• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

New Home Cinema Set Up Ideas?

Matravers

Standard Member
:hiya:OK, so i have just bought a new home and want to put a projector in the lounge.
The length of the room is about 5.5m and i currently have a 58" panasonic plasma and Bose Sound System.
What i want to achieve is a ceiling concealed projector, and a concealed projector screen also that will drop down in front of plasma screen for watching movies and sports. Because of the position of the speakers the screen will block them so will need an acoustically transparent screen i assume.

The problem i have is i do not really know too much about projectors, screens or mounts, my budget is between £5-6k ideally so would love your thoughts and advice on best set up possible.:lease:

Oh, also, what size screen would you recommend, though the room is 5.5m i imagine the main sofa will be more like 4-4.5 from the screen.

Big_Si_Owen

I looked at ceiling concealed projector drop mounts... I stopped looking when they appeared to be about £2k just for that! :( (for a drop mount to cope with the size / weight of my projector anyway...)

Matravers

Standard Member
They do seem to be quite expensive from what i have found, but i do not know which are good or not.
The remit for missus approval is, if she cannot see it i can have it!!

The dining / Pool table is awesome, and she is not amused :D but a deal is a deal.

Big_Si_Owen

That's an excellent deal! :D

Have you got approval for the supercar garage being built under the garden yet? :GRIN:

Can't help you on which is best, sorry, the price scared me off :GRIN:

For screens I've been recently looking at the Beamax M-series screens. They certainly do an in-ceiling electric screen. Worth a look!

binbag

As Si has pointed out, hiding the kit (especially without compromising its performance) will cost far more than the components that you will buy. It is one of the main reasons that people with serious money go for a custom installation.

Matravers

Standard Member
Yes, i see that the mounts are expensive, but, sadly a necessary evil, them aside though, what about the kit, projector wise and screen size??

Sadly cannot afford the supercar garage...or the supercar, i wish though, and again, a deal would be a deal :)

binbag

With a good smooth wall you don't need a screen and if hiding the PJ isn't practical than how about something like LG's picture frame PJ?

Matravers

Standard Member
The screen needs to come down over a plasma so cannot project on the wall and the LG actually looks quite nice, but, am still going to have to conceal in the ceiling.

I have found a nice ceiling mount now for about a grand, which is not the end of the world, just need you guys to help me spec the projector itself and the screen....any help or guidance will be very much appreciated.
:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom