1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Cinema Choice out today

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by richard plumb, Sep 30, 2005.

1. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    More reviews, this time slightly more up to date

the new LG, the panny 500 32" LCD, the JVC 37DS6 (finally!) and the philips 37" 5520

Much more in depth reviews, testing different inputs and commenting on noise, response, contrast etc. Much better IMO than the what hifi ones.

They really liked the JVC and the panny got a 'best buy'.

check it out, some relatively thorough reviews.

2. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cheers for the heads up - i am interested in the 37 inch JVC so it will be interesting to read the review to compare with my own opinions....
    ... only problem I have with this TV is the brand... IMHO JVC was always a bit of a budget brand...

3. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    well Sharp were always one of the top LCD brands, then they went all budget on us...

And look at samsung.

I'm pretty certain the JVC is my set now. Not from just believing the review, but from it not raising any undue concerns.

Just need to figure out how to wire it up ready for Xbox and Xbox 360 and sky and DVD blah blah :p

4. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have looked at the 37 inch JVC and the 40inch Samsung and was pretty impressed with both (HD promo feed admitedly) - (I did have an order placed for the Sony KDLV32A - but cancelled it as I decided to up screen size) I have also heard promising things about the 37 inch Tosh WLT58 - anyway these are the three I have narrowed it down too...

Xbox 360 is one of the reasons for the purchase of a HD LCD, plus the current CRT is on its way out.

Anyway I am off to do a bit more in the flesh testing this w/e (cribbs causeway in Bristol has JL, Curry's and Comet) so hopefuly should be making a final decision.

I am confident whichever one I choose will be a good set - just glad I have manged to get it down to three models!

5. guypb

guypb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also live in Bristol - let me know how you get on? I am interested in 37"+ - but yet to be impressed with in store feeds.

6. Dune

Dune

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I am interested in the JVC as well. Seems to tick all the boxes.

Tried to "add one to basket" at Currys and get the usual "out of stock" reply.

I tried this at two differet post codes for adresses over 40 miles apart (mine and my parents) and no stock for either.

I can get a 10% cashback with my credit card which makes Currys cheaper than anywhere but it seems no matter what set I "add to basket" they never have any stock. I have tried Samsung and Panasonic sets as well just to see what happens and they always say the same thing.

There is a huge Currys super store near where I live so I find this out out of stock response suspicious.

Dave

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    try instore. If they smell that you are interested, they may price match the website.

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Did anyone notice in the two page review of the 32LX500 that every picture was of the 32lx50 instead?

You have to question the quality and knowledge of everyone involved when something like that slips through.

I remember reading a review of a CRT i was interested in What Video & TV last year and they were saying how great it was and the picture through component was outstanding. Only problem is the TV in question didn't have component in.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The bottom line with all the reviews is this - everyone want reassurance that what they have bought, or what they are thinking of buying is the right choice i.e. that they are not going to or have not bought a duffer. No one can give you that reassurance, at the end of the day you just have to purchase what suits you and what you like. I can remember many years ago all the positive reviews of the MK1 VW Golf. Best thing since sliced bread was everyones verdict. The only problem was, for me at least, that I found the car to be very dull and uninspiring - my opinion. It doesn't matter if it's the best product in the world, you are the one that's going to have to live with it, and if you don't like it then what is the point?

10. tugboatbill

tugboatbill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I did a fair bit of CD reviewing in the eighties and I got to keep all the review product and on reflection the freebies DID influence my reviews even though I tried to be objective at all times.

The thing about all magazines is that no matter how they dress it up in their editorial they depend on 2 things for their survival - readers and advertisers and you will notice that there more often than not adverts from the featured review products in the same issue.

If you were the publishers of a magazine with a huge revenue stream from advertising would you allow that revenue to be compromised by negative reviews of one of your advertisers products? Business is business. That is not to say that you will never get an unbiased and unabridged review of anything, of course you will, it's just that sometimes other factors come into play that the reader is never made aware of.

That is why forums like this are flourishing, where you get a viewpoint from the potential and end users, the people who actually BUY the products, but even then one can easilly get into the "me too sheep mentality". So what if you like the look of an LG or something that is not flavour of the month, let your eyes and ears decide for yourself. Personally I have seen a 37" LG LCD and a Samsung 40" that blew away the Panasonic PV500 Plasma and most other sets sitting next to them - but that would be considered heresy by many on the AVForums.

I long gave up buying magazines to read reviews about models which I had already been reading about months ago online and instead rely more on the informed postings on sites like this.

Sorry if I have digressed a little and thank you to all contributors. Now all I have to do is get to see the 37" JVC, Tosh and Hitachi before I make my choice.

11. Northerner76

Northerner76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Unfortunately I didn't get to see the 37 inch JVC or the Tosh 37WLT58 - they only had their smaller 32 inch siblings (and in the tosh's case it was the WL56)... anyway bearing in mind the limitations of viewing sets in stores like Curry's,Comet & John Lewis I have to say I was impressed with the JVC, both from a build and an image perspective (esp when fed an upscaled image - from Sammie HD850) - the Tosh inspired me less... mainly because of its aesthetics - looks like a PC monitor IMHO.

I appreciate that viewing the 32 inch versions in this type of environment is not going to give me much so I am hoping to go to a smaller independent store to do further indepth viewing on these 37's and hopefully the new Sammie LE40M61 - I am not going to rush into this purchase.

12. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Very dissapointed to see they omitted the Samsung 32" - maybe the opposition asked them not to !!! :thumbsup: ...still feel it's by far the best VFM 32" LCD.

13. Barzo

Barzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    They reviewed the Samsung 32" last month and it was the test winner, with Tosh 32L56 coming in a close second. From memory, other screens in the test included a Philips, a Panny and something else. If you look in the new issue at the recommends in the back, you will see the Samsung is one of their top 5 recommended LCD TVs.

14. philotech

philotech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since apparently no one else is interested in it: What LG did they review and how well did it do?
    I'm particularily interested in the 32LP1DA model with DVB-T digital terrestric tuner.
    I don't have access to Home Cinema Choice here in Germany and the online version lags terribly in time (I know they want to sell the paper of course).
    Philotech