New Home Hub System

Simon D

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for some help.

I will be moving into a new house in July/August and I am looking installing a small Home Hub system.

The builder has a company that will supply and install a system for me. They have suggest the following setup:

BT Line - Run a Cat 6 cable from the data cabinet to a position at the front of the house where it will be connected to the BT line.

Virgin Media Supply – Run a single Coaxial shotgun cable from the cabinet to the front of the house next to the BT cable.

5 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 cables to be run from the data cabinet into the attic (CCTV)

Ground floor from Data cabinet to:

Lounge - 2 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Family/Breakfast -2 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Kitchen -1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Dining/Study - 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables

1st floor from Data cabinet to:

Bedroom 1 – 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Bedroom 2 – 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Bedroom 3 – 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Bedroom 4 – 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables
Bedroom 5 – 1 x Coaxial Shotgun cable & 2 x Cat6 Cables

The Builder will install:

TV Aerial points to Lounge, Family, Dining/Study and Bedroom 1
Telephone points to Lounge, Family, Dining/Study and Bedroom 1

I will get the Home Hub Company to install a TV Aerial and Satellite Dish with quad LNB at the same time.

The Company has suggested that add 4xHDBaseT Matrix system and use HDMI outputs to TV in Lounge, Family, Dining/Study and Bedroom 1 which will be an extra cost of £1500. Then I could use one sky box and a cleaner system in the rooms.

I do like the idea of the HDBaseT Matrix system but may need to add later due to cost. If I do will I need any more Cat6 or run in HDMI Cables?

I have the chance to add extra Coaxial or Cat6 cables to any rooms to be on the safe side.

Any advice would be welcome as I like to this right.

Thanks
Simon

Cant add a lot but a couple of questions!!

Why Shotgun cable to each room, if coax is only for Freeview run single Coax to save some cash!

Make sure you use good quality Coax for the Virgin supply, CT100 should be ok but don't use anything cheaper, you will get issues depending on distance!!

It for Sky as well.

I will ask the question about the Coaxial I would hope it is CT100

I always recommend running a few extra Cat6 cables as now is the best time to run them, and they will come in handy.

HDBaseT only requires one Cat6 cable but if you also have smart TVs these will need a cat6 cable for connection to the network/internet. So immediately you have used both cables.

If your only source is one Skybox and one Virgin Media then a 4x4 HDBaseT matrix may be over the top and limited that only 4 rooms could have HD quality.

Initially more expensive but a HDMI RF modulator would give you HD in all rooms via the Coax backbone, so you could have 2 x 9 system (2 sources x 9 HD Tvs)

HDMI HD RF Modulator - RackMount

Thanks, I will have a look at the HDMI RF modulator

I have asked him to increase the number of Cat6 cables to four for the Lounge, Family, Study and Bedroom 1 to be on the safe side.

I recently did some rewiring in my house.

I ended up adding a FM\DAB aerial as well so needed 6 single coax from my two aerials + Quad LNB and ran this into an Antiference Multiswitch (16 way - AMS716T - I think is the model, its in the loft) which combines the signals allowing you to run satellite\dab\tv over one lead.

Then you run two single coax to each room to a triplexer which gives you two Satellite, one DAB, one TV output in each room so you can hook up multiple Sky HD\TV in the house as required.

Alternatively have one or more Sky boxes in the data cabinet but then you need a distribution system such as HDBaseT or long HDMI cables and a remote control solution.

Thanks, I will look at add FM/DAB as a option to the system

Also meant to say that you can expand the multiswitch if you need more than 8 x Sky HD boxes :) And still only need 4 cables from dish

Thanks

How many folk are going to be using the system on a day to day basis, who will want/need there own HD source (how many paid subscriptions?) and how do you plan to control the system.

Instruct the builder to run conduit so you have empty cable ways for future updates.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom