1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Cinema build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Dom Rice, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im currently building a home cinema / summer house extension(later being the birds idea)

The rectangular room is to extend from our existing sitting room. the dimensions are 25ft * 16 ft so its going to be nice and large.

I have all the av gear (apart from plasma etc) to fill said room with the latest sound formats and construction of the room is just underway. Foundations are down and the footings have just started.

The floor is to be a concrete beam and block suspended one.

My first question is, how do I conceal all the cables? The tv is to be hung on the long wall but the screen is to be lowered from the ceiling.

My other question is How do i set up the speakers to accomodate two different listening positions?

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hiding the cables is quite an easy job, do as you will have done fro your mains supplies and get them plastered into the walls or floor, or ceiling come to that.

With speaker cables make sure you put pretty good cable in for when you upgrade your speakers, otherwsie you'll be kicking your self that your cables are below what your speakers can do.

Are you sure you really want to lower a PDP from the ceiling? I've not seen this done before, and I can't imagine a lift/lower device is going to be cheap.

What equipment do you have and which PDP are you looking at? (some need propriatory connection leads).

Good luck.

3. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice,

I have got quite good cable to all my speakers (£5 per metre.) So this should be OK.

I meant having a screen that will be hidden behind a ceiling beam that can be lowered automatically (i.e motorised) then having a projector that is hidden somewhere (maybe in a coffee table).

My current av gear is as follows:

Mission 77c1 Centre
    Mission 775's Front speakers
    Mission 773's Rear Speakers
    Mission M52 Rear Centre's
    Marantz reference cd player
    Pioneer 530 dvd player (to be upgraded soon)
    REL Q400 Sub
    Denon AVC-A11SR av AMP

The Plasma I am looking at getting is the 42 inch silver Panasonic.
    As for the screen I have no idea at the moment.

Any suggestions?

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    All sounds pretty good.

Look at the Arcam fMj DV27 when you upgrade your DVD.

If you are having a motorised screen from the ceiling then it would probably work best having the projector on the ceiling also. Most projectors work at their optimum when they are just inside the top or bottom of the screen, so a floor mouted projector would work best with a screen with a long drop. The main reason for this is so you have to use minimal keystone correction.

For cabling your projector look at some Van Damme 5/4 core mini co-ax (Can be bought direct or from someone like Roland @ B4 procjection.) It is also worth running a cat 5 cable to the projection point for use with triggers and/or RS232 signalling.

5. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for a fixed screen if you can, check out the new velvet screens from owl,very nice indeed. Dont go for a cheap screen, after all you wouldnt put cheap tyres on a racing car

6. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice, I'll go for the best I can afford.

Cheers.