New home looking for TV/Speaker Layout Advice

Just got a new home (moving in shortly) and looking to lay out the TV/Speakers in the main living space. Some of the challenges from the space you will see in the images below. The wife has only approved the layout of the couch in the orientation shown (this is a hard negotiation haha). My questions are really around TV placement and soundbar/speaker placement based on that fact.

What I currently Have:
65" 4k TV (size as shown in the sketch below)
Sonos Arc
2 Play 1s

"General Room Layout" (New layout with my couch)
"Rough 3d Image" (Layout of room with intended TV location)
"Actual Image" (Look of the actual room, not my furniture or setup)

What I have pondered so far about TV location:
How the TV is currently placed in the room is really the only way I see a good viewing angle being accomplished while maintaining at most 14' from a seating position. To accomplish this I would look at doing an adjustable angle mount mounted from the brick wall. I really don't think it would be a good idea to mount the TV above the fireplace in this room for concerns of heat (its a very large gas fireplace with no mantle). Maybe someone has an opinion here that would advise that it may be ok to do that?

What I have pondered so far about speaker location:
I feel the soundbar needs to still be right at the TV location resulting in likely a combined mount for the TV/bar. Im not sure ive seen this with the Sonos Arc? And then the intention would be to place the Play 1s in the back corners of the room on stands. (all shown in the General room layout image).

What I'm looking for:
Advice on if you think there is a better solution (while not moving the couch) or if you think there needs to be adjustments to the soundbar/speaker layout or TV angle. Id also consider any input on new tech/gear or adjustments that might make the setup better in the space.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Attachments

• General Room Layout.JPG
    General Room Layout.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Rough 3d image.JPG
    Rough 3d image.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Actual Image.jpeg
    Actual Image.jpeg
    219.1 KB · Views: 57
Also looking for recommendations on a good TV mount for that location. And if there is a mount similar for the Sonos Arc sound bar that would position it at an angle?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I feel one of the reason why you haven't had any reply's is the really doesn't look very friendly for audio as its although a lovely room, for sound its very cold and could create a very tinny echoey sound

If you are going down the Sonos family, then you will be locked into their subwoofers to and you will need them. Even then it will not resolve these issues, but will help to a degree

For a TV mount you could look at Vogels NEXT 7555 which will lock you into an LG panel, but it has an area where a large soundbar can sit. I would send and email to Sonos for recommendation on wall mounts for the Sonos ARC as its quite a large product

Location wise, I cannot see where else you could place the TV without spoiling to room further

Hope this gives you a glimmer of an idea

I feel one of the reason why you haven't had any reply's is the really doesn't look very friendly for audio as its although a lovely room, for sound its very cold and could create a very tinny echoey sound

If you are going down the Sonos family, then you will be locked into their subwoofers to and you will need them. Even then it will not resolve these issues, but will help to a degree

For a TV mount you could look at Vogels NEXT 7555 which will lock you into an LG panel, but it has an area where a large soundbar can sit. I would send and email to Sonos for recommendation on wall mounts for the Sonos ARC as its quite a large product

Location wise, I cannot see where else you could place the TV without spoiling to room further

Hope this gives you a glimmer of an idea
Thanks Shane, really appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

I understand the room based on the constraints it has is not going to give an immersive experience. I'm really looking at accomplishing good speech intelligibility and ok sound in the room with having a decent viewing angle.

If I were to use the Sonos that I have currently in another space, would you see a better speaker setup for somewhere in the range of ~$1000?

I will also reach out to Sonos for recommendations on wall mounts, I didn't even think of doing that at first.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I think its a tough one in that room and ideally the best option would be for you to try and audition some. If in your area, home demonstrations are a thing, I would try that option to just so you fully appreciate what you are going to have in that room

Sadly the system will need something about it to fill the room as its not to small and as its going to be concentrated in a corner, again, you don't have much options.

I'm guessing the wireless option that the Sonos gives is what has drawn you to them. I would say, move to the Play 3's at the rear to give the soundbar a fighting chance and also add the sub/s

Most TV's should be able to accommodate the viewing angle you are going to use, so I don't really see that as a problem at all. Its the sound that's going to be the issue

Sounds good, ill definitely look into a demo once I move in, I wasn't aware that was a thing.

Wireless is definitely huge for the sonos, and the connectivity to play throughout or in different areas of the home, but I can always use the connect with another system.

Really appreciate your time getting back to me.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom