New home build... living room av install

This is a KEF 5160RL 5.2.2 install that we completed last year. Sounds excellent.
D319B781-5FB4-47DD-A83E-40CBFFFAB566.jpeg
5C5DA731-0F65-4F21-A86B-1736EE23E077.jpeg

Are those windows / sliding doors? If so what are you doing about light/blackout?

I have very similar floor to ceiling tilt and fold windows. Even though they have blinds within the glass there would probably be too much light for a projector, even with ambient screen.

Hi MJ

Yes, sliding doors onto our balcony... which faces due South! Don't worry, we're up in Scotland so the constant dreich gray sky or swarms of midges should keep it dark enough to watch the projector :rotfl:

We haven't sorted out the blinds situation yet... too busy trying to build the house, but once we're in we will find a solution. I've just purchased a LG C9 65" OLED to sit on the wall above the fireplace and I suspect this will be our main form of viewing. Projector / Lift / Screen will mainly be used for family film nights - all of this cost less to put in than the expense of going to the 77" LG C9 OLED so was an absolute no brainer to do. The Optoma UHD52ALV is apparently 3500 lumens and appears pretty bright so far in testing :smashin:

This is a KEF 5160RL 5.2.2 install that we completed last year. Sounds excellent.
View attachment 1240525View attachment 1240526

Stunning looking room! I absolutely love the look of the Kef speakers... sooooo tempted not to hide them under their grilles. I cannot wait to get our system fired up. I should be able to test it out sometime before we move in (hopefully end of March). :)

Stunning looking room! I absolutely love the look of the Kef speakers... sooooo tempted not to hide them under their grilles. I cannot wait to get our system fired up. I should be able to test it out sometime before we move in (hopefully end of March). :)
Yes our client has left the grills off as well👌

The stock grills aren't nice. I've ordered the optional fabric ones.

Didn't realise they did fabric grilles... How much were they?
I was planning on spraying the 5160 grilles dark grey / black, which will help them to blend in with the slate wall. Likewise, sort out the rear speaker grilles to match with whatever paint colour we are using.

Didn't realise they did fabric grilles... How much were they?
I was planning on spraying the 5160 grilles dark grey / black, which will help them to blend in with the slate wall. Likewise, sort out the rear speaker grilles to match with whatever paint colour we are using.
They were a £120 each! Crazy considering. They do look nice though.

I was going to say, "£360 for grilles... no way!"
Then I saw your photos and thought, "Dammit - they look good" :rotfl:

Fitted the Ci5160 speakers into the wall today... They are seriously good looking speakers 🔊👌😁

Attachments

• 20200201_143401.jpg
    20200201_143401.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 181
  • 20200201_143700.jpg
    20200201_143700.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 160
  • 20200201_143628.jpg
    20200201_143628.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 153
Well, finally pulled the trigger on the AV receiver... got a very good deal on a new Denon AVC-X8500H from Richer Sounds (apparently only 5 left in the warehouse and no more on order - next gen out in July/Aug include HDMI2.1 but can't wait that long and I don't need it!).

Hoping this is enough to power the 3x Ci5160s plus the 6x Ci200RS ceiling / surrounds. If not, I've got the Iota AVXP1 amp on order which should take care of the L/C/R and rear surrounds, leaving the Denon to take care of the 4 ceiling speakers. I'm hoping to test it out at some point over the weekend now that the rear speaker enclosures have been finished. 🎼🔊;)

Unfortunately lockdown has meant we haven't moved in just yet but I've been busy decorating to edge us closer towards completion.
The Optimum stand arrived and John very kindly changed over the posts as I decided the Denon 8500 had more than enough grunt to drive the speakers without needing the help from the Iota.
Handy having that there so I could listen to Spotify whilst wrestling with the wallpaper! 😂
20200418_200057.jpg

20200418_200213.jpg

loving how it’s taken shape. Who knew when you first started we would be in this crazy global situation right now.
your celling has really grown on me. Never was a fan of the design but I like yours as the sides are abit wider. Are you doing anything with the middle bit of your celling? LEDs etc?

The speakers blend in so beautifully. Is that the final finish on that wall?
loving the 3 contrasting wall colours.
Btw... did you ever see the 5160RL in black/copper finish. Crazy price for each but the look 😍

loving how it’s taken shape. Who knew when you first started we would be in this crazy global situation right now.
your celling has really grown on me. Never was a fan of the design but I like yours as the sides are abit wider. Are you doing anything with the middle bit of your celling? LEDs etc?

The speakers blend in so beautifully. Is that the final finish on that wall?
loving the 3 contrasting wall colours.
Btw... did you ever see the 5160RL in black/copper finish. Crazy price for each but the look 😍

Cheers!

Exactly - crazy times we live in at present.

We will have a colour changeable LED strip running around inside edge illuminating upwards... Probably set it to a purple hue to match the thistles ;)
The Projector will be hidden with a ply cover so the ceiling looks flush when it is not in use (the Screenint SI30 projector lift comes with the threaded dowel rods to allow you to do this).

Yes, the walls are finished now - the central wall is a matt black tile, the rear and side walls were colour matched to match the background colour of the wallpaper. I was toying with painting the grilles on the rear speakers to match the wall but the white grilles don't stand out too badly in the room.

Yep, those black and copper Ci5160REF-THX are absolutely stunning 😍 but at £7500 each that was never in budget!!!

Last edited:
Absolutely stunning room and setup! Did you consider acoustically transparent screen for larger size as the tv wall have much clearance on both side? Also likes the ceiling design, can I ask the height of your room? Just wondering if I can have something similar when I have the extension done but my ceiling is about 2.45m so a bit low for this type of design I think.

Absolutely stunning room and setup! Did you consider acoustically transparent screen for larger size as the tv wall have much clearance on both side? Also likes the ceiling design, can I ask the height of your room? Just wondering if I can have something similar when I have the extension done but my ceiling is about 2.45m so a bit low for this type of design I think.

Many thanks!

To be honest, I couldn't find a retractable acoustically transparent screen that would come anywhere close to budget! Most of the cheaper AT motorised screens have a black section at the top which is the AT section, so the centre speaker would have been close to the ceiling. Like you say, the wall is pretty large, so in the future I may 'upgrade' to a larger AT screen if the home cinema is a hit with the family.

Our ceiling is around 2.7-2.75m with the drop down section around 2.6m I think :)

Looks gorgeous and loving how it’s coming along.
I’m sure Iv said it before but I do love your celling and the wide sofit that runs around the edges (is that what’s it’s called?)
Did you get any pics of your celling being built?
Ok just took a second to look at the view and windows.
Wow. That’s a view to die for.

Many thanks!
Yep, we were incredibly lucky finding that site and the house has pretty much been designed around those views. I suspect I'll spend more time looking out of the windows than at the TV screen!

Here are a couple of before / during photos of the soffit construction:

We have a hefty steel frame running through the house. It made sense to lower the ceiling to run services through... last thing you want to be doing is cutting holes in structural steel. That then gave us plenty of room to run cables, pipes and, importantly, ceiling speakers! The projector lift was installed into a gap created by trimming back one of the floor joists. No major problem as there are so many running across the ceiling no structural integrity was lost.
Talking about lost, I'm struggling to find the control buttons for the screen lift -aaarrgghh!! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom