New Home - Can't watch TV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by timculverhouse, Jun 10, 2005.

1. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I'm having a bit of a problem with watching TV at the moment. I've kept it as clear and concise as possible, but if I've not given enough information then let me know.

• Moved into new house in May
    • Two aeriel leads coming in from outside - one from Satellite dish other from roof aeriel
    • Tried them both in our Sony TV - no picture/no sound/nothing
    • Purchased a sky digibox for £150 which was installed for us and now everything's working
    • HOWEVER............
    • How can I watch television in the other rooms without buying more digiboxes?
    • All rooms have TV aeriel points in them but if I connect a lead via TV to this panel - nothing happens.

Any help very very gratefully received - wife wants to watch Big Brother - I want to watch something else - we need another TV working!!!!

Many thanks

Tim :thumbsup:

2. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It may be the case that your roof aerial isn't actually connected to the socket near your TV. I know someone who reconfigured things so that he could put the sky RF output into what used to be his aerial socket, and then watch sky in the other rooms of his house. He wasn't bothered about terrestrial TV, so didn't feel he was missing anything. If you've got this then you could send your Sky signal around, but anything else will need you to work out how it's been reconnected, and probably scramble around in the loft to set it back to normal.

If you've got multiple sockets around the house, the other option might be a broken TV distribution amp. This would probably be in the loft, and will have the aerial feeding into one side, with the other giving outputs to each room. If it's broken, blown a fuse, been switched off etc. then you might get no output.

Hope that helps.

Rowland.

3. timculverhouse

timculverhouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the information. I'm so confused by it all I think it's just going to be a case of getting someone to look at it for me, it may cost I suppose but at least it gets the job done. I want to understand but like most of these things never really do!!

Cheers
    Tim

4. derbyjj

derbyjj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    if its like my house then the cables from the sockets in th eroomms will be lying loose in the loft. The sat dish is obviously connected. so you have a few options
    1 send the sky picture to any room by connecting the rfout2 to the other aerial socket and get in the loft and joins the cables together.
    2 same as 1 but get a dist amp and put it in the loft and connect the rooms to it
    3 same as 2 but get a new terrestial aerial inastalled with a cable through the wall the to the sky box that way you hanve normal tele and sky in every room

5. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Have a look at this,

It might help you look at what you have and see what is missing or not connected.

Chris

Attached Files:

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think maybe this is all a little too ambitious for you. Basically you want to be able to plug TVs into the aerial sockets and watch TV. Routing the sky signal around the house is a much more complicated procedure.

Like derbyjj says, have a look for the cables that are linked to the sockets on the wall, they'll be in the loft or a cupboard or somewhere. Chances are that someone had a booster or a distributor somewhere and took it with them when they moved.

Most likely one of these loose cables will be connected to the aerial, the others will be connected to the sockets, it'll just be a question of figuring out what's what. If there are only a few, just plug a tv in and try different combinations until you get your head round it.