New Home Cinema Setup - help appreciated

AmanM

Hi all! I'm new to AV setups but am in the process of refurbishing the house and we will be putting a decent large TV in the basement. The layout of the area is below - it's basically 5m x 6m space (ignore the red lines in the picture). Wood flooring but with a mighty big rug covering about half the space.

This is all under construction over the next 3 months so we can sort out wiring of speakers etc as part of this.

TV area.PNG

Uses: Mainly using SkyQ to watch TV, Films and Sports. We historically have used Apple TV to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime on our (old!) TV, but we are thinking a new 2019 Samsung TV that has Apple TV /Airplay and Netflix/Amazon built in. We don't play any games although our toddlers in future might fancy a console I suppose.

My wife does not care much for AV and wants the least intrusive arrangement possible in terms of speakers (though wants a big TV).

Also we just need this to be as simple as possible to use - ideally where as much as possible is done by the Sky remote - we'd avoid switching constantly between different remotes - basically this being as idiot-proof as possible would be very useful.

Currently thinking the following setup for this, which is basically based on a cursory look on Richer Sounds (for the TV) and a brief 10 min chat in a HiFi shop in London for the audio suggestions:

TV: Samsung QE82Q60R or QE82Q70R

AV Amp: Denon AVR-X2600H

Front centre speaker: B&W HTM6

Front side speakers: my 20 year old B&W DM601 S2, which are rarely used but in good nick - would be wall mounted shelf either side of TV.

Rear speakers: A pair of relatively high-positioned wall-mounted B&W M-1 Speakers

Sub - Rel T5i or Rel T7i

I am totally a novice in terms of the tech involved, am open to alternative suggestions by you all - any help is very much appreciated! Thanks.

Astonman1007

That's a good sized room to start with. I think the one thing I would do is to lay a decent underlay and carpet on the floor. The wood floor will not do the sound justice, even with a large rug.

If you can match all your speaker drive units with each other, the more streamline the sound will be around the room. The rears are a little too small, but a good place to start.

Your amp has more channels than your set-up plan. So you can utilise them too.

AmanM

Thanks @Astonman1007 for your post and the point around wood flooring.

Unfortunately (from a sound perspective) the wood flooring (with water underfloor heating) is non-negotiable with my wife.

The rug would cover much of the floor - probably 3m x 4m so would cover a lot of the area. I don't know if I could put some underlay underneath the rug due to the underfloor heating but could look into that. Plus on one of the side walls we will have a heavy floor-to-ceiling curtain that would cover that wall entirely when drawn. Would this help manage the acoustics?

If not, and if the sound is going to be really detrimentally impacted by the flooring (even with a large rug), I wonder if should just consider scrapping the whole 5.1 approach and perhaps just go for a big sound bar or just have stereo speakers by the TV?

gibbsy

A good rug will almost certainly help and you should place that close to the front speakers. There would be no need to put anything underneath it. A large curtain again is going to help, as will any soft furnishings in the room. You are still going to have the problems with a soundbar, at least with a surround sound and good receiver you will be able to employ the receiver's room correction system to help negate some of room's inherent problems. In this regard a Denon with Audyssey XT32 would be a good starting point. The best room correction comes with Dirac receivers but for those you will pay a premium.

I would pick the Denon X3500 over the X2600 because it has XT32 over the basic system onboard the X2600 and is now available at almost half it's original price.

AmanM

Thanks @gibbsy, that's really useful and really good to know. The rug will literally enclose the TV viewing area so sounds like it will be well positioned on that front.

I'll take a look at the 3500H, that's very helpful. Although, I was thinking - as I'm actually adding some ceiling speakers to another part of the house. While I'm at it, is it worth me adding some ceiling recessed speakers at the front corners of this house and possibly have Dolby Atmos surround? Or is that overkill? I guess I could do something similar for ceiling recessed speakers at the rear instead of the B&W M-1 speakers I was originally planning to install. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Astonman1007

I completely understand regarding the floor negotiations. Like gibbsy says, your rug will help, as with the curtains.

With the soundbar idea, there is no substitute for actual speakers strategically placed. Atmos is not overkill. Your room size can easily accommodate ceiling speakers as well.

gibbsy

I enjoy Atmos, it adds a bubble of sound and greatly expands the soundfield although my room is just capable of supporting 5.1.2. Take a look at this guide for Atmos placement.

AmanM

Thanks everyone for all the advice, it's very much appreciated for a novice like me.

I watched a few youtube videos / read a few articles on Atmos after you mentioned it @gibbsy09 , however I did have a follow-on question - the main use will be with a SkyQ box and a TV with Netflix/Amazon Prime streaming from the TV's own app. Indeed I won't have a Blu-ray player in the setup.

Looking through reviews, it looks like the Samsung TV I was looking at does not support Atmos on it's Netflix app. Considering this SkyQ/Netflix TV approach I was planning to take, what is the best way to ensure I don't mess this up? I could potentially get a Sony Bravia TV (it looks like recent models have Atmos support on their apps) or I could just get an Apple TV to use (since all my mobile devices are Apple) - although I had hoped to limit boxes / remotes / devices with this setup. Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts!

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom