decide on the setup.

I want a setup mainly for movies/sports & PC/PS5 gaming.
Room dimensions are: 7.25m Length x 4m Width, ceiling height 2.35m

I was originally thinking of going with an Epson 3800/TW7100. I then looked at the TW9400, but now I think i'm set on the Epson LS500. Obviously these are all different price points so my budget is growing..... (Don't tell the wife :) )
I live in Switzerland and get get the LS500 for 2400CHF. The question I have is with the screen. I want a 120" screen, and have already taken into account the distance from the wall. I'll be getting an Ikea Besta x2. Will work out OK I think.
Do you think as the room is quite dark naturally, that I can use a white screen like the one here:

https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/produc...169-projector-screens-5816817?supplier=406802
It has a gain factor of 1.10
It's priced at 695CHF so not too bad compared to others.

In regards to an AVR, I was looking at the Denon X1600. I am definitely no audio techy, but over time I'm sure i'll add Atmos. I haven't looked at speakers yet, but a decent 5.1 with work with this I think. Curious on your thoughts.
Appreciate all your feedback and curious if you think the projector is good for what I need. Maybe it's even overkill, who knows.
Thanks again

gibbsy

I'm not into PJs so will not comment. The room size would be suited to a full 7.2.4 depending on your seating arrangements. A diagram of the proposed set up would be more than useful here. The Denon X1600 is a maximum of 5.1.2 with Atmos and not all that powerful for the size of the room and certainly with what speakers you will be going for. It would be OK for a basic 5.1 set up but a lot will depend on the speakers you choose. Have you any in mind?

zigarum

Standard Member
I'm not into PJs so will not comment. The room size would be suited to a full 7.2.4 depending on your seating arrangements. A diagram of the proposed set up would be more than useful here. The Denon X1600 is a maximum of 5.1.2 with Atmos and not all that powerful for the size of the room and certainly with what speakers you will be going for. It would be OK for a basic 5.1 set up but a lot will depend on the speakers you choose. Have you any in mind?
Hey, thanks for the response.

Not too sure on speakers just yet. I think 5.1 will be enough if I'm honest, and I don't think I need anything too loud. Seems like atmos is simply 5.1.2 with the 2 being ceiling mounted speakers. Still need to read up on it.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Hey. So I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks, and have the basement with very low light levels to use as a home theatre. I'm new to this so have been reading as much as possible to decide on the setup.

I want a setup mainly for movies/sports & PC/PS5 gaming.
Room dimensions are: 7.25m Length x 4m Width, ceiling height 2.35m

I was originally thinking of going with an Epson 3800/TW7100. I then looked at the TW9400, but now I think i'm set on the Epson LS500. Obviously these are all different price points so my budget is growing..... (Don't tell the wife :) )
I live in Switzerland and get get the LS500 for 2400CHF. The question I have is with the screen. I want a 120" screen, and have already taken into account the distance from the wall. I'll be getting an Ikea Besta x2. Will work out OK I think.
Do you think as the room is quite dark naturally, that I can use a white screen like the one here:

https://www.galaxus.ch/en/s1/produc...169-projector-screens-5816817?supplier=406802
It has a gain factor of 1.10
It's priced at 695CHF so not too bad compared to others.

In regards to an AVR, I was looking at the Denon X1600. I am definitely no audio techy, but over time I'm sure i'll add Atmos. I haven't looked at speakers yet, but a decent 5.1 with work with this I think. Curious on your thoughts.
Appreciate all your feedback and curious if you think the projector is good for what I need. Maybe it's even overkill, who knows.
Thanks again

There isnt big price difference with X1600H (2019) model and X2700H (2020) and if you happen to buy everything from same shop you get bundle/package deal! The latter has hdmi 2.1 support if you are gamer or just want more future proof.

What is your budget for 5.1 system? I will put few basic 5.1 systems below which is the level i hope you could afford for your new man cave! I think the price is per speaker. Speakers naturally doesn´t have to match to subwoofer so you can choose freely. Looking the options you have i would at least try to get the PB1000 Pro cause it`s kinda new budget king of subwoofers. You probably have also few listeners so it´s cheap enough that you can add second in future so you get more smoother bass response for all seats.

In US Klipsch is probably one of the most popular pick and especially the RP range. These models also available as walnut. What you see below is i have chosen larger front main speakers than surrounds (600 & 400). Klipsch also has wider RP-504C model in that shop if you need wider coverage and higher performance (650chf).

Then you will need two pairs of cheap speaker stands (60cm) which has decent size top plate vs. speaker width&depth. As i mentioned the price will be different when you buy them as a package!

If you were planning to buy floorstanding speakers as mains then the models / pricing would be:

zigarum

Standard Member
There isnt big price difference with X1600H (2019) model and X2700H (2020) and if you happen to buy everything from same shop you get bundle/package deal! The latter has hdmi 2.1 support if you are gamer or just want more future proof.

What is your budget for 5.1 system? I will put few basic 5.1 systems below which is the level i hope you could afford for your new man cave! I think the price is per speaker. Speakers naturally doesn´t have to match to subwoofer so you can choose freely. Looking the options you have i would at least try to get the PB1000 Pro cause it`s kinda new budget king of subwoofers. You probably have also few listeners so it´s cheap enough that you can add second in future so you get more smoother bass response for all seats.

In US Klipsch is probably one of the most popular pick and especially the RP range. These models also available as walnut. What you see below is i have chosen larger front main speakers than surrounds (600 & 400). Klipsch also has wider RP-504C model in that shop if you need wider coverage and higher performance (650chf).

Then you will need two pairs of cheap speaker stands (60cm) which has decent size top plate vs. speaker width&depth. As i mentioned the price will be different when you buy them as a package!

If you were planning to buy floorstanding speakers as mains then the models / pricing would be:

Mate thank you so much for such an in depth response, really appreciate it.

I think the x2700 definitely makes more sense in the long run. I will go to that store today and check out those speakers as it's only 25 mins from my place. Did you just find it online randomly?

Will let you know how I get on

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Mate thank you so much for such an in depth response, really appreciate it.

I think the x2700 definitely makes more sense in the long run. I will go to that store today and check out those speakers as it's only 25 mins from my place. Did you just find it online randomly?

Will let you know how I get on

Yes i searched SVS woofers in your country and that lead to me dealers that has good speakers aswell. Great to hear they near you. Give them demo and by all means look other brands aswell within your budget. Both of those models i posted are very popular in US for home theater usage so definitely option, but see what you like as people have different tastes. Keep us posted!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom