New home - satellite dish but no cable

Daos

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I moved into a new home and while there is a satellite dish I can't find a cable.
As a background: I have a Humax receiver and in the place I lived in before there was a satellite cable coming through the wall that I would just plug into the receiver and then tune the freesat channels.

In the property we just moved in: there are tv aerial cable coming out through walls in all bedrooms and kitchen except in the lounge and master bedroom where there are tv aerial sockets; there is a dish from which I can see multiple cables coming out and they appear to be running along different sides of the house; at the same time in the loft there is an amplifier ('8 way aerial amplifier integrated bypass') with cables coming out of it, plugged in and switched on.

So far I've tried the tv in the kitchen and it appears to be working fine with the aerial cable.

The problem I have is that in the lounge I would like to use the Humax receiver but there is no satellite cable. There is only an aerial socket. I can't understand where would the satellite cable from the dish run into the house and can't find one. Is it possible that there may be none and from the dish there are only aerial cables coming out? What options do I have if I would still like to use the Humax receiver? Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I would like to sort this out before the new year, but probably it's a bit late now....

There won't be aerial cables coming out of a dish!
It should be possible to trace how many satellite cables there are, where they enter t he house, and where they go from there.

I checked all cables in all rooms and couldn't find any satellite cable... it's very odd as it seems from the dish (a smallish one) there are at least 4 black and 2 white cables running around the house and entering it at different points but can only find aerial cables/sockets inside the house....

Can you take a photo of the dish and cables?

That was quick!
It does help so now where one goes in what comes out immediately on the opposite side?

It's a bit more complex than I initially thought... the cables from the dish appear to be running parallel to the ground along the side of the house between ground and first level. One of them appears to be going down to the conservatory where inside is a cable with an aerial end. The rest of the cables appear to get lost below the gutter at the front of the house and no idea where they're going from there.

At the same time, I think from the level of the loft where that amplifier is, there are a couple of cable coming out also on the side of the house and one of them enters the lounge where there is that aerial socket and a second one enters the dining room where there is an aerial cable.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep referring to an aerial cable but how do you define an aerial cable. Just in case you are not 100% certain, a cable from a terrestrial aerial usually has a Belling Lee plug like THIS at the end of it, or a back plate that one of those will fit into. A satellite dish LNB (the big thingy on the end of the boom that the cables come out of) cable usually has an F connector like THIS, on the end or a faceplate that one of those will fit.
It seems strange that you have 6 cables from your LNB (Two twins and two singles) and can't find the end of any of them.

Where did you get the idea of twin cables from?!

OP: Post #8.

Where did you get the idea of twin cables from?!

OP: Post #8.

The photograph appears to show two WF65 coax cables connected to the lnb. I reckon the previous owner used belling lee rather than f sockets to terminate. There has been no mention of an existing terrestrial aerial from the OP.

No, but he gets "TV fine with the aerial cable" and there's an "aerial amplifier" in the loft!
So, is there an aerial?

No, but he gets "TV fine with the aerial cable" and there's an "aerial amplifier" in the loft!
So, is there an aerial?

Box in loft may be a loft box and combining one of the lnb inputs with a terrestrial feed. Could do with a picture of this. Those 6 cables have to go somewhere.

Indeed we could! They do.

Way out theory (but possible). Previous owner had 3 Sky-HD boxes in the loft and distributed there output using the built in modulators using the existing box in the loft.

I’m getting confused by the various descriptions used to identify the cables to which the OP is referring.

Most terrestrial cables connected to a Freeview “aerial” (long thing with sticky out bits) will be fitted with “Belling Lee” type push/pull connection plugs whereas, “satellite dish” cables will normally have the threaded “screw on” type plug connections known as “F” plugs.

So what type of connection does the cable in the conservatory have?
What type of connections do the cables in the lounge and dining room have?

Surely it should be possible to find the ends of the white "shotgun" cable somewhere in the house?

I would start by removing the plate in the lounge to see what cables are behind it.

Vin Blanc

Look carefully at the photo.
I see four separate cables, and another white one that could be two.:)
I'm tending towards GLT's theory in #16.

I see one white "shotgun" (twin) and one black "shotgun" (twin) + a single black co-ax either side of the two "shotguns" making a total of six cables thus - O OO OO O

I also think that GLT could be on the right track. Perhaps Daos might oblige with some answers

Vin Blanc

Last edited:
Quite right.:rolleyes:
Against glt OP said his TV is working with the aerial cable.

I see one white "shotgun" (twin) and one black "shotgun" (twin) + a single black co-ax either side of the two "shotguns" making a total of six cables thus
Like wot I said in post #9

Quite right.:rolleyes:
Against glt OP said his TV is working with the aerial cable.

It would do so if my admittedly long shot theory was correct :)

If it is I hope to win the lottery next week :clap:

So far it seems to be the only explanation that at least fits the limited facts we have :(

It's not first post I have seen with a Sky box in the loft using the inbuilt modulator to distribute the signal despite it being a Sky HD box (and it was installed by a so called professional :eek:)

Last edited:
I took the original post to mean that he sees the Freeview channels, but everything is up for grabs now, and you could be in for that lottery win!

I wonder if the OP is going to come back to either solve the lottery problem or even clear up a couple of the points raised above?

Apologies for the delay in my reply, long day yesterday away from home, but today I managed to get some more pictures that I've linked below with more details before I'll run off the the New Year's party. This is all new for me so any advice to how to get the best out of this setup would be much appreciated (so far my experience is limited to using the Humax with a satellite cable). I very much appreciate all the enthusiasm and support showed so far, sorry if my explanations have not been clear enough (limited by my experience).

Img 1. Another view of the dish with the cable setup around it:
http://s28.postimg.org/aurjej8r1/PC310551_res.jpg
- the vertical cables appear to come out of the loft, one enters a bedroom and the others go low on the ground, one enters the dining room and one the living room.
- the vertical cable running down from the dish goes into the conservatory and there is indeed a satellite cable in there (the only one I could find, didn't have a chance to connect my Humax to it to test it yet); the horizontal cables (black and white) from the dish run on the side of the building and then enter underneath a gutter at the front (see Img 3) and no idea where they're going

Img 2. Side view
http://s7.postimg.org/fyxk4esbv/PC310548_res.jpg

Img 3. Where (some) of the cables from the dish enter underneath a gutter/roof. Looking back at Img 2 a couple cables from the dish appear to run down from that + crossing, but couldn't find any other sat cables except inside the conservatory.
http://s23.postimg.org/z1hsugdjv/PC310549_res.jpg

Img 4. The amplifier in the loft
http://s29.postimg.org/dfxfmp39z/PC210500_res.jpg

Img 5. These are the cables that I've found in bedrooms (are they safe to plug in directly in TV or will I need an adapter?)
http://s4.postimg.org/56fyt28h9/PC310552_res.jpg

Img 6. These are the sockets that I've found in living room, kitchen and conservatory
http://s8.postimg.org/uirrdfllx/PC310553_res.jpg

Img 7. This is the setup in conservatory with one socket and the only sat cable I could find so far
http://s23.postimg.org/rw3tx88m3/PC310550_res.jpg

I hope this will help clarifying a few things.

Happy New Year 2016 everyone!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom