New home theater setup with many questions

apost8n8

Novice Member
My daily use TV is a 70in vizio (VIZIO P702ui-B3 70-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED HDTV (2014 Model). We typical watch cable (1080i), blu-ray, and mostly Netflix and amazon and chromecasted 1080p web content. I really like the vizio Netflix and amazon apps as they are fast, well integrated and sometimes even 4K!

I have a ~2006 Onkyo HTIB 7.2 receiver with onkyo front, center, woofer with ceiling mounted 10” round monoprice side and back speakers. We rarely (never) use this as my wife hates it. She complains that the “background” noise drowns out the voice tracts and I don’t really disagree. I’ve never been very happy with the surround sound either. We do regularly use the receiver B zone for music outside and use chromecast from our iphones through the tv and receiver so we can control the music from outside.

I’ve been itching for a receiver upgrade forever in hopes of massively improving the SS experience to a point where my wife might actually appreciate it and use hdmi switching to reduce clutter.

We’ve talked for awhile about how nice it would be to watch games/tv/movies outside from the hottub so I decided to get a projector for movies and games inside and occasionally outside.

I have just purchased an Optoma HD28DSE 1080p 3D DLP Home Theater Projectorand plan on pairing that with a motorized ceiling mounted screen ~150in diagonal.

I have quite a large room with many windows. I typically sit ~13ft from the screen but there are seats closer (L-section and loveseat arranged in a U). There’s room behind me for a stand and projector that’s ~14ft all the way back to ~22ft from where the screen will be.

I’m thinking I can use wireless HDMI out to my projector and use a new receiver to switch everything to the LCD or projector. That way I can move the projector outside and I was thinking of actually projecting on my hot tub cover. The cover is 84in wide and solid gray and nice and flat so assuming I can get the projector close enough without endangering it with water I think that can work.

I’m eyeing the Yamaha RX-V779 because it’s got 2 zone hdmi out, 7.2 and hdcp 2.2 compliant but it doesn’t have the atmos ive read about.

I’d love some input on the receiver, maybe speaker upgrades, and screen. FWIW My ceiling to the top of my entertainment cabinet is about 90in and available width is ~160in so that’s the limit for screen. I want the screen to come down in from of my LCD and retract to the ceiling.

Thoughts? Input would be appreciated!

Im thinking maybe
RX-A850 as it can do atmos 5.1.2 and i already have in speakers in that arrangment

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom