1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Cinema Room Conversion starts next week....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by jmbrailsford, Sep 24, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi,
    well at last after months of waiting and planning permission delays, the garage conversion finally starts next week, hopefully tuesday. :thumbsup:

The building and electrical work is being carried out by a local guy and someone from my work who is giving him a hand.

I will add more photos as the work progresses.

The first 4 pics are just of the house and garage as is.........

[​IMG]

The garage door will be bricked up and a window added matching the style of the one in the dining room and we will be knocking through from the Living Room which the garage backs onto making one 'L' shaped room with the home cinema going into the former garage area.

[​IMG]

This one shows the Living Room as it is just now, the wall will be removed from just short of the corner ( wooden lintel will need something to sit on ) up to about where the edge of the right hand chair is approx opening width will be 2.4m.

[​IMG]

Inside the garage obviously, it's a lot tidier now than it was 2 months ago when I manage to fill a large skip with all the junk that was in it. Most if not all of what's in it just now will be going in the new shed that's been ordered.

Boiler is to be moved back in to the house in the old hot water cylinder cupboard, mains electric remains here but will be seated within the wall with a small hatch for access.

The floor of the garage/cinema room with be stepped down from the Living Room as it is approx 45cm higher, this will allow the 2 seater settee that we have bought to be placed on the lower floor level allowing the 2 electric recliners to be placed on the upper level. These will be able to swivel round so you can 'sit' in the living room and then for movies spin them round to view the screen.

You can just make out the new 2 seater sette still wrapped and to the left of the pram.

The screen will be fitted within the ceiling just above where the new window is going.

Ok folks that's it for just now, more pics posted next week as work begins.

Thanks for looking, Mike.

2. xavier71

xavier71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    good look jm

3. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Keep us updated Mike.

Johnny.

4. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,203
    i really like thew way you have extended the current living room into the Garage, a lot of people have tune just the garage to the home cinema room, but i prefer the way you have done it, you get maximum use out of the room when your not watchign a movie! best of luck!

5. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Nice idea there JM.......
    But are you sure about doing away with the garage as it was, one of the best selling points with houses is a garage, would it not be better to convert the garage keeping the garage door insitu and building a breeze block wall behind it, then stud wall the inside of the garage running all your cables first before plasterboarding and have a door from the house into the garage. That way if you ever move you can simply convert it back into a garage.
    Regards.
    John

6. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi,
    we have never used the garage for the cars that we have owned over the 9 years we have lived here, why?

'Cos they didn't build em big enough to fit a family car in, ok you could park the car inside, but then couldn't get out of it.:mad:

I believe the same firm were sued by owners of similar properties in England and they all received compensation as the garage was not suitable for a car and therefore they were mis-sold the properties.

So rather than just use it as a shed for junk, it has been decided to make more use of it and do the home cinema. When I get time I will add a pic of our street to show just how many other people put their car in the garage.

I know I would rather have a 5 bedroom house with lounge and dining room/cinema room than a 4 bedroom house with dining room and garage that's too small for a car, so hopefully we are adding value to the property this way, we also have a drive that's just about big enough to take 2 cars anyway.

Thanks for all the replies, I will keep this thread updated as often as I can, which will be probably every day.

:smashin:

7. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Fair comment JM, don't forget to take plenty pictures during the build :)

8. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    :thumbsup: Garage just about emptied in preparation for tomorrow's arrival of the builders, having only just stopped work on it at about 22:45 I decided to knock off for the night. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

The wall at the the back with the pipes running up it backs onto Living Room and is being removed, heating pipes being re-routed into the toilet which is situated behind the left hand wall in the far corner.

Boiler being shifted into kitchen on saturday.

[​IMG]

The garage door is being replaced with a new window, the Electric Projector screen ( 92" - 234cm viewable ) is being fitted into the new ceiling just above the blocks that you can see above the existing door.

:)

9. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Work has now begun, foundation under garage door had been removed and new one being laid for the new brickwork and window.

[​IMG]

It took them a lot longer than anticipated as it wasn't filled with soil under the concrete lintel, it was filled with sand and cement mixture, and it took then some digging/drilling to remove it all.

Then the concrete floor of the garage was treated with Treetol 2000 to help with damp proofing.

[​IMG]

No more work now until Friday to allow the Treetol to dry, then on Friday a 'Fused Spur' will be put into the cupboard upstairs for the repositioning of the Boiler, which will be moved to it's new position on Saturday.

I have been busy spending some cash on a few AV items last couple of days as I will need to make sure that I have all the necessary cables here for putting in place before the plaster board is put up, boy it's great spending money isn't it !!

List of buys so far :

Panasonic AE700 Projector
    OPPO OPDV971H DVD Player
    Ellie Advantage 92" Electric Screen and 12v relay
    Lindy 10m DVI Cable
    S-VHS cable 10m
    Chord Carnival Silver Plus Speaker cable 25m

Ok that's it for todays update, nothing more until Saturday now, I will be playing with my new toys next couple of days to make sure everything working ok before installation.

10. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Is that you in the picture on yer knees JM? if so, get some knee pads mate LOL :)
    How wide is the garage? it looks very narrow. Keep the pics coming.

11. moggsy

moggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    It'll be great to see everything taking shape Mike :thumbsup:

I agree with you totally on the integral garage thing....no one uses them in our street as actual garages - just junk rooms!

Ours was already converted into an office-type room by the previous owner and it was in fact one of the things we liked about the house when looking to buy - as you say, it adds another room to the house, you can easily buy a shed for the junk etc that usually goes in them!

How much has all that kit cost you so far?? Looks like yours will be the place to be to watch next years' HDTV broadcast World Cup with a coupla trays of tinnies :D

12. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi John,
    yip it is narrower than I would have liked but beggars can't be choosers, once finished it will be 2.2m wide and about 4.75m long ( now you know the reason behind not getting the car in !! )

The first of the seating will be about 3.5m from the screen so should be about right, the second area of seating will be approx 30cm above the first ones so you will be able to see over seats in front and about another 1.3m further back if that makes sense.

No that's not me on my knees, that's my mate ( who has plenty of his own padding ) from work who works part time with the builder, I'm only self employed and by that I mean keeping an 'eye' on them and boiling the kettle etc etc .........

My wife has agreed that we need a new flat screen TV to allow the projector screen to drop in front of it as we currently have a 32" CRT which is too deep. So more money to be spent yet on AV stuff.

The speaker cable arrived this morning, I went for 25m of Chord Carnival Silver plus at £4.90 per metre. Projector screen arrived safely as well from Screens UK, very fast and safe delivery by TNT as it only came into stock yersterday, looks very nice case although it will be hidden in a recess in the ceiling so looks not important, but it does look like a nice piece of kit. The screen will take up the whole of the width of the room ( case is 2.2m so be snug fit ).

:D

PS: will add pics of the Screen case etc later if I get a chance.

13. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    If I remember right the showhouse had the garage made into a Sales Office for the site when we first came to buy.

Total cost of kit so far is :

PANASONIC AE700 £665
    ELLIE SCREEN £516
    CHORD CABLE £122
    DVI CABLE £ 40
    OPPO DVD PLAYER £171

Other kit to be used but bought over the last few years will be Marantz SR5200 DD/DTS receiver, SKY+ 160gb ( did hard drive upgrade myself ), Panasonic E55 DVD Recorder, Marantz CD52SE cd Player.

New 5.1 Speakers and Subwoofer to be decided yet, but have been eyeing up the B & W MT30 set up with the PV1 Sub.

Plus the cost of the building work of course, but I'll keep that to myself until finished.

14. moggsy

moggsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wouldn't mind be a quid behind you in the bank :eek: ....before all your spending that is :D :D

15. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Morning JM
    PANASONIC AE700 £665 , WOW thats a bargain ! :)
    You said you used Treetol 2000 can you elaborate please ie-where from and how much and why.

Regarding a component cable you will not go wrong here,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104551&highlight=Mark+Grant

I bought one from Mark and when it came I thought he had sent me a hosepipe :):):) LOL.
    Keep us updated Mike.

16. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi John,

the Treetol 2000 was a recommendation in the plans, it is used to seal the existing concrete floor from damp, I suppose it's basically a damp proof course in a tin and is just painted on as seen in the photo above, as to cost etc I'm not sure, all the materials for the build are included in the Builder's quote.

Then the floor timbers go in above that and then the insulation will be laid as well.

Plumbing materials for the boiler repositioning arrived yesterday, total cost £371.01, this is for all the necessary piping, flue system for the boiler as it will be vented through the roof, fittings etc etc.

My brother in law is doing the plumbing work, for a very decent price I might add :smashin:

The Panasonic AE700 was bought via the classifieds on these forums and arrived today, it is working great and although not the Projector I had originally aimed for I couldn't resist it at the price. Unfortunately the OPPO dvd player is being returned for replacement as it appears to be faulty, should have new one by monday for testing on the AE700, this will let me decide whether it's to be DVI or Component connection between the two.

Component via my Panasonic E55 recorder didn't look too hot this morning, but was more than watchable, and I have yet to calibrate the projector away from the default settings so that might help.

I did say earlier that I would post some pics of the screen, but not installed yet so in the meantime here is a link to where I got it from :

Ellie Advantage 200 Electric Screen

Builders will be back on Monday to strap out the walls for the plasterboard and fit conduit for the cabling. New window is arriving on Wednesday and will be loosely fitted so that they can keep the room weather proof whilst they remove the Living Room wall, this will also allow them to remove the window to empty out all the rubble to the front of the house.

Ok that's it for now, driving myself daft now hunting for an LCD TV to replace the CRT, boy the internet is great for window shopping, but jeez you lose a day without even noticing !!

Ta for the Mark Grant link, will have a serious think next week to finalise the cabling required.

See ya,

Mike.

17. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Cheers Mike. A long way to go then yet, have you got a finishing date in mind

18. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi John,

fingers crossed for the end of next week ( 13th ) as both the builder and my mate are away to Florida, spending my hard earned cash no doubt ;) although any delays will make completion a lot later as they are away for a fortnight.

Progress Report -

The boiler has now been moved upstairs and the main floor has been laid - total cost of materials for the boiler move has risen to £495.00 as we needed some extra flue extension and bends to allow the flue to vent through the roof away from the ridge, original order of materials was £370.01:

[​IMG]

The ceiling has been strapped out in preparation for the plasterboard ceiling using 100mm x 50mm batons:

[​IMG]

Graham is about to remove the mains board and move it up nearer the ceiling to leave the side wall with nothing on it and maximise the width of the room :

[​IMG]

The Mains board has been moved and will be boxed in and will have hatch over it for access to the circuit breakers :

[​IMG]

Now that they have moved the boiler and mains board the wall strapping is going up using 50mm x 50mm batons, the plasterboard will be attached to this.

On the other wall I have begun to put up a double run of 40mm waste pipe for cable runs which will exit just above the ceiling mount for the projector, I am using the wall away from the mains board so as to make sure the video cables are well away from most of the electrics.

Later today, the wall strapping will be complete and I will finish off the cable runs tomorrow as I am nightshift tonight and I think the window will be put in today as well ( it will be loosely fitted so they can remove it throw the rubble from the Living Room wall out into the skip ).

More pics and updates tomorrow or Friday I hope !

19. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Keep em coming Mike ( the updates ) it's looking good mate :)

20. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Further progress has been made since my last post, most of the cables have been put in, the electrics have been run and we have also had the screen up to site it and test it.

Graham is busy with the electrics, in this pic he is running the cabling for the dimmer switches to control the lighting, the lighting will be split - 3 downlighters on the room side of the screen and a further 3 down each side of the main area. We will be able to dim the front 3 independently from the 6 in the room.

[​IMG]

Paul, the builder has suggested that we install uplighters in the floor on the top step into the room ( Graham just 'glowered' at him LOL ), this I think would make a nice feature and Graham suggests making them dim along with the 3 downlighters at the front.

This next pic just shows some of the plasterboarding at the window end of the room, the small area of wood that can be seen top right near the speaker cable is where the Projector Screen will sit, once installed you will only see the bottom 1/2 - 3/4" of the screen casing.

[​IMG]

With the wall between the Garage and Living Room only being 2 layer of Thermal Block is is easily cut using only general purpose hand saws, makes the job nice and easy and cuts down on a lot of mess as no power tools are needed.

These next two pics show the wall virtually down ( apologies for no earlier pic as Graham forgot about the camera being left for them whilst we were away for the weekend ). You can also see the Acro props holding up the floor above as the wall being removed is the main support wall for upstairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here Paul is just finishing off the edging.

[​IMG]

They are back on Monday to finish off the electric cable runs, add more speaker cable ( I'm cabling for 6.1 set up and I never ordered enough so not here until monday ).

The window will go in and hopefully the floor level matched in the Living Room with the new step in the garage, the pressure is on to get completed within 3 days as they are both away to Florida at the weekend.

See ya..........

:thumbsup:

21. Dai B

Dai B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking good.

Looking forward to the next installment and seeing the finished room.

22. Dai B

Dai B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike,

Just a quick question. The photo showed the speaker cable coming straight out of the wall, which I assume will remain that way once the wall has been plastered etc.. as it will be hidden behind a speaker. However, for all of the speaker cables entering the wall from your amp (+ any other cables for that matter), what are you planning to do (if anything) to make it all look neat and tidy?

Cheers,

Dave

23. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Dai,
    haven't really made any plans to hide the cables as such, although I have the video cables exiting via 40mm waste pipe hidden in the wall, this was mainly to ensure that I could at any time replace or add cables as required. I was thinking of having a unit made to go right across the width of the room as an AV unit, as will need to have space for quite a few pieces of AV gear, although this might change.........

Video cables in this pic :

[​IMG]

The speaker cable just exit the wall via a hole made in the plasterboard and the plasterer will just finish the hole off with a neat edge - I DON'T intend to change the speaker cable at any time as I needed 46m of cable at a cost of £225.40 ( Chord Carnival Plus ).

Speaker cable here :

[​IMG]

The video cables in the ceiling :

[​IMG]

The room from the Living Room end showing the new window :

[​IMG]

Pipes on the right hand side for the new radiator that will be needed, box showing top left is the fuse box and will have a small hatch made for it for easy access if required.

Unfortunately no more work to be done for 2 weeks as both my mate and the Builder are away to Florida :( however this will allow us to use this room as a furniture store as the rest of the house is being decorated starting with the outside later today and then the upstairs bedrooms on Monday.

Went out and bought the speaker setup yesterday from Sevenoaks in Edinburgh, I went for the B & W MT30 with the PV-1 Subwoofer in black, they threw in an extra satellite speaker for free saving me £125.00, this will allow me to go 6.1 ( rear centre cable already installed in ceiling ).

Still undecided on an LCD or Plasma screen, although I do like the look of the new Pioneer PD436FDE ( £2495 inc 5 Yr Guarantee from John Lewis ), although this is pushing my original TV budget over my £2000 limit but I just can't find anything else with that pic quality and looks, I couldn't believe it yesterday when I saw the Pioneer next to the Panasonic 37PV500, the Panny was actually 2 inches taller on its pedestal than the 43" Pioneer. This is a major consideration as I obviously want a decent screen size as we will be viewing up to 4 - 5m away and don't want anything that encroaches too much on the window.

Ok that's all for now, might have more pics once the plasterer has been, although not sure when he will appear as the builder was trying to get hold of him last night.

:cool:

24. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Looks really good :thumbsup: and to think what it was like before.
    Before plastering i would cover your video wires with a bag as they could get plaster in them, mine did but fortunately they were okay.

25. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Inzaman,
    excellent tip, never thought of that, thanks, will get right on that later today if I have time.

26. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Folks,
    not much to report this week :( plasterer is due next week to tape and skim the new plasterboard.

Graham and Paul no doubt having a great time in Florida ( mind you see a Hurricane heading their way :eek: ).

The B & W PV1 sub is superb and all my doubts about going for it have been dispelled, can't say my wife too enamoured she still thinks it's too big even though it only stands about 30cm high, women eh!

Still shopping around for a 37 - 42" LCD or plasma and really like the look of the Pioneer 436XDE but a bit over my budget at £2500, we will see, once I make my mind up about something I tend to go for it. ;)

See ya,

MIke.

27. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi Folks,
    not much been happening with the conversion since my last post, Paul and Graham survived Hurricane Wilma and have been back to finish off a couple of things.

In the meantime we've been having the whole house decorated from top to bottom and outside too. So you can imagine the upheaval as the painter was doing 2 - 3 rooms at a time and we had to move furniture from room to room to stay ahead of him.

It's as well the Cinema Room wasn't finished as we had to use it as a storage area for all our stuff during the decoration.

The Plasterer has been in, taped and skimmed the new room, he's back tomorrow to sand it all down, dust galore no doubt ! He will set up a dust sheet over the opening into the living room to cut out as much of the mess as possible.

I have sold off my Oppo DVD player and bought a S/H Denon 2910 instead ( both deals done via these forums ), as I just wasn't satisfied with the Oppo picture quality, ok I might have been hasty, time will tell.

Ok that's about it for now more pics later this week once Plasterer is done, all that's left now is lighting to be done, flooring to be laid and brickwork below window to be done so completion not far off now. :D

28. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for the update JM

29. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mike

Where did you get that damp proof paint from - and is it any good? I think I'd also like to do that before carpeting.....

Just had my room skimmed today - not long to go now..........

Cheers

Si

30. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I didn't, the builder brought it with him for the job, it was specified in the plans for the conversion.

I am sure he just picked it up at the local Builders merchants I thinks it's fairly run of the mill stuff for sealing concrete.

:thumbsup: