1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Home Building - Need Help From Scratch

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by VegasGary, Jul 22, 2003.

1. VegasGary

VegasGary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I don't know a lot about front projection. But I do know that my new house being built in Las Vegas has a large bonus room that I want to turn into a theater.

Now, if you had to build a home theater from scratch and tell the builder exactly what you wanted, what would you tell them?

This weekend I am meeting with the builder to go over those very specifications.

I know they offer ceiling fan mounts where they reinforce the ceiling to hold the weight of a ceiling fan. Thats what I want to do for the projector. I want them to add an electrical outlet right next to it as well. But the big question for me is:

**How far back from the wall do I put the mount?????

I don't have a projector model picked out yet, and I probably won't for about a year (house will be finished next year). So I don't know if I will get a CRT or LCD or what. I figure my budget will be right around $2,000 or so.

I don't want to lose quality, brightness or clarity because the mount was put too far back.

Also, please assume that the room will be dark enough to run a projector. I plan on getting blackout curtains and such.

Lastly, I don't know alot about the projector screens, but I hear keeping a screen clean is important. So I am planning on having an electric screen. You know, the type where you flip a switch and it comes out of the rolled up hiding place. I assume I should put that on a switch also? Any ideas on screens, or is there anything to consider now when building the house for when I install a screen later??

So, have away at it! Please give me all advice necesarry!!! My appointment is this saturday!

If you have questions or need to contact me directly, please feel free to email me.

Thanks in advance!

Gary

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi and welcome to the forums.

Boy, have you got you're work cut out for you !! My instant reaction to this is that it would be impossible to get you up to speed on-thread in such a short period of time. You could try avsforum.com - this forumis primarily UK and Europe based, there's a far bigger "pool" of home theater builders in the US, and avsforum has a pretty active "home theater Builders" forum where you might link up with an enthusiast in your own area who could offer advice.

You can't really decide the throw distance without having decided on a projector - if you go the LCD or DLP route weight wouldn't be a problem; if you did choose CRT that would be a different matter. Reinforcement should be possible in advance of a CRT installation in any event, so you could concentrate on ensuring that you have adequate power supplies laid on, and get the electrician to install "fish" wires so you can have more cables installed easily later.

Hope you have fun,

Sean G.

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi

I am having a barn converted (6-8 weeks and Im in). I have had a wall built into my lounge that is 12ft6" in width (its the back of a built in cupboard). I have a Panny 300 projector which is ceiling mounted 14ft from this wall. With minimum zoom (ie nil) I will achieve a 8ft by 4 1/2ft 16:9 screen (hopefully ceiling mounted electric, Kramer powerbuy permitting). Undneath this screen I am having a 8ft by 9 inch hole cut out. This hole will house my amp, dvd player, cd player, centre speaker and Sky+ (only the fronts of these units showing).

When I measured this out on site with projector and dvd player set up the picture size and quality where spot on.

Room size is 21 ft6" by 18ft6" and my seating position will be about 15-17ft from screen.

I dont know how to attach photos or I would have. I know the above sounds strange but if you can decypher it then...

Jack

4. VegasGary

VegasGary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, can you give me an average range that a $2,000 projector will be from the wall?

I am guessing maybe 12-15 feet and I would be ok?

Also, quickly, what are the advantages/disadvantages to CRT vs LCD?

For $2,000 what quality LCD would I get? I assume LCD is better than CRT?

Thanks.

5. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hmm, If you posted that on the CRT forum you'd probably be lynched.

I wont go into the details of CRT v LCD (search the forums) however CRT is generally regarded as having a more film/like image but are expensive, heavier and require more maintenance and are difficult to calibrate well. LCD and DLP are cheaper, easier to setup, give a brighter image (more suitable for PC use) however struggle to render true blacks and can suffer from digital artifacts - pixelisation, screendoor, motion blurring etc.... Please chip in guys if I missed anything!!!

Giving an average range for a projector would be pretty pointless as they can vary widely from that image. For instance take 2 PJs which are close to your price range. I own the Panasonic AE300 LCD and project an image of 92" (diag) from about 10 feet. This is considered quite a short-throw PJ. If you went for the Sony HS-10 (a long throw PJ) to project the same image you might need to go back another 4 or 5 feet (any of you sony guys know the exact figure)

6. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Gary,

There is no need to think about your projector untill the room is completed. Projectors are flexible once you have one you can set it up for the rooml.

Your main question is at the build stage what should I tell the builder I want for my home cinema room.

Most importantly at a build stage you can ask for the room to be well insulated, so that the sound from the cinema doesnt travel round the house.

You may also want to stipulate the size of the room, Im not sure what is the best accoustics etc, maybe some can advice on this.

Dependant on your room size you can then choose a Screen, and get it installed.

Once you have the house bulit and its near completion you can take your projector (what ever one you have decided on) round and set it up, testing where it is best suited for you to position it, then you mount the projector and get a fixed power point for it.

Ps. If you have lots of money get some US AV people to come round and design a home cinema for you. :)

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I feel a "Dennis Erskine" moment coming on.....................;)

Sean G.

8. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Dennis Erskine, who the facks he :)

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :boring:

Check this out. Dennis Erskine is a very well known home theater designer.

Sean G.

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    He used to work for BT dincha know? :)

Gary.

11. Chaos Star

Chaos Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Ah okay once again I show my ingnorance, except my most humble of apoligies :) and duff spelling.