New home - new home theater

vato82

Novice Member
I'm in the final stages of buying a new home and will be starting from scratch regarding the home theater. All I have is a soundbar that will be sold or given away. The house has an open floorplan but I have a decent area to work with. I mocked up some speaker placements in the diagram below with a 7.2.4 setup. I don't have the subs in the diagram but they'll probably go beside the TV.

I'm open to suggestions but I'm looking at speakers from SVS and KEF. Both have really good reviews and I won't be able to "try before I buy". Budget is like $5k US - not including TV and AV receiver (probably going Denon).

Thoughts?

ht speaker placements.jpg

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'm in the final stages of buying a new home and will be starting from scratch regarding the home theater. All I have is a soundbar that will be sold or given away. The house has an open floorplan but I have a decent area to work with. I mocked up some speaker placements in the diagram below with a 7.2.4 setup. I don't have the subs in the diagram but they'll probably go beside the TV.

I'm open to suggestions but I'm looking at speakers from SVS and KEF. Both have really good reviews and I won't be able to "try before I buy". Budget is like $5k US - not including TV and AV receiver (probably going Denon).

Thoughts?

View attachment 1591563

From those two i would try the SVS Ultra Bookshelf + Centre front three at least if possible or full Primes if too expensive and/or if you want floorstander mains. Ultras should sound bit smoother and overall better, Primes can be quite bright to some tastes, but others will love that extra sparkle. You have 45days free shipping/return period so you can listen at home and then decide. You can also mix Ultras at front and Primes a surround sides/backs. If you have spare money you can also order both for front three and keep the winner - return loser as returning is free.

You can save little bit going with Monoprice subwoofers as SVS raised the prices few weeks ago. Also i would wait until Black Friday deals are revealed! There is new V2 models released and the "older" ones are likely to go on sale next month on BF day.

HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP is quite hard to beat for money and if you listen very loud this could be ideal to fill that space. It really depends how low Monoprice goes with the THX subwoofers on black friday so don`t rush. SVS might do some good deals too, but i doubt they can compete with these two brands.

As you going with 7.2.4 you can save going with Denon X3700H (or X4700H if you want Auro 3D) and add 2ch poweramp for the surrounds backs/2nd overhead pair. Example:

Or if you want well known brand product then this:

That room is very tricky to work with and you have hard time hiding the wires, no side walls other side. If you go with two subwoofers and place them close each other at front wall the 2nd sub likely not helping much other than giving you extra headroom. You could try the 2nd sub behind the couch if you going to have wires running there anyway. At least would help giving extra impact as that is quite large open space.

vato82

Novice Member
Awesome response, thank you!

You're right though - the room is a bit weird but I plan on having a rug covering the floor so I should be able to run cables under it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom