1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Owner - seperates on a budget!?!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by craynerd, Aug 10, 2005.

1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi guys,

I`ve just secured my first house and i`m looking to buy a full stack system / homes cinema for both quality and looks. Its an appartment so it has to look the part, silver and a nice stand, but most importantly its gotta sound good BUT i`m on a budget. I really dont have the money to spend what i want, so my question is,:

Whats the best strack combination to buy for the money...?

My parents have a sony STR-DB940 amp then full mathching sony seperates with it, I think thats amaizing, but i can imagine its out of my budget,,,
    so any ideas?, dont ask for an exact budget becuase its more of a case of saving for whatever i want.!

Hope you can help
    Chris

2. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    visit your local Richer Sounds, they will be able to sort you out.

Looks wise - why not try the Cambridge Audio range, its looks completely different to the usual jap offerings

The little Denon sytems are good too

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hey Crane

Yep check out the Cambridge Audio Azur range from Richer Sounds if your starting out, then go for their 540 DVD-V/Audio player, £200. Then route this to the £200 640 amp. Nice bargain starter kit. Nice silver finish (copied from NADs Silverline range)

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/categories.php?CID=4

A few users on other forums I use use CA kit with £200 Castle Richmond 3s/Durhham 3s speakers & £200 Quad 11s – standmount speakers. If I were starting its what I would do.

£500-600 and a lovely starter stereo system, that will handle CD, DVD-V & DVD-A as a bonus. You will also have a system that’s upgradable in future ie adding a DAC to the DVD player, adding a subwfooer to the standmounts or replacing amp & speakers etc.

4. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys! great advice...!

I`ve only had a quick look (i`ll look more closely later tonight) but how many seperates is that then? Just the two, dvd/cd and amp ? what about the tuner, and is there a MD player that matches? Also, with regards to cabinets, where do u guys get your stereo cabinets from?

Chris

5. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can i just ask, what advantage would i get in buying the Azur 540R – 6.1 AV Home Cinema Receiver over the 640 amp cjross recommended??

6. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Budget?

5.1 or 2.0?

Start here...

7. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ahh i c, would the reciever be a lot more expensive.??

With regards to 5.1 or 2.0 ??? i`m just getting into this so you`ll have to help me out!!...whats the difference?

Chris

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    5.1 speakers - Front pair , Rear Pair, Centre & .1 channel low frequnecy effect LFE - subwoofer.

2.0 Stereo - pair of speakers.

Go stereo mate, better use of your money IMHO. You can still watch movies and listen from a stereo setup (thats what Ive done for years).

9. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    right cheers. Isn`t 5.1 more like a cinema sound? Is a 2.o sterio just 2 speakers then or do you still have multiple speakers?

Chris

10. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have a stereo setup + dvd player.

Now I would buy a 5.1 setup.

But would prefer a good 2.0 to a bad surround for sure!

11. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    since me and my girl watch a lot of tv and love watching a dvd most weeks, i think we would prefer 5.1 so we can listen in surround and get the full effect!

Rather than going for a cheaper full system (like the cambridge audio recommended above, say £800 on the system), would it be worth me waiting and spending all the £600-800 on a tv reciever amp and speakers. Plugging the tv, dvd and reciever together to get use out of the amp, then a few weeks later, get the cd player ect. The thing is, i dont wanna get anything on credit!

What tv reciever would you recommend and with what 5.1 speakers....i mean whats sort of cost am i looking at spending on something different....THEN a month or two later go and get the cd player to match, then eventually a tuner?

ohhhhhh there is way to much choice!!!!!!!!

OR lol, would u just wait, how much would i need to get a decent setup for music and dvd with 5.1 ?? AND another thing i`m getting a bit confused about, whats the difference between a home cinema and a hi-fi ?????? is it just the fact you plug the dvd and tv through the home cinema ?

Chris

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Tv receiver? I think you mean AV Receiver... (and the tuner radio is built in, so it's called a receiver)

You allready have a DVD player? Which one?

Maybe you can get something like a Marantz SR4500 or Denon AVR1905 and leave the rest for the speakers.