1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Cinema System - HELP

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Ebay-Junkie, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Ebay-Junkie

Ebay-Junkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Due to the failure of my VCR I am considering replacing with DVD and cinema system.

I have a Toshiba Dolby Pro Surround Sound TV, 2 scarts and S-Video which is OK. I also subscribe to and use Sky Digital.

I like the look of the new Toshiba SD330E DVD and was considering the Toshiba V853UK to compliment, however it wont fit in my under TV case.

Due to space I am now looking at the LG DV-2000 which is a combined DVD/VCR and surround system.

My questions are thus:

- I am loosing serious quality by going combi?
    - Is the LG system OK?
    - Is it likely to be compatible with my TV, and if so what do I do about the TVs own surround system?
    - Is it necessary to get a seperate surround system with my TV having that facility and am I likely to see improvement?

thanks all

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,104
    Hi Ebay_Junkie

With regards to your surround sound question. You say your TV has only got Dolby Pro-logic surround sound.

The LG you quote has got DTS and Dolby Digital surround sound (according to some websites I looked at anyway). This will be far superior to the pro-logic sound.

Not sure how much you know about home cinema so tell me if I am just telling you what you already know!

Dolby Pro-Logic uses the five speakers with individual sounds coming from front l, front r and front centre and the same rear mono sound coming from the rears. With DTS or Dolby Digital you get 5.1 channels of sound. The .1 is for the subwoofer. You get individual sounds coming from each speaker. Also the quality is much better.

As to your question on losing quality with a combi system, it all depends on your budget. You will get a much better sound etc if you go the seperates option but then that will cost a lot more.

Hope this helps a bit and apologies if I have said stuff you already know.

Greg